996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Inexpensive 996 TT Headers. Too Good To Be True?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Headers do not even come close to meeting my "$ per hp" requirements.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:45 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by unvmym3
can you tell me your theory on why extranal headers are not practical on the street ?? cuase i have them and have no issues what so ever ...
Sure, first let me say that is is my opinion, I could be wrong.

As external WG vent to atmospheren they have a potential of being quite noisy when they kick in. I personally think any noise over a nice throaty sound of a carefully selected after market system, while OK on the track, is somewhat undignified on the street for this caliber of car. When I had my straight pipes they were far too noisy for my liking. So I went to a system that I selected for a compromise of sound vs HP.

I am sure if you like it, then that would be fine.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:08 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
"As external WG vent to atmospheren they have a potential of being quite noisy when they kick in "

ah cmon that is the best part !!! nothing sounds better then hearing my turbos spool up and the WG open at WOT .... simply intoxicating. lets peopel know that car means business...

also, u can re route them back into the exhaust and they will be very quiet that way you wont ever have to deal with rods braking , or the actuator springs beeing stuck open ... and they are much much more accurate then the stock actuators.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:27 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
If you think any kind of Porsche Turbo setup is loud, I don't think you have heard a loud street car.

To each his own though....

Old 07-09-2009, 05:31 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
If you think any kind of Porsche Turbo setup is loud, I don't think you have heard a loud street car.

To each his own though....

very true. Even an NA 911 with straight pipes is 3-4 times louder than a turbo with straight pipes. With cats and straight pipes it is not to bad, just drone hurts inside. but everyone has a different tolerance to noise.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:35 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I think Marski can hook you up with the best headers at the best price
Robert

Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 AM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
Cheap means not good..True..
but as I know some indenpendent tuners got their header made in CHINA as well but from professional and high standard manufacture.They made what tuner designed and accepted with tuner only sold the parts to tuner for resale.

You would call that crap header but not chinese crap.Not everything made in CHINA are craps.It depends on how much you paying and what market your business targeting.Many people need cheap things.They need cheap things for their poor life..Chinese know how to make cheap things and have cheap labour to do that.Thats business issue nothing nationallty...

Last edited by lintc0532; 07-09-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
6Speed member 911C4S has a set of B&B headers for sale with less than 500 miles. Check out the FS section.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:48 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I'd just port your headers. That's what I did.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lintc0532
Cheap means not good..True..
but as I know some indenpendent tuners got their header made in CHINA as well but from professional and high standard manufacture.They made what tuner designed and accepted with tuner only sold the parts to tuner for resale.

You would call that crap header but not chinese crap.Not everything made in CHINA are craps.It depends on how much you paying and what market your business targeting.Many people need cheap things.They need cheap things for their poor life..Chinese know how to make cheap things and have cheap labour to do that.Thats business issue nothing nationallty...
This is a very good summary. Where do most of you think the aftermarket headers at modest prices are coming from?
In doing business with China it is possible to buy very cheaply-- often it does not cost a lot more to buy very adequete quality. In ordering, the buyer( I am talking quantities) needs to have a clear idea on what is required or you can finish up with rubbish.
For those that cannot remember--everything that came out of Japan was once considered rubbish,including their cars,look at them now-you could hardly be critical of finish and design integrity.Need I point out-- how well made are a lot of American cars.
In time China will move on from the price only issue- in the meantime look at it realistically and with not too many pre conceived notions.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I'm quite sure that no one here meant any offense to anyone. I think those of us that responded to this thread, responded with experience to buying "inexpensive" headers. Stainless cracks anyway, thin stainless cracks even easier. It's these thin stainless headers that are giving the inexpensive headers a bad name. It's just by chance they are made in China. We make junk here too...

Old 07-09-2009, 06:57 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I'm quite sure that no one here meant any offense to anyone. I think those of us that responded to this thread, responded with experience to buying "inexpensive" headers. Stainless cracks anyway, thin stainless cracks even easier. It's these thin stainless headers that are giving the inexpensive headers a bad name. It's just by chance they are made in China. We make junk here too...
There is an easy solution to this. State the gauge (thickness) of the metal. The type of stainless 304, 316 or 321, L or extra low carbon or not, and the type of weld process utilized (TIG or MIG), the type or collector utilized and how the tube was bent.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
welding stainless is part of the problem. the other part is knowing that you got the right stainless and without a metal analyzer of some kind, there is no guaranty of anything if it comes from Asia. The third part is how that metal was processed. because of it's chromium, stainless has good heat resistant properties. However, because of chromium it can be more brittle and crack. There is more control of what you are getting in European and American products IMO. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
On a turbo car of this quality, is it really necessary to upgrade the manifolds? Porsche put alot of research into making a manifold that provides enough gas flow to spool the turbos proper as to not cause excessive lag. If this was a NA car, I would be more likely to agree with upgraded headers. The question I have is are the stock headers a limiting factor? I believe that you can upgrade the turbos, bore, stroke and etc. enough that the manifolds would be a limiting factor. But is it needed for the k16 and k24 hybrids that are popular?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Leave the Chinese parts for other cars.
Yep I agree Larry... The sad thing is so many places these days sell them. If they're cheap... then we know why. I've nothing against cheap but stuff like this is going to crack etc....

At least spend the money saved on doing a before and after. Too often people believe all the hype sadly;(

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive 996 TT Headers. Too Good To Be True?