996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

(help please) let gas level low and now gauge is stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Billystang is infamous around these parts
(help please) let gas level low and now gauge is stuck

I had 14 more miles to fill the car with Gas and finally stop at the gas station fill up the car and when start the car the gauge was still down to empty and computer still says consider range on remaining fuel
shut down the car again took off the key from ignition and start again,same think
any trick to make it work will be apreciated!!!
thank you

Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Billystang
I had 14 more miles to fill the car with Gas and finally stop at the gas station fill up the car and when start the car the gauge was still down to empty and computer still says consider range on remaining fuel
shut down the car again took off the key from ignition and start again,same think
any trick to make it work will be apreciated!!!
thank you

Did you fill the tank all the way up when you got gas or just put a few gallons in?

If you just put a few gallons in this is normal.....the tank has 2 sides and the level sensor is on the 2nd side....so you need to fill the tank to a certain level for it to register. If you fill the tank up all the way it should read normal again.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
The gas gauge is probably the suckiest part on the 996 TT. Never know how much gas you got, even when you fill sometimes.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
I had the same problem, only mine got stuck in the full position.

I removed the 4 nuts in the trunk covering the tank opening. Disconnect the 2 hose fittings(Have a rag ready in case some fuel shoots out). Unscrew the tank/cap/ lid (Make sure you mark the orientation of the sensor/sender assembly.) Lift it out and wiggle the pump/ sensor a bit and reassemble. Now it works again but like before it goes up only to 3/4 of a full tank. I'm still working on a way to calibrate the system without PWIS.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by adam699
I had the same problem, only mine got stuck in the full position.

I removed the 4 nuts in the trunk covering the tank opening. Disconnect the 2 hose fittings(Have a rag ready in case some fuel shoots out). Unscrew the tank/cap/ lid (Make sure you mark the orientation of the sensor/sender assembly.) Lift it out and wiggle the pump/ sensor a bit and reassemble. Now it works again but like before it goes up only to 3/4 of a full tank. I'm still working on a way to calibrate the system without PWIS.
damn we are in the same boat...............

Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by smokinxtreme
damn we are in the same boat...............

I read somewhere that you have to fill up the tank all the way with the battery disconnected. However if you dol that the filler flap thingie shuts down and doesn't let you tank it up, so you'd have to disconnect the battery, open the top of the tank(remove the sender assembly) and fill it up through the top. I'm yet to try it thou but I believe it might work. I think that if the car stands for a while and the gas evaporates since the car reports "average" fuel level, the guage slowly becomes uncalibrated.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 AM
I put $20 gas is about 6-7 gallons but i think fills up with 10-12 gallons
Anyway
i will start first with stop at the gas station and fill it again after work
This is the first time i let the gas so low in the car.usually as soon the light comes up i fill the tank.
i let you know tommorow
thanks guys

Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Partial refills on an empty tank cause the onboard computer to fail to register the correct fill levels....it supposedly stops registering when you get below 9 miles left till dead empty....then if you only put in a few gallons, it won't register at all. I wasn't aware that it would permanently knock out the gas gauge. I have run mine down to below the minimum, but always filled the tank to full.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:41 PM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
my happened about two weeks ago when i filled up using 100 octane....

Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM
VEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really nice
had same problem and took to dealer only to find out that i didnt put enough gas in, so i would first say to fill it up. Should solve your problem

Old 06-30-2009, 04:47 PM
i just came from gas station .i filled up and the same think happen
i just unplug the battery for few minutes and i will try that next(start w/easy stuff)

Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 PM
i reconnect the battery and now its shows 2/4 of the tank
i disconnect battery again for more time ,reconnect and shows 2/4 of the tank again
and i just fill up 3 miles from the gas station
looks like the float think is not stuck is either calibration or something else, but seems it happen cause i let the gas go to low
i try the other members suggestions tommorow.
if someone find out something new please let me know!
thank you

Old 07-01-2009, 03:16 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Some things never change. My '72 will register read full for like 3/4 of the tank, then all of a sudden, I'm down to 1/4. Just skips right past half a tank. Don't even ask me about the oil level....It's NEVER accurate with the oil. It seems like on a 120K+ car, the stupid gas indicator should work. But I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. My Scion has never given me a problem with any gauges. If Toyota can get it right on a car under $20k, shouldn't Porsche be able to get it right?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
With average city driving, you get around 13-15 mpg....keep track of your miles and let the tank empty down to around the quarter mark or lower...you can figure about 200 miles out of a tank running around town...more on the open road...letting the gas level drop as low as you can may allow the sensor to drop down below the 2/4ths mark and reset when you fill the tank again. If not, then you might need a new sending unit. The gas gauges, filler fuse, and onboard computer that shows gas mileage etc have been a recurring problem for Porsche.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
With average city driving, you get around 13-15 mpg....keep track of your miles and let the tank empty down to around the quarter mark or lower...you can figure about 200 miles out of a tank running around town...more on the open road...letting the gas level drop as low as you can may allow the sensor to drop down below the 2/4ths mark and reset when you fill the tank again. If not, then you might need a new sending unit. The gas gauges, filler fuse, and onboard computer that shows gas mileage etc have been a recurring problem for Porsche.
I try this too
thank you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: (help please) let gas level low and now gauge is stuck