996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL/Tial Alpha 28rs turbos installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
Have not but plan to. Have been trying to sort out why my car is hitting 1.2 bar on a 1.4 bar file basically.... everything is running right and normal, and cannot find any boost leaks or other hardware issues from what we have checked.

hmmm, so it's not fuel? have you just recently dropped boost? or was it after certain changes? change in fuel? hot days? pulled boost and timing possibly? This boost crap can drive you crazy. I hope you get that figured out.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:43 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
hmmm, so it's not fuel? have you just recently dropped boost? or was it after certain changes? change in fuel? hot days? pulled boost and timing possibly? This boost crap can drive you crazy. I hope you get that figured out.
Yeah so far we are not sure what it is. Tony knows how bad the 91 octane is out here and has factored that in, but it has been consistently below other setups with all other things equal by about .2 bar. We were thinking it could be a boost leak/hardware issue but everything so far has checked out on inspection. It seems to run fine and consistent and always has, but it's just still a slight concern, especially if it rights itself or gets righted at some point and then I hit 1.4-1.5 bar all of a sudden on 91.

Gonna datalog with Tony' new program here next week so maybe that will help tell us something. Otherwise I will probably just have to get that meth injection kit installed sooner rather than later!

thanks

Old 09-26-2009, 04:59 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by flash68
Yeah so far we are not sure what it is. Tony knows how bad the 91 octane is out here and has factored that in, but it has been consistently below other setups with all other things equal by about .2 bar. We were thinking it could be a boost leak/hardware issue but everything so far has checked out on inspection. It seems to run fine and consistent and always has, but it's just still a slight concern, especially if it rights itself or gets righted at some point and then I hit 1.4-1.5 bar all of a sudden on 91.

Gonna datalog with Tony' new program here next week so maybe that will help tell us something. Otherwise I will probably just have to get that meth injection kit installed sooner rather than later!

thanks

Im having the same issues as you, I just got my car back and still hitting the 1.2 bars only, sometime spiking to 1.3-1.4 in high gears. I was told my car is old, it probably needs maintainance and hoses. I had the car checked for leaks, changed out hoses among other things and same result. Please let me know what you find with your datalogs.

Vince

Old 09-26-2009, 05:06 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007-911
Im having the same issues as you, I just got my car back and still hitting the 1.2 bars only, sometime spiking to 1.3-1.4 in high gears. I was told my car is old, it probably needs maintainance and hoses. I had the car checked for leaks, changed out hoses among other things and same result. Please let me know what you find with your datalogs.

Vince
Have you guys (Dave and Vince) gone out in the cooler weather (<65deg?)? My car seems to only hit 1.2ish when it's warm and only hit 1.3-1.35ish in the cooler weather. My wastegates are maxed out. Might be both of your problems too...

Old 09-26-2009, 05:07 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Just curious Vince, is your 1.4 tune on pump gas? Maybe you're not hitting that high of boost because Tony hasn't set boost that high?

Vince

Old 09-27-2009, 02:20 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !

Vince
Did Tony tell you the same thing? That he thinks you should be hitting 1.4 on that file? Hmmm....

Originally Posted by ttboost
Have you guys (Dave and Vince) gone out in the cooler weather (<65deg?)? My car seems to only hit 1.2ish when it's warm and only hit 1.3-1.35ish in the cooler weather. My wastegates are maxed out. Might be both of your problems too...
I have done most of my testing in high 50s/low 60s cool nights. One other theory Tony had was that possibly my car were accidentally installed with .8 bar wastegates instead of 1.0 bar that should have happened... it might be a stretch but next time my car is at my tech's shop I will have him check it out.

Originally Posted by VividRacingTX
Just curious Vince, is your 1.4 tune on pump gas? Maybe you're not hitting that high of boost because Tony hasn't set boost that high?
Pretty sure Tony only tunes to 1.2 bar on garbage 91 octane (not sure what 007-911 has for gas) and will go to 1.4 on meth or race.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:10 AM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by VividRacingTX
I was told that I had a 1.4bar file. I have 93/100 mix almost everytime and meth injection so I have more then enough octane. The funny thing is when I got my car back for the first time the car made 1.4 bar consistently but the throttle would shut off if I punched it in first gear. I was told my ecu was bad so I purchased a new ecu and shipped it out. When I got the ecu back the car would not make more then 1.1-1.2 bar and spike to 1.3 bar. Tony keeps telling me it my car but I had it looked over and even changed out a bunch of stuff, smoked, and even had the injectors reset. So now im sitting here scratching my head thinking whats next? The only solution I from Tony is to ship the car back to him but I dont have $1600+ for the transport after spending almost 7K for the repairs. This is why I am waiting to see what happens with Flash/Dave

Old 09-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !

Vince
Hey Vince,

This is 2 completely different issues.

Daves car isnt making the boost it should for the amount of wastegate duty cycle its running.

Your car is not making the original boost it was tuned at.

Is it back on the road?

Old 09-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
I was told that I had a 1.4bar file. I have 93/100 mix almost everytime and meth injection so I have more then enough octane. The funny thing is when I got my car back for the first time the car made 1.4 bar consistently but the throttle would shut off if I punched it in first gear. I was told my ecu was bad so I purchased a new ecu and shipped it out. When I got the ecu back the car would not make more then 1.1-1.2 bar and spike to 1.3 bar. Tony keeps telling me it my car but I had it looked over and even changed out a bunch of stuff, smoked, and even had the injectors reset. So now im sitting here scratching my head thinking whats next? The only solution I from Tony is to ship the car back to him but I dont have $1600+ for the transport after spending almost 7K for the repairs. This is why I am waiting to see what happens with Flash/Dave

Your throttle wasnt shutting. You had a bad dme that was causing a load calculation error. I've actually seen this on 3 cars now (one being yours).

FYI, I never said the only solution was for the car to come back here.... we can and would love to work remotely with you, possibly through AMS .

Last edited by Tony@epl; 09-27-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Your throttle wasnt shutting. You had a bad dme that was causing a load calculation error. I've actually seen this on 3 cars now (one being yours).

FYI, I never said the only solution was for the car to come back here.... we can and would love to work remotely with you, possibly through AMS .

Thats fine then. How do you want to set this up with them since they are local. The car is back and even in the cold it just spikes to 1.3 bar.

Vince

Old 09-28-2009, 12:45 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
Tony, have you made any progress on the aftermarket solenoids? I remember a post a while back you were working on this but havent heard much since.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Tony, have you made any progress on the aftermarket solenoids? I remember a post a while back you were working on this but havent heard much since.
Yes, and we've installed a few at this point.

At the end of the day the stock valve is very inexpensive and has a fairly long service life. We've just been swapping out the stock valves on cars that may be suspect.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
007-911 .... do you ever get up to the grand rapids mi area? if so bring the car i dont know much about the software end but i do have a bit of experience with the hardware part ... i would be happy to to give your car a look at...
tim

Old 09-28-2009, 04:45 PM

At the end of the day the stock valve is very inexpensive and has a fairly long service life. We've just been swapping out the stock valves on cars that may be suspect.
Tony, the one you sent me... was that a stock replacement or an aftermarket version you have been working on?

Old 09-29-2009, 03:04 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Tony, if you remember we couldnt get past 1.3 on my car even maxing out the duty cycle to 100%. This was on a new solenoid. Does your solenoid have the ability to get more boost or is it a matter of modding the gates?

Also, does the weather have anything to do with it? I know it is going to get colder so maybe it will be up in the 1.4 range?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EPL/Tial Alpha 28rs turbos installed