996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Very urgent need help now!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Bankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these parts
Very urgent need help now!!

So i just parked the 911 in the driveway(left it for like 20 min), and I was going to go out again, so i tried to start it, and it wouldn't start! No it's not the battery, tried jumping no dice, and all electronics work...Need help now!!!! Any ideas? It doesn't even try to crank, not really.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bankai
So i just parked the 911 in the driveway(left it for like 20 min), and I was going to go out again, so i tried to start it, and it wouldn't start! No it's not the battery, tried jumping no dice, and all electronics work...Need help now!!!! Any ideas? It doesn't even try to crank, not really.
that sucks.
sounds like your ignition switch. If it is trying to crank but no crank then it could be the starter. like it goes click, then it may be the starter.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM
gwapo996tt is infamous around these parts
Mine did the same thing last week. I changed out the ignition switch. $52 dollar part at the dealer. Symptoms were all electronics worked except head lights and AC. Note: The switch is a couple of dollars cheaper at the Audi dealership.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Guys above could be right. But, you may want to check your alarm. I heard sometimes if the alarm goes off it will kill the starter. I am not sure if there is a reset somewhere.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MTheory
Guys above could be right. But, you may want to check your alarm. I heard sometimes if the alarm goes off it will kill the starter. I am not sure if there is a reset somewhere.

interesting. I haven't heard this. This is good to know if in fact the case.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 PM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MTheory
Not sure about this one, yesterday I was able to start the car while the alarm is going off

Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 PM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
As others have said, it might be the ignition cylinder - it's a common failure on the 996s.

I had mine taken to the shop once when I wasn't quite sure what was going on, as all the electronics still worked and it even kinda-sorta-not-really started to crank... turned out it was the battery. I had already replaced the ignition cylinder by that point, though.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
HokuLina is infamous around these parts
My ignition switch went out on my 996 last year. My headlights and the horn didn't work, but the car started fine. It does sound like a common problem, but it was the only issue I had in 3 years! Let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Bankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these parts
Ok guys, when i turn the key all the way to the right, NOTHING HAPPENS. no crank no anything, pretty much dead silence(Except for the whirring sound that u get when u turn it all the way to the right...i am going to try to jump it again today...battery was a lil below 12 volts...any more ideas? I heard if it was the igntition switch that I would have a hard time getting the key out etc(which is not happening to me). I also checked my floormats lol, sadly they were not impeding the clutch pedal.

Last edited by Bankai; 07-02-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Ok I just checked my battery voltage with a new portable starter i bought, it showed that it was at 13 volts, so it should be able to at least crank a little bit, but it doesn't...my horn, and headlights both work.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Your portable starter has a battery voltage checker on it? If it's showing 13, that seems unusual...because most batteries that are fully charged show at 12.7...they show 13 while the alternator is running. But if you have a portable charger, and you have it attached to the battery, the car should start. You must be taking the reading with the portable charger attached in order to get 13. Sounds like the ignition switch.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 AM
MariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the rough
Battery or ignition switch is my guess. The design of the ignition switch was changed in 03, so if your car is 01 / 02 (and maybe early 03?) the ignition switch is known to fail!

Had the ignition switch replaced last year, and changed to battery this week. Went for a drive, got home, car wouldn't start again. Changed battery and all good!

Old 07-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Your portable starter has a battery voltage checker on it? If it's showing 13, that seems unusual...because most batteries that are fully charged show at 12.7...they show 13 while the alternator is running. But if you have a portable charger, and you have it attached to the battery, the car should start. You must be taking the reading with the portable charger attached in order to get 13. Sounds like the ignition switch.
I attached it to the battery, and tried jumping it, it was oringally at 13 but it droppped to 12.7 LOLWTF?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
How old is the battery?

If it is 3 year or more, just buy a new battery. By the time you tow it somewhere to diagnose, the $100 for the new battery will be nothing. Could be a bad cell.

You can also just roll it down the hill and pop the clutch in 2nd gear to jump start it (assuming it is a manual)...people forget this...

A

Old 07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
It;s supposed to drop to 12.7 when you pull off the charger. Chargers...or your alternator usually charge a battery at 13-14 volts...but in standalone mode, a fully charged battery should read 12.7. If you leave the batter alone for a couple hours then check it again and it reads something like 12.5, then you've got a bad battery that won't hold a charge....but since you had it hooked up to the charger, it should have started....since it didn't....I go back to the switch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Very urgent need help now!!