996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Inexpensive 996 TT Headers. Too Good To Be True?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Inexpensive 996 TT Headers. Too Good To Be True?

Anyone tried these? Seems like a good investment even if they fall apart after a year or so. Obviously Chinese, or at least the seller is, you can tell by the Chinglish text.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...Q5fAccessories

They are on eBay.

No Lobbyist answers please.

SWR

Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
I have seen a few sets of knock off headers fall apart on 996TT/997TT with not that many miles on them. Welds breaking, etc.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
I have seen a few sets of knock off headers fall apart on 996TT/997TT with not that many miles on them. Welds breaking, etc.
After How Long?

I emailed them and asked how long their warranty was for.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
ah just buy the pair in the FS section and get your external wastegates going.
No need to make that bracket then

Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Leave the Chinese parts for other cars.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by tvurt
ah just buy the pair in the FS section and get your external wastegates going.
No need to make that bracket then
Firstly External wastegates are not practical for Street use. Secondly I am in no hurry to do anything, so time is of no consequence. I can wait until the right items come up at the right price. I do like buying items used for it. so far I have been very happy with my used parts purchases.

This car is simply a toy for me to play with. (Isn't it for most of us?) I think I have only done 220 miles in it since I got it. Sad I know but that is why I bought it. Sooner or later it will become a daily driver. Currently it spends most of it's life on Jack Stands.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by landjet
Leave the Chinese parts for other cars.
Most likely will, but curiosity got the better of me, and enquiring minds just have to know, sooooo, I was just wondering if anyone had installed a pair?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:31 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
After How Long?

I emailed them and asked how long their warranty was for.
Within less than 2 years and 20k miles or so.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
Within less than 2 years and 20k miles or so.
Interesting thank you. Is that all bad for $100 + $50 shipping investment. As long as the welds do not spray parts into your cats what harm can they do?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
You might want to do a search on this....there has been a number of posts on the subject. The general consensus has been that under 600 HP, the stock headers are much better than the chinese crap...just have the stock ones ported and polished. You get no performance increase off a set of headers unless you get up into the higher HP ranges....total waste of money....look at my sig...I wasted money. All I got was a slightly deeper tone out of my Europipe exhaust. If I was to do it over, I'd simply port and polish the stock headers. They're actually quite well made compared to the crap out there...and the welds don't crack.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Chuck is right and most will agree, until you get to the 650-700whp mark..stock headers are more than adequate. Also, if it's too good to be true...it is...Those headers are probably made of the thinnest stainless you can get and they will probably crack when you tighten them up on the car...It's not a 10 minute job to do them. My advice, spend a couple more dollars and do them once.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I did read alot about the value of headers, or lack there off. I was simply curous if anyone had actually seen these and/or got burnt by them.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
You might want to do a search on this....there has been a number of posts on the subject. The general consensus has been that under 600 HP, the stock headers are much better than the chinese crap...just have the stock ones ported and polished. You get no performance increase off a set of headers unless you get up into the higher HP ranges....total waste of money....look at my sig...I wasted money. All I got was a slightly deeper tone out of my Europipe exhaust. If I was to do it over, I'd simply port and polish the stock headers. They're actually quite well made compared to the crap out there...and the welds don't crack.
+1, yup. there is a thread I think discussing porting factory headers. They are very good at flowing. If you go for headers it's because you have much more power and then you go for quality headers that are port matched.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Not worth it IMO. You also run the risk of the header cracking and getting material in the turbos.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
can you tell me your theory on why extranal headers are not practical on the street ?? cuase i have them and have no issues what so ever ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive 996 TT Headers. Too Good To Be True?