996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Helper springs on PSS9/10's. What do they do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:44 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Helper springs on PSS9/10's. What do they do?

I just noticed that the front helper springs on my PSS10's are not installed. I bought the car used with the suspension already on it. I've noticed that the front were very boucy over bumps and dips, so I raised the car up an additional .5" (I can fit 2 fingers between tire and fender) and softened up the shock to 1 (i have PSS10's so 1 is softest). If i go any firmer, the bounce returns and it gets very uncomfortable driving over 60 mph. Do you think that the helper springs could be the culprit? Has anyone removed them before and what were your observations? I pulled the part number on the front shock and I got E4-VM3-D539-H0 which does not match any part on bilsteins site or on this thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-bilstein.html
I didn't see the part number on the rears, but the spring had E4-FD1-Y504-A01 on it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Most cars come from the factory with a progressive rate spring... What that means is the progressive spring gets progressively stiffer as it compresses, allowing you to maintain a soft, street friendly ride at lower speeds.

The Pss9/10 comes with a straight rate spring. The rate of compression is static thru out the compression range, until you reach coil bind. "helper" springs give you a little "street friendly" range that the straight rate spring simply won't provide.

Don't get "shock compressiong and rebound" confused with spring rates... The two are not tied to the spring rate number... All of these components must work together, but are completely indepentant on how they work on their own... You must be able to combine the settings to provide the proper performance for a given application.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 06-28-2009 at 02:54 PM.