996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Definitive 2005 996 Turbo "S" Flash Guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I had the wastegates done at Speed Gallery. They cut open the factory wastegates and put in stronger springs. This setup worked super well for 3 years. The actuator arms never snapped.

After doing the wastegates as a standalone upgrade (after exhaust and flash), my car really woke up. Super strong mid range and a solid top end. Before that, it felt very spongy in the midrange and the top end was inconsistent.

You CAN NOT program around the stock wastegates (to hold boost). the issue comes down to a basic issue of mechanical spring strength. The stock springs simply isn't strong enough to hold steady boost on a flashed K24 car.

Do your yourself a favor and do the wastegates as a standalone after driving the flashed and exhaust car fro some time. You will be impressed at the difference.

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Whose Wastegates did you use?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
I started a thread about this subject about 2+ weeks ago. Reseaching what the forum has to offer is a great. But it comes down to $$$ and how much do you want to spend and possible upgrade(s) now as to later, as much as picking a flash.

Looks like I will go with Softronic flash and a Clutch Masters Stage 3. This will allow me to upgrade to the K24/18 turbos along with the reflash (not at full price) and without changing the clutch again because of the bigger turbos. Even if I do not upgrade to the K24/18's the CM 3 will probably last a long time.

You need to replace the clutch sooner or later with the flash (depending how you drive, track, DE, etc.) My TT has 36K on the original clutch and from the info provided in this forum the clutch lasts about 35K-40K.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:58 AM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
I started a thread about this subject about 2+ weeks ago. Reseaching what the forum has to offer is a great. But it comes down to $$$ and how much do you want to spend and possible upgrade(s) now as to later, as much as picking a flash.

Looks like I will go with Softronic flash and a Clutch Masters Stage 3. This will allow me to upgrade to the K24/18 turbos along with the reflash (not at full price) and without changing the clutch again because of the bigger turbos. Even if I do not upgrade to the K24/18's the CM 3 will probably last a long time.

You need to replace the clutch sooner or later with the flash (depending how you drive, track, DE, etc.) My TT has 36K on the original clutch and from the info provided in this forum the clutch lasts about 35K-40K.
The Softronic flash is good, just be sure to do it during a weekday during business hrs as thats the only time they're around to send you the tuned file back. I didn't realize that and tried to do the flask on a Friday evening. Had to wait until Monday evenning to get the file back.

You'll have to let us know how you like that clutch, I'll be in the same boat in the next 10K miles or so. Are you going to do that yourself? I'm not sure what all is involved, but I'm guessing that's not something that I would be able to do.

Wonder what the labor charge is for that?

Let us know.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
CS, thank you for the tip to upgrade during business hours.

Going to my indie P mechanic to do the clutch install in the near future. I have read on this forum about some problems with the TO bearing failing and Porsche Motorsports being involved. Need to find out which kit(s) is/are involved before I proceed with my purchase.

First, I have a fresh new set of ATE rotors front and rear, no Zinc coating like the Zimmermann , but I got them for free , install with some Pagid Orange pads this week.

There will be a driving school at El Toro Air Base here in CA 7/17 and need to have some pads and rotor left for the drive home.