996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Is the 911 Turbo an EXOTIC car?
I own a 911 Turbo and yes, it IS an exotic
35.26%
I own a 911 Turbo and no, it's NOT an exotic
42.95%
I don't own a 911 Turbo and yes, it IS an exotic
7.69%
I don't own a 911 Turbo and no, it's NOT an exotic
14.10%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

911 Turbo...is it an EXOTIC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:23 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
Again, the misconception about exotic. Exotic is something extremely rare and wild looking, hence the term exotic, IMO, the GT2 and the turbo do not apply. To me, an exotic would be a Lambos with flip up doors, gull wind doors, etc. CarreraGT, Zonda, F1, etc.

GT2 looks just like the basic 911 except beefed up to be a true supercar. TT as well. They are supercars. But who cares, if you wanna call it an exotic, that is fine.
See Below:

Originally Posted by MTheory
. . . And as the years go by, and the hybrids and electric s**t cans take over, I predict the 996 GT2, with it's "last of a breed" moniker (rear wheel drive, no traction control, factory lightened, no sunroof, lack of electric toys and conveniences,) as well as the fact that it is based upon the classic 911, will make it a very sought after collector car. Whether that makes it an exotic or not, I don't know.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
See Below:
I agree. Collector for sure, supercar? no doubt. Exotic, up to interpretation.

I if you live somewhere, where you don't see many turbos or GT2's etc, then it would be an exotic. Heck in the right place, a C4s could be an exotic. But I see Turbos, GT2's, 430's, 360's, gallardo's weekly, so to me these aren't exotics. Definitely more exotic than vettes however.

let me add that your car with it's high hp tune probably makes it more of an exotic. But I am talking totally stock.

I think 90% of the turbos on this forum qualify for exotic supercars, because most are putting out 600+bhp, which puts them in a stratospheric class of sports cars. Look at the autothority turbo cars, techart turbo cars, that came modded right after they left the factory. those cars were hitting $200k to $260k, definitely an exotic.

this is a fun discussion because it is all open to interpretation.

Last edited by Prche951; 06-26-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:15 AM
SaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really nice
IMO, an Exotic is something that is out of reach to most people, either because of price or limited availablity (which is usually effected by price). Therefore, I don't believe a Turbo to be exotic. A GT2 should be because of it's limited avaliablity.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:28 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
I would put the 2005 Turbo S In the Exotic catagory. Only just, but I would say it is there. As it was really only made in one year.

SWR

Old 06-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I would put the 2005 Turbo S In the Exotic catagory. Only just, but I would say it is there. As it was really only made in one year.

SWR
Yeah, the DeLorean is an exotic as well by this admission.

Originally Posted by SaintGT2
IMO, an Exotic is something that is out of reach to most people, either because of price or limited availablity (which is usually effected by price). Therefore, I don't believe a Turbo to be exotic. A GT2 should be because of it's limited avaliablity.

So a car that retails for 130-150k is IN the reach of most people? I guess we don't live in the same planet. And I am sure you do not wish to bring up used prices. Used GT2's are going for less than turbos went for new. You logic does not stand.

But really, far be it for anyone to burst your bubble, call it an exotic, most people would agree that the GT2, Turbo and GT3 are exotics. oops I forgot the TurboS.

Hmmm, a new Loaded Targa 997 carreraS sells for more than what you can get a used Turbo, GT2, GT3, for. And they are rare. So I guess the Targa is an exotic

Old 06-27-2009, 09:38 AM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
It all depends on who your asking...........................

Old 06-27-2009, 10:22 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Hey, The DeLorean IS the only car I'm aware of with a flux capacitor...I'd say it's exotic

Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by g8rdmd
Hey, The DeLorean IS the only car I'm aware of with a flux capacitor...I'd say it's exotic
and it's very rare buick V6 motor But you got me, it can time travel.

Funny, last night went to a local cruise spot and my Tuned TT was definitely considered the exotic by the locals who all had, evo's, sti's, G8's, vettes, etc. Not to say I was faster because I am sure there were several cars there that could run faster than most TT's, but just the rare factor. When I go to the 1/4 mile, it is also an exotic and I have had the tech inspection guys call my car an exotic, "we never see exotics like this here." In fact, the guy went to the front of the car to see my engine on two different visits So it is all a matter of interpretation. To me an exotic is a CarreraGT, Enzo, Zonda, F1, 959, stratospheric cars that you rarely see anywhere. But to many people our cars are those cars. Just not to most of us.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:15 PM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
No vote from me.
I use mine as a daily driver.
I also have a Ferrari 348 that I do consider exotic.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:22 PM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by g8rdmd
True!

Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by simon
No vote from me.
I use mine as a daily driver.
I also have a Ferrari 348 that I do consider exotic.

not to rag on your 348, but hmmm you can get one for $37k or less these days. Not an exotic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-Ferrari-348-TS-serviced-less-than-300-miles_W0QQitemZ190316959365QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item2c4fc65685&_trksid=p4506.c0.m2 45&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A317|240%3A1318

Old 06-27-2009, 06:56 PM
SaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really nice

So a car that retails for 130-150k is IN the reach of most people? I guess we don't live in the same planet. And I am sure you do not wish to bring up used prices. Used GT2's are going for less than turbos went for new. You logic does not stand.

But really, far be it for anyone to burst your bubble, call it an exotic, most people would agree that the GT2, Turbo and GT3 are exotics. oops I forgot the TurboS.

Hmmm, a new Loaded Targa 997 carreraS sells for more than what you can get a used Turbo, GT2, GT3, for. And they are rare. So I guess the Targa is an exotic

As you said earlier, this is open to interpretation. I still stand by my logic (well it is mine)

By your omission, most cars produced in the luxury category would be an exotic, as they retail for 100K+

EXOTIC=intriguingly unusual or different; excitingly strange, not the norm.

Therefore it really comes down to what is norm for you. Earlier you did say that you don’t think it is an exotic, because they are everywhere, where you live, yet later on you say it is an exotic because lots of people in your area told you, did you just move?

Anyone from Dubai would think a Ferrari or Porsche and 100's of other cars new or old would never be an exotic.

Therefore I will restate a little more clearer, (I’m talking stock here, as most of the cars on this forum are exotic because of all the mods etc, making them intriguingly unusual or different; excitingly strange).

Any car that is out of reach for most by pure price or has limited availability (but had to be popular in the first place-the DeLoreanis is not) is an Exotic IMO. So you can say a new Turbo to be an exotic, but an older Turbo is not. So overall if there are more pre 100K+ cars out there than post 100K+ then based on the majority of the category turbos……. No……. a turbo is not an exotic IMO, hence my first post. A GT2 would only be classed this if it is rare or price by the majority of its catorgory.

However if you want to call your car exotic, a supercar or anything else, then cheers to you….enjoy it.

Great topic………

Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SaintGT2
As you said earlier, this is open to interpretation. I still stand by my logic (well it is mine)

By your omission, most cars produced in the luxury category would be an exotic, as they retail for 100K+

EXOTIC=intriguingly unusual or different; excitingly strange, not the norm.

Therefore it really comes down to what is norm for you. Earlier you did say that you don’t think it is an exotic, because they are everywhere, where you live, yet later on you say it is an exotic because lots of people in your area told you, did you just move?

Anyone from Dubai would think a Ferrari or Porsche and 100's of other cars new or old would never be an exotic.

Therefore I will restate a little more clearer, (I’m talking stock here, as most of the cars on this forum are exotic because of all the mods etc, making them intriguingly unusual or different; excitingly strange).

Any car that is out of reach for most by pure price or has limited availability (but had to be popular in the first place-the DeLoreanis is not) is an Exotic IMO. So you can say a new Turbo to be an exotic, but an older Turbo is not. So overall if there are more pre 100K+ cars out there than post 100K+ then based on the majority of the category turbos……. No……. a turbo is not an exotic IMO, hence my first post. A GT2 would only be classed this if it is rare or price by the majority of its catorgory.

However if you want to call your car exotic, a supercar or anything else, then cheers to you….enjoy it.

Great topic………
I agree that there is definitely a sense of "one man's exotic is another man's daily driver" about this thread. I keep saying that there is no established definition of "exotic" to go by. For example, even the term "sports car", which has a relatively settled and accepted definition is abused by car builders and owners alike. The term "exotic" is even more unsettled. In other words, we could keep this thread going for years.

When I was a kid I heard an older guy say "For every supermodel there's a guy somewhere who's sick and tired of F**king her". That sort of applies to some of the people who have posted on this thread - in a car sense, of course. What I mean is, we may get so used to our cars that to us they may seem pedestrian when for 99.9% of the population they are WOW!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:11 AM
I agree that there is definitely a sense of "one man's exotic is another man's daily driver" about this thread. I keep saying that there is no established definition of "exotic" to go by. For example, even the term "sports car", which has a relatively settled and accepted definition is abused by car builders and owners alike. The term "exotic" is even more unsettled. In other words, we could keep this thread going for years.

When I was a kid I heard an older guy say "For every supermodel there's a guy somewhere who's sick and tired of F**king her". That sort of applies to some of the people who have posted on this thread - in a car sense, of course. What I mean is, we may get so used to our cars that to us they may seem pedestrian when for 99.9% of the population they are WOW!!!!!!

100% Spot On (but can't we all dream that we are that guy?)

Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Prices have dumped on everything. 348's for 36k, NSX's for 20k, Turbos between 44-70k, GT2's from 80k, etc. Todays prices are based on a horrible economy.

I still stand by my point that an exotic is a stratospheric car, not a 100k-200k car. IMO, until you reach the price point where most people even well to do cannot or will not buy, that is exotic. To me that price point is 300k plus. You can get R8's, Gallardos, 360's 430's fairly low these days. None of these are exotics IMO. Murcielagos, CarreraGT's, Enzo, are the point where price is an issue.

But far be it for me to deny anyone there opinion. Call it an exotic, I think most would agree. I call it a supercar which is what it is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 Turbo...is it an EXOTIC?