996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Is the 911 Turbo an EXOTIC car?
I own a 911 Turbo and yes, it IS an exotic
35.26%
I own a 911 Turbo and no, it's NOT an exotic
42.95%
I don't own a 911 Turbo and yes, it IS an exotic
7.69%
I don't own a 911 Turbo and no, it's NOT an exotic
14.10%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

911 Turbo...is it an EXOTIC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I think the commonality with the normal 911's kills it for me. Plus the design is not sleek like a Pagani, Ferrari, etc. which I consider exotics.

I love the car, but exotic is a bit overboard IMO. For any 911.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 PM
JC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really nice
Obviously the definition of 'exotic' in terms of sports cars has been overused in many occasions. My vote is no, a 911 Turbo is not a traditional exotic, but in that case neither is a GTR. A GT2 however, IMO can be considered an exotic. Because of it not being available in the US and a low production run, the e46 M3 CSL is in my opinion is an exotic, but this opens up a different can of worms.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
yup, not an exotic, no more than a 430, 360, 355, etc. Supercar yes

This is an exotic:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/P...ign=newsletter

Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
i think it goes like this,it's fast,it's sleek,and you see very few on the road...hey alex they made lots of nash ramblers too i seldom see one of the on the hwy, but they are not fast, sleek, but they are ulgy as hell are they exotic?? he he

Old 06-25-2009, 04:22 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
rats!!!!! i thought i had an exotic, now i gonna have to get an hudson hornet now thats an exotic (havent see one in many many years and they were fast in the 50 i'told)

Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 PM
mcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nice
not an exotic but a supercar

that's what I care about.. however most people I work with who do not have any type of sports car consider it an exotic..

If you look in evo you'll see it's classified as a supercar (GTR is a sports car funny enough)

Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 PM
ishmerc is infamous around these parts
It is if you can't afford one like me .

Last edited by ishmerc; 06-25-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:15 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
GT2 -> Exotic
TT -> Fricken awesome allround supercar

Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrWhite
GT2 -> Exotic
TT -> Fricken awesome allround supercar

nah, GT2 is not an exotic either. Same body/structure as all the other 911's in the line just like was said about the TT. Supercar yes

Old 06-25-2009, 10:05 PM
coastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Prche951
yup, not an exotic, no more than a 430, 360, 355, etc. Supercar yes

This is an exotic:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/P...ign=newsletter
I love that car. Had a nice high res picture of the Zonda R as my work computer desktop...ahhh I could just sit and dream about it for hours.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:26 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
nah, GT2 is not an exotic either. Same body/structure as all the other 911's in the line just like was said about the TT. Supercar yes
I'm too lazy to search out the GT2 production numbers (world production), but I'm pretty sure that based on the US numbers, there were less than 500 996 GT2's ever made. Regardless of the semantics of "super car" or "exotic", which no one has been able to actually define in a way that a majority of us can agree on, 996 GT2 production, at a minimum, makes the 2 a very special car. And as the years go by, and the hybrids and electric s**t cans take over, I predict the 996 GT2, with it's "last of a breed" moniker (rear wheel drive, no traction control, factory lightened, no sunroof, lack of electric toys and conveniences,) as well as the fact that it is based upon the classic 911, will make it a very sought after collector car. Whether that makes it an exotic or not, I don't know.

As for the TT, my opinion is that the way some of you guys have modded your TT's, they are definitely very special cars. When you consider how boring and blah most cars have become, the TT is very exotic. Also, remember that although the TT is not a 200K car, it is a 100+K car, and thats about 4X the average American's yearly salary. From that point of view, the TT is very, very special. I agree with the vast majority of the posts on this thread that it is not an "exotic" in the classic, Ferrari, Lambo, Carrera GT sense, but who cares when you are behind the wheel and tearing it up, just enjoy it!

Last edited by MTheory; 06-25-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
No it’s not an exotic.

It’s a 911!

Instantly recognisable.

Let me tell you a little funny story; a week ago I left my car on the drive. All at the certain my dog started to bark and as I looked out the window two young blokes were taking photos of the car with their cell phones. My mother went to the gate and said; what are you doing? You can’t just photo the car. I was listening from afar and guys said; mrs do you know what car this is? It’s a 911 turbo. Whose is it? My mum said hers. They laughed aloud. (I was pissing myself). Then one said. We are taking photos because it’s so beautiful. This car is right there with a Ferrari or Lamborghini said the other one. Anyway I came out and we talked horses, acceleration figures, top speed etc. They were two students selling some bin bags (I bought a pack) and was wondering if they were genuine or was it the sales tactics. Ha ha ha. Anyway whatever it was it I think it illustrates the point.

So, not an exotic but a 911 turbo – better.

Last edited by Terminator; 06-26-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:28 AM
Broker404 is infamous around these partsBroker404 is infamous around these parts
I agree that stock 996TT's are supercars, but not necessarily exotic.

I don't usually think of a modified car being exotic, but since out cars are at least supercars, sometimes a modified 911 Turbo can put it into the next class, possibly being considered exotic. Especially something like a TechArt GTSreetRS.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by MTheory
I'm too lazy to search out the GT2 production numbers (world production), but I'm pretty sure that based on the US numbers, there were less than 500 996 GT2's ever made. Regardless of the semantics of "super car" or "exotic", which no one has been able to actually define in a way that a majority of us can agree on, 996 GT2 production, at a minimum, makes the 2 a very special car. And as the years go by, and the hybrids and electric s**t cans take over, I predict the 996 GT2, with it's "last of a breed" moniker (rear wheel drive, no traction control, factory lightened, no sunroof, lack of electric toys and conveniences,) as well as the fact that it is based upon the classic 911, will make it a very sought after collector car. Whether that makes it an exotic or not, I don't know.

As for the TT, my opinion is that the way some of you guys have modded your TT's, they are definitely very special cars. When you consider how boring and blah most cars have become, the TT is very exotic. Also, remember that although the TT is not a 200K car, it is a 100+K car, and thats about 4X the average American's yearly salary. From that point of view, the TT is very, very special. I agree with the vast majority of the posts on this thread that it is not an "exotic" in the classic, Ferrari, Lambo, Carrera GT sense, but who cares when you are behind the wheel and tearing it up, just enjoy it!

Again, the misconception about exotic. Exotic is something extremely rare and wild looking, hence the term exotic, IMO, the GT2 and the turbo do not apply. To me, an exotic would be a Lambos with flip up doors, gull wind doors, etc. CarreraGT, Zonda, F1, etc.

GT2 looks just like the basic 911 except beefed up to be a true supercar. TT as well. They are supercars. But who cares, if you wanna call it an exotic, that is fine.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Ray C. is infamous around these parts
Here are 3 definitions from dictionaries:

exotic definition
ex·otic (eg zätik, ig-)
adjective
  1. foreign; not native
  2. strange or different in a way that is striking or fascinating; strangely beautiful, enticing, etc.
Etymology: L exoticus < Gr exōtikos < exō, outside: see ex-

noun
  1. a foreign or imported thing
  2. a plant that is not native
  3. exotic dancer

1ex·ot·ic Pronunciation: \ig-ˈzä-tik\ Function: adjective Etymology: Latin exoticus, from Greek exōtikos, from exō Date: 1599 1: introduced from another country : not native to the place where found <exotic plants>2archaic : foreign, alien3: strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual <exotic flavors>

Adjective
1. having a strange allure or beauty
2. originating in a foreign country; not native

Beauty is subjective but most would agree that the TT is beautiful.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 Turbo...is it an EXOTIC?