996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to eliminate water spots?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:15 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
How to eliminate water spots?

I washed (dawn and then clay bar) the black E55 and was going to Rejex but noticed water spots still there. WTH? Any suggestions on how to get rid of them or will the Rejex take care of it?

And yes, I know with the name Blong King I should know the answer to this but I don't.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Moogle is infamous around these parts
MR. Clean auto dry car wash

Old 10-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
There are several ways to attack this.

To solve your existing problem on your just-clayed car, use a "quick detailer" like Mother's, Meguiar's, or any of the many similar products.

To solve the problem in the future, you can try any/all of the following:

1. Make sure you wash/dry in a shaded, cool area.

2. Invest in soft water. This will prevent mineral deposits from drying white on your car (and the rest of your house for that matter).

3. Invest in deionized water. It is more expensive to maintain that soft water, and it will be especially effective when combined with soft water. The deionized water will prevent water from "sticking" to your car. It will cause water to bead off your car, this not allowing it to dry into a spot.

3. Use extra absorbent 100% cotton, U.S. made towels or Microfiber polyester towels to dry your car. The P21S drying chamois works pretty well also.

There are a lot of other people on this board with more experience than me (soon2be, for example), but I thought I'd throw in my 2 pfenigs.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Thanks. This has me a little surprised. Here is what I did. I wetted the car with a spray hose. Used Dawn and a fluffy mitt to wash the car, rinsing very frequently, and using a big bucket with clean water. I keep the car quite wet and only wash a small section at a time so that I can't get any spotting. This usually means the car is sprayed every 2 minutes. I also usually only wash on shady days.

When I have the top half of the car washed, I dry it, usually using a bunch of 100% cotton t-shirts. I then do the bottom of the car and dry every section as I go. So, I don’t think my washing should have caused any spotting. I then used Maguire’s detailer and clay barred the car. I think the spots are big and are from the car sitting out during the day when raining or being driven in the rain.

I don’t think the detailer spray will get it. I couldn’t see the spots until I went to Rejex at night and fired up the big 1000 watt halogen lamps. WTH?

Old 10-28-2004, 11:09 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
There is some sort of water spot remover you can buy in the auto parts store. Just can't think of it. Try rubbing a little bug/tar remover. That may work.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
325iSBimmer is infamous around these parts
believe it or not, if u get water spots on the car and u are about to wax the car the most effective way is with a diluted water vinegar solution.

heres the link to ur solution and all ur other auto detailing needs

here

Old 10-28-2004, 11:26 AM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
1st / best choice = deionized water so the spots never have a chance to appear.
2nd choice = deionized water so the spots never have a chance to appear.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Dabum is infamous around these parts
Mr. Clean Car wash thingy. I have it, I use it, I love it

I never get water marks, EVER.

So easy.

Costs literally $30 for the unit and about $1 a wash.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:07 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
sounds like the car could use a good machine polishing also

Old 10-28-2004, 01:20 PM
TCM
TCM is infamous around these parts
Vinegar is the first step. Rinse car, spray on, scrub a bit, and then rinse. If that does not work, try working down the line with polishes (least aggressive first). The marks should come out with a pretty mild polish. Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:20 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Use DI water

Old 10-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
I had the same problem... you need a good high speed compound polishing. And it still may take a couple of sessions to get it all out.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Guys, unfortunately it doesn't rain distilled or deionized water in Chicago. I will wash with the DI rinse, but like I said, the marks didn't come from the washing process, just the normal elements.

I will try the vinegar solution (pun intended), this makes sense. If that doesn't work, I will do a little polishing.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
HIGH SPEED BUFFING IS THE ONLY SOLUTION... trust me! Oh yea, don't do it yourself. Get a professional.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Britt: Seriously? You don't think the vinegar will work, or simple hand buffing with a gentle polish? Why only a high speed (and therefore potentially high risk) buff?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to eliminate water spots?