996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSS10’s – The Analysis.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
PSS10’s – The Analysis.

Ok all done. It took my mechanic 5 hours to complete the install. I’ve helped a little – emphasis on the little. The rears were easy, the fronts a bit trickier but the job is no biggy.

We carried out the corner balancing. With me in the car at 95kg it would be impossible to corner balance. It is become clear to me I must lose weight – if I were a 50kg F1 driver - corner balancing would work. Instead we corner balanced the car empty (full tank of fuel). Once nearly perfect (within 1.5kg) I was left with the rear right 1.6 cm higher than the rear left. Car looked stupid as viewed from rear you could see its being pissed to the left. We decided to level it flat. It was still reading 100% tolerance no more than 15kg difference between the diagonal wheels. Good enough for me and for the street. Rears; 643mm – ground to the wheel arch, fronts; 638. Front spoiler lip is 100mm off the ground. Alignment was then carried out. I’ve used GT2 specs floating around this board. My alignment guy agreed mostly with them but changed some values based on his experience. For the first time I drove off an alignment with a steering wheel straight and no pull to any direction. I’ve concluded that it really is the knowledge of your workshop to get it right - the rest is all BS! He did say; it’s a tricky car to get right. Computer values given by Porsche seem slightly off. Maybe on purpose to force us the main dealers route in order to have our steering wheels pointing straight? Ha!

Ok the drive; I’ve set it 5F/5R to begin with. I was surprised as I drove off how compliant the drive was. I thought Christ no difference, I am unsure I like this.... Quick left right as the car and tyres warmed up and - wow - tight, responsive and quick to turn. Went to my favourite road and this is the deal; these shocks really soak up the bumps compliantly and feel quite soft initially as a result but once on the go they are brilliant. No float anymore, really responsive and no slap-back. Quick turn left - they compress - turn back straight they rebound and stop and set back to the neutral position ready for the next turn - superb. High speed float is also gone. On the crest of a hill where I have usually floated and dropped these shocks nailed me back down with PSM light momentarily coming on! I bet because I was 10mph quicker just because of the confidence factor. Anyway I am speechless. I didn’t like car leaning towards over-steer on 5/5 setting though. I found the car a little too responsive with a stiff back-end for the street. So 6F/4R for me it is. The car retains more of a stock balance with pronounced under-steer and a little bit slower steering. I actually prefer under-steer on the street – too many times I was avoiding trees and fences with a handful of opposite lock - especially in my 944 Turbo S. For the track; I can’t wait to see how they will perform. Bottom line; I am happy, a definitive improvement over my stock shocks and H&R lowering springs.

Last edited by Terminator; 06-25-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Do the pss10's utilize stock mounts/plates?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
The ride height you set was GT2 spec?If so PSS10 works on bumpstops...Travel of the front shocks is only 5,5cm and from the pictures i saw you have it very low...

Old 06-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by adam699
Do the pss10's utilize stock mounts/plates?
Yes. However my top cup and bearings were shot, I've replaced.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by skandalis447
The ride height you set was GT2 spec?If so PSS10 works on bumpstops...Travel of the front shocks is only 5,5cm and from the pictures i saw you have it very low...
Not sure about GT2 ride height? I carried out GT2 spec alignment. PSS10 don’t ride bump stops at my ride height. PSS9's I believe had this problem -resolved with the tens.

Ps. 25.1 inches (front) and 25.3 inches (rear) is not excessive lowering or a problem for PSS10's from top of wheel fender to ground through centreline of wheel I was assured.

Last edited by Terminator; 06-25-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
When i installed pss10 i had this problem...car did not have suspension...at GT2 ride height front suspension is at the end of travel...

Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 AM
When i installed pss10 i had this problem...car did not have suspension...at GT2 ride height front suspension is at the end of travel...
Can’t be right mate... Stock USA car is 673mm. PSS9's lower by 30mm as recommended normal ride height setting - which is 643mm. If you go lower with PSS9's you might be running into difficulties. 10's you can lower further, that's the improvement with the 10's, Bilstein claims. I have not felt a bump stop yet. ;-).

Old 06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Maybe the difference is that ROW turbo is 2cm lower in front height...so we start from +2cm lowering without even lowering the car...

Old 06-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Maybe the difference is that ROW turbo is 2cm lower in front height...so we start from +2cm lowering without even lowering the car...
Maybe? But as you have quite rightly pointed out; my front ride height setting is right at the bottom of the adjustment on the PSS10's. Anyway, I have shot this question to Bilstein Germany directly with the photo. I would have thought though if they have allowed for that much adjustment the shocks should handle it all the way to the bottom of adjustment. Stay tuned I will report back, otherwise I will raise the car for 10mm or so. I will be as I love the way it drives now.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:45 PM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
I set my pss10 all the way down in the front also. I have no issues with bump stops. We looked for them... but didn't see any. I still have suspension travel.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by phillym5
I set my pss10 all the way down in the front also. I have no issues with bump stops. We looked for them... but didn't see any. I still have suspension travel.
Me too. . Waiting to hear from Bilstein.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 AM
After 500 miles, the car sagged 16mm at the front. I guess because I have also replaced mounting cups (rubber in them). I had to raise fronts back up. Scandalis447 you were right spotting this, the springs adjusters are now 25mm higher from the bottom as per my photos. ;-). My car now rides: 638mm (25.11 inches) fronts and 642 (25.27 inches) rears. No bump stop issues.

Last edited by Terminator; 06-29-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Mikkofin is infamous around these parts
If you dont mind me asking, where did you set the rear?
I mean how much thread showing from the bottom as compared to the 25mm in the front?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Mikkofin
I mean how much thread showing from the bottom as compared to the 25mm in the front?
I don't know mate. Next time car is raised I can check. But it's been a while now...

Old 11-18-2010, 04:34 PM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mikkofin
I think that here you can find all the answers you are looking for !

http://www.dvsegmbh.info/PDF/einbau/...M4-Y597A00.PDF

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSS10’s – The Analysis.