996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to eliminate water spots?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:37 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
First strip the Rejex and wax. Use DI water. Reapply wax and Rejex.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:56 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Chad, the car has not had Rejex yet. I did wax it and that is why I used the Dawn was to strip any old wax. I can use DI to wash but again, the spots are not coming from the washing process. They are from the car sitting out after rain. I need to get them off. I understand that it is better to not Rejex over wax as this hurts the life of the Rejex.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Tim - I don't think you mentioned where the spots were coming from in your first post. Once you wash and dry your car to be streak free, apply Rejex. The rejex should help keep water spots from bothering you too much.

Old 10-29-2004, 12:02 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by greyghost
HIGH SPEED BUFFING IS THE ONLY SOLUTION... trust me! Oh yea, don't do it yourself. Get a professional.

don't even need to go high speed, an orbital could pull it off.

Old 10-29-2004, 01:09 AM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
I am not sure anything can stop the chicago rain from spotting your car. Get a canopy for the car or car cover if it is sitting outside.

Old 10-29-2004, 03:55 AM
Elderfart
rad22 is infamous around these parts
Try this...it worked beautifully on my daughter's C230K that sits outside all the time, day and night. It was covered in rain spots.

Wash with Dawn in hot water, rinsing frequently.

Dry with leaf blower, at least blow water off large flat surfaces.

Clean spotted areas vigorously with cotton cloth soaked copiously in full strength white vinegar.

Rinse entire car again with water, a lot of water.

Dry with leaf blower.

Apply Rejex.

Her car looked new again, trust me. Also, the vinegar won't cause any harm, so why not try it?

Old 10-29-2004, 09:40 PM
SteveL1 is infamous around these parts
Water spots can be one of the worst things to get out if they have been there a long time. Usualy the vinegar only works if you get to them pretty quickly. The only way to really get rid of then is to use an abrasive polish with a randon orbital or high speed buffer. Randon orbitals are pretty forgiving and can be used by most anyone with a little patience.

Start with 3M Swirl mark remover. If that does not work, you can go more agressive with 3M Finesse-It II. Follow up with Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion and your favorite wax. Mine happens to be Zaino for the everyday driver as it lasts forever and Rejex for the toys as it's so easy to apply and remove. Just does not last as long for me as the Zaino though.

The trick to keepin spots away is to never park near a lawn sprinkler!!! If your car gets hit and dries in the sun, your toast! Rain water ni your area can also be a problem but unless you can park inside all the time, there's not much you can do.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Steve: Thanks, I think that is exactly what happened. I had a broken head on our sprinkler system and it got the car. I will try the vinegar over the weekend and if that doesn't work, I'll try the polishing with swirl remover as you suggest.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
I am telling you that high speed buffing is the only thing that will get nasty hard water spots out. They may not be as bad as what I had so something less agressive might work but be prepared for the worst.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:12 AM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like mild "hard water etching" or "acid rain etching"...you need an abrasive polish, find a professional detailer...im retired

Old 10-30-2004, 04:45 AM
Thanks guys. With your help, I now think I have the full story. While I was putting in my garage floor (epoxy and tiles), I parked the E55 outside for about 5 days. I didn’t know that one of my sprinkler heads on my irrigation system was spraying the car. This is where the sever water spots came from. The spots are only on the front drivers side corner of the car, closest to the sprinkler head.

I tried rubbing with vinegar. I didn’t use a lot and didn’t rub a lot but it didn’t work. I will try that again first but I am not too optimistic.

Here is a shot of the worst are. As you can see (I hope – New Canon 580EX flash on my Canon EOS 1D markII), it’s pretty damn bad. The car is black so it really shows.

If this doesn’t work, my local detail shop said he can try it and be as gentle as possible but he thinks it may take enough work that he can’t guarantee no swirl marks. He uses Maguire’s products. Any suggestions?

Old 11-09-2004, 01:40 AM
chucksweet is a glorious beacon of lightchucksweet is a glorious beacon of lightchucksweet is a glorious beacon of lightchucksweet is a glorious beacon of lightchucksweet is a glorious beacon of light
I am building a new garage and I have checked with a couple of local "water stores" and they all are suggesting that instead of deionized water that I get a Reverse Osmosis system. Has anybody tried this? Thoughts?

Thanks
Chuck

Old 11-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
The vinegar will help break down the mineral deposits from the water but will do nothing to remove the etches. Start with something mild... try a swirl mark remover and an orbital, then step up to a mild compound. Should that not work you may want to let the pros have a go with a high speed polisher and something more aggresive.