996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL/Tial Alpha 28rs turbos installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:54 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Proto 24/18's FTW.....he he he
Paulie you little *$@^^#@!

Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Two factors to keep in mind ....

1. Ttboost's car can be run slightly leaner, due to the meth.

2. Most cars runing meth are being fueled up to 20% by the wi... This is how you add loads of octane to pump gas.

Both factors add ally of over head to his set up...
Tony, would my next mod be to add a bigger pump? the 044?

Originally Posted by RiA
Congrats Dave - and I'm game. When you get your upgraded file and are ready, let's work out a time and location.

It'll be good run a comparison.

Rich
Thanks Rich. Yeah that should be fun and a good match!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:38 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Congrats, David!! Glad you got everything you needed.

Just wait till the boost gets turned up!!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by audikp
Congrats, David!! Glad you got everything you needed.

Just wait till the boost gets turned up!!
thanks bro! I am pretty stoked to get some more boost.

damn maybe I shoulda got the 3071s like you.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 PM
DJM
DJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really nice
Originally Posted by flash68
thanks bro! I am pretty stoked to get some more boost.

damn maybe I shoulda got the 3071s like you.

Flash 68,

what clutch are you running and what is it like compared to stock? I am a new owner and I agree that the stock setup leaves a little to be desired in the area of feeling precise, however I find it generally overall acceptable in manners and street ablity, so when I upgrade my turbos, I will more then likely need to upgrade my clutch and I was basically wondering what you choose to run and how it feels compared to stock.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by DJM
Flash 68,

what clutch are you running and what is it like compared to stock? I am a new owner and I agree that the stock setup leaves a little to be desired in the area of feeling precise, however I find it generally overall acceptable in manners and street ablity, so when I upgrade my turbos, I will more then likely need to upgrade my clutch and I was basically wondering what you choose to run and how it feels compared to stock.
I have the GT3RS clutch and LWFW, along with the Sachs pressure plate. I have been told it should be good for up to 650+ hp so I am hoping it lasts awhile with my newly found power.

I think my pedal feel is pretty close to stock. I do think I have a slightly bad accumulator based on what I have read, but it has been the way it is for a year or more as far as I can tell from feel. It doesn't slip at WOT in any gear.

I have driven 2 cars with the EVOMS stage 3 clutch with GT2 slave conversion and I do like those, but they do require a little more pedal effort. But they are easier to modulate once you get used to it since the feedback is better with the slave conversion.

Not sure what I will do if/when mine goes out... maybe the Clutchmasters stage 3? Many seem to be happily using that clutch with k24/18g kits and around 650-700 crank hp.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
One thing no one seems to be discussing is the throttle response of the Tial turbos in normal driving. These turbos are so much more drivable than a K24. You can easily .3-.5 bar at 10% throttle. They really rip even in the lower gears. Try punching it from a 3K RPM cruise in K24 or K24 hybrids in first gear.

The idea is that they are equal up top but so much more responsive in day to day street situations. They spool like K16s and pull like K24 hybrids. What else can you ask for besides a supercharged 7.0 liter V8 (divex)

The $$ difference is not that much considering the fact that a good of set K24s can sell for $1200-$1500

I spend 99% of my ride on city streets. Not doing 60-130 or head to head freeway runs.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-03-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
This is my same exact clutch setup.

I'm warming up to the LW flywheel, but the clutch seems solid. I think John@speedtech is putting together a modded fulcrum kit that is the shat.

For a street or drag car I think the factory flywheel is not bad to keep.

+1 on the GT2 hydraulics conversion. Seems like a nice mod.

There is always the remove the TT clutch spring mod.... haven't tried that yet.

I have the GT3RS clutch and LWFW, along with the Sachs pressure plate. I have been told it should be good for up to 650+ hp so I am hoping it lasts awhile with my newly found power.

I think my pedal feel is pretty close to stock. I do think I have a slightly bad accumulator based on what I have read, but it has been the way it is for a year or more as far as I can tell from feel. It doesn't slip at WOT in any gear.

I have driven 2 cars with the EVOMS stage 3 clutch with GT2 slave conversion and I do like those, but they do require a little more pedal effort. But they are easier to modulate once you get used to it since the feedback is better with the slave conversion.

Not sure what I will do if/when mine goes out... maybe the Clutchmasters stage 3? Many seem to be happily using that clutch with k24/18g kits and around 650-700 crank hp.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by ari
One thing no one seems to be discussing is the throttle response of the Tial turbos in normal driving. These turbos are so much more drivable than a K24. You can easily .3-.5 bar at 10% throttle. They really rip even in the lower gears. Try punching it from a 3K RPM cruise in K24 or K24 hybrids in first gear.

The idea is that they are equal up top but so much more responsive in day to day street situations. They spool like K16s and pull like K24 hybrids. What else can you ask for besides a supercharged 7.0 liter V8 (divex)

The $$ difference is not that much considering the fact that a good of set K24s can sell for $1200-$1500

I spend 99% of my ride on city streets. Not doing 60-130 or head to head freeway runs.
I agree. This thing rips in 1st and 2nd gear. One reason I wanna do a 0-60 and then a 1/4 mile. This feels like it spools even faster and harder than my old k16s.

I thought the k24s were trading for more than that tho? Like $2000ish +?

Originally Posted by ari
This is my same exact clutch setup.

I'm warming up to the LW flywheel, but the clutch seems solid. I think John@speedtech is putting together a modded fulcrum kit that is the shat.

For a street or drag car I think the factory flywheel is not bad to keep.

+1 on the GT2 hydraulics conversion. Seems like a nice mod.

There is always the remove the TT clutch spring mod.... haven't tried that yet.
I've only had the LWFW so I don't know any different.

I am hoping this lasts awhile. So far so good.

Last edited by flash68; 07-03-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Well dammit. I went out for a late night run and was gonna try out the Pbox, but 2 things didn't pan out. I realized I only have an XD card and not SD card.

And from my place in the city all the way to the frontage road I was gonna use about 10 minutes south of SF, I could never pick up a satellite signal. Do I have to go out to the boonies?!

I did however test the frontage road and do believe I can get to 130 and slow down before the curve. Pretty sure anyway...

Old 07-03-2009, 05:42 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Well dammit. I went out for a late night run and was gonna try out the Pbox, but 2 things didn't pan out. I realized I only have an XD card and not SD card.

And from my place in the city all the way to the frontage road I was gonna use about 10 minutes south of SF, I could never pick up a satellite signal. Do I have to go out to the boonies?!

I did however test the frontage road and do believe I can get to 130 and slow down before the curve. Pretty sure anyway...
P-Box will still show the runs on the screen, until you slow down under 60mph again, then it will re-set. You just won't be able to keep your record run when you get it, until you plug in the SD card.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:45 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
You need enough room to brake boost and hold 40 MPH building as much boost as you can at that speed and RPM. Then let her rip. The satelites should pick up most anywhere. First thing you should do is go thru the menu and do a "Coldstart."

Have fun and find a good stretch of road, in the boonies.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by ttboost
P-Box will still show the runs on the screen, until you slow down under 60mph again, then it will re-set. You just won't be able to keep your record run when you get it, until you plug in the SD card.
Yeah that is what I was hoping to accomplish last night without the card. Never could pick up a satellite.

Originally Posted by TXGold
You need enough room to brake boost and hold 40 MPH building as much boost as you can at that speed and RPM. Then let her rip. The satelites should pick up most anywhere. First thing you should do is go thru the menu and do a "Coldstart."

Have fun and find a good stretch of road, in the boonies.
I am pretty damn far from any boonies. And I did try coldstart about 10 times and it kept stopping midway saying error.

Guess I will have to search for a new place to do the runs.

thanks guys

Old 07-03-2009, 04:07 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Yeah that is what I was hoping to accomplish last night without the card. Never could pick up a satellite.

I am pretty damn far from any boonies. And I did try coldstart about 10 times and it kept stopping midway saying error.

Guess I will have to search for a new place to do the runs.

thanks guys
Dave,
Will it pick up a sat anywhere?
Might be something wrong with it...

Old 07-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by MBailey
Dave,
Will it pick up a sat anywhere?
Might be something wrong with it...
It did not pick up anything at all from my parking garage to about 10 miles south of the city (not near any trees or buildings like it says to avoid) and the n back. Hit a bunch of buttons, reset it, tried cold start several times, unplugged it and plugged back in.... and nothing.

I got an SD card and reader today and will try again later tonite or tmrw to at least pick up a signal.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Okay, got the Pbox to work last night and took the maiden voyage.

I ran a pathetic 9.63 on a virtually flat road
.26% elevation change - not sure if it was incline or decline. Gotta figure out how to read that on the software.

This was 91 octane, low boost (.8 bar, maybe .9 for a bit) and high 50's temp.

This was my first attempt so I did not expect great things. I am gonna play around and try some different things. Should have the high boost flash soon anyway and then get some better times.

This Pbox is a pretty cool gadget!

And thanks to Mike (ttboost) for walking me thru the Pbox setup and data extraction process. It was a little more complicated than I thought!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EPL/Tial Alpha 28rs turbos installed