996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How does the Ruf Drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 03:24 PM
David Shapiro is infamous around these parts
How does the Ruf Drive?

Hi All.
I'm doing my DD regarding tuning of my soon-to-come Turbo Cab, and just got the price list for a Ruf Turbo conversion. I'd like to know from people who have one or driven one more than a few miles. Is it tractable? Is there much turbo lag? My aim is not take the car on the track. Not much sense in doing that to a covertible. I do want to get rid of as much turbo lag as possible, improve handling and the looks. I decided to check into Ruf since they offer a warranty, but it is only for 12 months. The program to send the tech to you sounds great.

Thanks,
David

Old 09-19-2003, 03:41 PM
Andrew708
David...the ruf conversion is awesome..........ask sean..he had a ruf conversion done in germany,good luck,and i suggest that you check all the porsche tuners in the us also......imagine is also awesome!!! good luck..you can also get the conversion done here!!!

Old 09-22-2003, 05:40 AM
Sean is infamous around these parts
David...as mentioned by Andrew, I have a R Turbo conversion. I opted for the European Delivery and drove the car to Ruf directly at Phaffenhausen facility. The Ruf client service experience was phenomenal. I was greeted by the master himself, Alois Ruf, his lovely wife Estonia and my sales rep Natalia. . I had an opportunity to drive the much acclaimed yellow R Turbo on the autobahn up to 190mph is effortless manner.

I have the 550hp/580tq conversion (includes: upgraded turbos, manifold, exhaust, air filter and remapped ecu) with the short shifter, adjustable suspension, front bumper and rear spoiler. The only other thing I did to the car was install the brembo 8-pot brakes and 4-pot for rear.

The option you’re considering which is to have the work done here by Ruf engineer is also a good one. I can assure you that you won’t be disappointed with the enhancement…..relentless power delivered in a drivable manner.

If you need any more info, feel free to email me at sean@woodroffe1.com. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2003, 07:22 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
RUF conversion is amazing, you wont be disappointed, there is actually less lagg from what i have heard, and the kick is quite considerable,

all the best
adam

Old 09-22-2003, 08:04 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
guys,
any known reliability issues with Ruf? i am thinking RTurbo is my next car...

Old 09-22-2003, 08:58 AM
Sean is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by watt
guys,
5k miles on mine and so far no issues at all. Albeit I am a moderately tame driver.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:38 AM
Fozzy is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by watt
guys,
Watt, a Ruf TT or a Ruf GT2? If the latter, it would be an absolute monster. Hells bells.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:11 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
fozzy,

i find my gt2 to be good as is, it would be a good candidate for the 550 kit as it already has an advanced suspension [ i believe it a mistake to convert a TT's engine w/o doing the suspension as well]. i'm not sure the car needs more power except perhaps for open road racing to 200 mph, which i'm not good enough for, and Roland who has a major experience base at high sustained speed recommends 4WD for increased stability.... and i need the IRC which Ruf does so well...

so looking into RTurbo as i said, pretty much written off RGT2 altho' i hear murmers Ruf is about to announce a further GT2 product....

Old 09-22-2003, 10:22 AM
deanger is infamous around these parts
Watt -- go narrowbody, AWD, Nardo engine. Get the car built for you. Once you're tried of it, sell it to me...

Old 09-22-2003, 11:21 AM
dean,

wouldn't that be nice? think i would keep it more than 6 months? i think so. btw, check your PM