996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spoiler Uneven - Motor Check

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Gixxed_Spyder is infamous around these parts
Spoiler Uneven - Motor Check

So I decided to follow Flying Vipers orginal post and see if that set screw was the issue with my spoiler not going down all the way. I followed the instructions, and ran into a few "gotchyas" and took pics of them so the next guy who tries this is a bit more educated:

1. Get a big towel and cover the motor so nothing falls into the abyss like leaves or screws.
2. Remove the fan electrical connections(Pic 1) the clear connector just slides out, the other has a clip you have to lift and then wiggle out.
3. You may be able to slide those connectors from the fan thru the hole in the plastic housing that the fan is mounted to, but I decided to take the fan off to make it easier. This was a bit trickey as the fan is attached to bolts that spin. So just try to loosen the screws until you feel it spin and then you should be able to wiggle the fan mount out. If you do take the fan off, you need to remove the bolts with the rubber washers. Use some vice grips and grab the spinning bolt on the backside and you should be able to remove the screws without any issues.(Pic 2)
4. There are 4 capped nuts that hold the spoiler motor to the plast
5. Remove the 12 or so bolts that hold the plastic to the decklid. Don't forget the ones on the intake tube (Pic 3). You should now be able to pull the plastic back from the decklid(note at the top there is a strip of doublesided tape holding the plastic to the decklid, so you'll have to pull that off before it comes off the decklid.
6. You'll need to support the motor so it doesn't put pressure on the hydraulic lines, I used some old wire and tied it to the U catch on the decklid. (Pic 4)
7. Remove the electrical connections from the motor, they just slide out.
8. After you get it supported, you can take off the 4 screws holding the bracket on the motor end (See Pic 4). You don't need to take all the brackets off, just the ones closest to the motor.
9. You can now slide the motor out of the housing, this took some serious elbow grease but I eventually got it out by wiggling it.
10. When I pulled the motor out, I noticed this (Pic 5) The ball bearing ring popped off, I had to pull it out but I didn't want to get grease all down the chamber so I attached a magnet to a screwdriver and picked up the ring to pull it out. I slid the ring onto a long screwdriver and put the screwdriver into the hole and slid it back on.

Attached Images      
Old 06-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Gixxed_Spyder is infamous around these parts
Talking

From here you can remove the 3 screws on the end of the motor, then pop off the aluminum cap to get to the set screw, make sure its tight then reassemble.

The last gotchya, was that I couldn't slide the motor back in to line up with the holes. Turns out that inside the housing, it backed out somehow. All you have to do is to get a big flat head screwdriver and put it in the housing and turn it clockwise, this will compress it so you can put the motor in and line it up with the holes. This took me awhile to figure out...ugh. I kept thinking it wasn't aligned properly, but I just had to compress it.

So all in all, unfortuanately it didn't fix my issue. I sprayed some white lithium all over the cylinder and let it sit over night. It seems a bit better, but I can hear some mechanical clanks like its skipping threads on the gear inside the motor but I'm not sure.

Good luck!

Attached Images