996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Inexpensive 996 TT Headers. Too Good To Be True?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
On a turbo car of this quality, is it really necessary to upgrade the manifolds? Porsche put alot of research into making a manifold that provides enough gas flow to spool the turbos proper as to not cause excessive lag. If this was a NA car, I would be more likely to agree with upgraded headers. The question I have is are the stock headers a limiting factor? I believe that you can upgrade the turbos, bore, stroke and etc. enough that the manifolds would be a limiting factor. But is it needed for the k16 and k24 hybrids that are popular?
Nope... I haven't seen any decent gains on a K16 based car. K24s with good headers done right and you might loose a bit of lag and show 10hp on a dyno. With bigger turbos sure....

Otherwise I've seen a lot of these $500-1500 headers plain loose power vs stock;(

Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
welding stainless is part of the problem. the other part is knowing that you got the right stainless and without a metal analyzer of some kind, there is no guaranty of anything if it comes from Asia. The third part is how that metal was processed. because of it's chromium, stainless has good heat resistant properties. However, because of chromium it can be more brittle and crack. There is more control of what you are getting in European and American products IMO. Good luck.
Sorry but I have seen sh*t come out of America and Europe too. When you speak about the welding process it all comes down to
proper procedures being established and followed. Temperature control is very important. Have you seen stainless rust? It's caused by inner granular migration and carbide precipitation. It is directly related to staying in certain temperature ranges.

You can obtain cracks from improper temperature, mixing base metals and filler metals along with imperfections like undercut, porosity and inclusions. You can also promote cracking by a mismatch of part thickness.

The use of type "L" stainless (extra low carbon 304L. 316L. 321L) is also a plus.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Nope... I haven't seen any decent gains on a K16 based car. K24s with good headers done right and you might loose a bit of lag and show 10hp on a dyno. With bigger turbos sure....

Otherwise I've seen a lot of these $500-1500 headers plain loose power vs stock;(
Alex,

I've never seen a real good set of $500.00 TO $1,500.00 headers. How can anyone just bolt on a set of headers without knowing the flow of their motor and even hope to get it right? There is a lot of science to a good header of any specific motor. Everything from the head flow, to the diameter of the tubing, to how the tube is bent, to the flatness of the interior welds, to the lip on the flange, to the thickness of the tube and the design of the collector.

There is an old saying, as you extract the last possible ponies the cost per each additional pony goes up exponentially.

Last edited by cjv; 07-09-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Technological has a spectacular aura aboutTechnological has a spectacular aura aboutTechnological has a spectacular aura about
I'll just throw this out there.

Is parts come off the headers, they don't go into your cats. They go into your turbochargers. SO, you may not want to skimp on the headers.

I've personally seen a turbo lost to a header failure. It's not pretty.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Sorry but I have seen sh*t come out of America and Europe too. When you speak about the welding process it all comes down to
proper procedures being established and followed. Temperature control is very important. Have you seen stainless rust? It's caused by inner granular migration and carbide precipitation. It is directly related to staying in certain temperature ranges.

You can obtain cracks from improper temperature, mixing base metals and filler metals along with imperfections like undercut, porosity and inclusions. You can also promote cracking by a mismatch of part thickness.

The use of type "L" stainless (extra low carbon 304L. 316L. 321L) is also a plus.

very true, but we do have more control over the materials specs than if you got it from Asia. I know this for fact from another industry I was involved in, where the sellers in Asia outright lied about the steel they had. Luckily the American buyer understood their language and overheard what the Engineer and sales guy were talking about.