996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New to Pcar scene. 996tt questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Boostgod is infamous around these parts
Holy thread jack batman! To put this back on topic how much are the usual maintenance items? For example for a complete brake job ( rotors and pads) how much would that run? Tires?

Also what does the x50 designate? is it a chassis code?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
The X50 option designates different (slightly larger) turbos that are known as K24s. There are different intercoolers and different ECU tuning as well, and the net result is 450 hp stock, as compared to 420 with a K16 equipped standard Turbo. The K24s also offer a more solid upgrade path for future modding, if the owner so desires.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:02 AM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
Well a brake job shouldn't cost more than $1k if you do it yourself, depending if you just use stock parts or upgrade. I just did mine at the only reason it cost more than that was because I went with the 2pc brembos.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:02 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boostgod
Holy thread jack batman!
Welcome to the 6, consider that your initiation But seriously, read the thread that's stickied about 2nd gear pop-out issues, because if you do go for the 996TT this is something you want to get well acquainted with so as to be able to avoid it.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:43 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by landjet
It's not the maintenance but the mods that will cost you big time.
haha... you read my mind!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
For a daily driver, they are fairly maintenance free. Once you start tracking the car, all bets are off and those invisible expenses go through the roof...Things wear out MUCH faster and you increase the chances of bigger failure. There are plenty of people here that DD and DE their cars, hopefully they can chime in on their experiences...

Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boostgod
Holy thread jack batman!
Yeah, sorry Ben...

While these cars are reliable, I would not own one as a sole DD. First, you then are always compromising on mods... but almost more importantly if you have a budget, any issues that arise will cause you to pay prevailing rate to have it fixed quickly. A weekend car can sit in the garage as you collect input on what to do, or as you troubleshoot or as you do the work yourself and collect parts from elsewhere. A DD might require 'stupid-expensive' trips to the dealer (or indy) to deal with stuff quickly.

GL

A

Old 07-12-2009, 11:38 AM
BallinGPM is infamous around these parts
he sure got a killer labor rate on that tranny from encore exotics deal. $75/HOUR is incredible~!!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 AM
BallinGPM is infamous around these parts
And regards to the brake job, I just got mine front and rear complete for just over $2k at dealer.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:12 PM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BallinGPM
And regards to the brake job, I just got mine front and rear complete for just over $2k at dealer.
This is why being able to do stuff yourself helps. Took my 2 1/2 hrs and with a lift it would've only taken about 1 1/2 hrs. Parts from Suncoast wouldn't even cost $1k.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
andrejs is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the good info. And yeah, DIY definitely can cut down on the costs

Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 AM
RAD911 is infamous around these parts
i too had some concerns about the upkeep costs and time involved in the upkeep. i had a 993 c2s which i loved but wanted more horses after i made the mistake of driving my friend's turbo. i bit the bullet on the 996tt and glad i did. these cars are really worry free considering how high tech they are.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:55 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Possible class action lawsuit against pcna re 2nd gear issue

forgive the threadjack, of the last few days but i didn't know where to post my original query regarding the issue which i am currently dealing with. I found a LOT of valuable ( quite possibly more valuable than i initially thought! ) info facts etc regarding this issue, and will also post in the other forum as well as possibly begin a new thread, if my relatively "new" status as a poster here allows?

but the reason for my post today is this:

i have been in touch with a very prominent ( read "successful" ) attorney who specializes in, guess what?; "Lemon Law" issues here in CA. I know he's good as he got an associate of mine a brand new replacement MBenz and we're talking well over 125k on the cost.

His initial take after hearing my description of MY problem,.. coupled with the fact that i've just through happenstance stumbled in here, and on the rennlist? forum, and found seemingly countless others ( i mean there's a POLL on this very issue for chrissakes!! ) who all have experienced not only the 2nd gear popout issue itself, but the PATTERN!! of PCNA's warranty denial that is systematic when an unassuming customer/owner of these incredible cars encounters when they experience this issue and report, and or attempt to have repaired their cars under normal factory warrantable conditions ( i.e. NO driver abuse, or negligence ) to a dealer. only to be told in MOST cases, that PCNA is (A) UNaware that an issue with the cars exists! ( sure, ok..) and (B) that if the issue occurs, that driver abuse is not only the contributing factor?!, but in fact the only reason this has been occurring at all. ( more BS clearly..)..

The first thing I was asked after I conveyed my recent foray into this issue with my dealership was: "did they begin, once you walked in and reported the problem to attempt to establish this "pattern of denial of warranty coverage" with any Rev1/Rev 2 "violations"?! and also act as if, they'd "never heard of such a thing!!!" gotcha! exactly, what they did..

and they clearly attempt ( systematically, which is where we can get "em! in a class action suit! ) to establish that indeed there was ANY basis for PCNA being able to make ANY claim that the car had been "abused", ( eg driven over redline, even though this isn't a redline issue, PER SE!, although as i've learned, driver abuse could in FACT be a contributory factor, as in the case of a mishift, so patiently explained to me over the phone recently by "Erik" @ carquip whom i "met" in here and who is a VERY helpful and knowledgeable Porsche trans tech, who has been kind enough to contribute in here with VERY insightful and accurate info on this issue as well as the reasons this is in fact even OCCURRING! in these cars and who will fix mine should that ever fall to me, though as i've said, i love a good fight, even though i didn't "ask for it".

but i digress..

but the answer in my case, was a very clear and resounding, NO!. i didn't do SH* T to the car..i redlined it ONCE and SOMEONE else "stage two'd" it, PRIOR to my buying the CERTIFIED car along with a FACTORY PORSCHE WARRANTY!.

...and sorry for the long winded speech.. etc.. the answer to this attorney was a simple, "yes". that's exactly what they did, and it put me IMMEDIATELY on guard, as i related upthread. it was just too odd, that they took this position, when all i did was ask them to address this issue, diagnose and i was instantly made to feel as if (A) I was going to be found responsible for this second gear synchro issue, and that (B) that they were setting me up ( sandbagging me, as i've called it ) for a denial of the claim under the extended factory warranty that i bought with the car. it just FELT wierd! and it turns out.. it IS!

that, for me, is a "no way, ain't gonna fly, lawyers live for this sh*t, i'll find one"..and i have..

so, here's where the issue stands today. i have compiled a sh*tload of this anecdotal stuff, and am in fact prepared to be the lead complainant in a class action ( no upfront costs, all contingency for the plaintiffs attorneys for anyone who joins in it etc..) suit against PCNA should that be in the cards and this material rise to the levels needed to successfully win, which it just well may!!. this will of course depend upon MANY factors, not the least of which will obviously be the scrupulous review of all this anecdotal and circumstancial "evidence" of a PRE EXISTING FACTORY WEAKNESS/DEFECT, that is a MAJOR contributory factor in the very COMMON FAILURE of these transmissions vis a vis second gear etc.

so, anyone wanna join the party, or I should say BE a party to a very real "possible"! class action lawsuit against PCNA for the systematic denial and obfuscation of this KNOWN factory defect in their trans, then please contact me somehow offline ( or on initially..) and i will begin to take names IF this meets the level of a warrantable class action, as my learned attorney at least INITIALLY believes, it will.

I negelected to mention, he's had major experience in dealing against PCNA which i think his primary reason for thinking this is exactly what i have described to him, a situation in which a KNOWN flaw is sloughed off, and the expenses passed along the the "sucker" i mean owner, of this other than this? .... GREAT car.

hit me back if you'd like more info as it becomes available.. and thx for reading.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
very nice work

you should link this post over at renn and anywhere else anyone who owns a porsche might read it

good luck, its about time something was done about this bs

Old 07-14-2009, 04:23 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
possible class action against PCNA re 2nd gear issue

Originally Posted by buzzm
very nice work

you should link this post over at renn and anywhere else anyone who owns a porsche might read it

good luck, its about time something was done about this bs
thx man. all it takes is one, and i've done this kind of sh*t before. take on the big guy. ya know, at the end of the day, it ain't really about the 10 grand. somoenes gotta do this sh*t, or at least "try". why NOT me. we'd all be amazed at how quickly something like could "snowball", if a few of us truly get involved, again, i'll know more after the atty's review. they LOVE this sh*t, and in fact, live for it!

thx again..also, i've tried posting over at rennlist?! do you or anyone know if you have to be a premium member to post?? i can't seem to, just tried, but perhaps i can post in a thread or just did!?? i dunno. im not good at typing, much better at talkin to lawyers. ha.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to Pcar scene. 996tt questions.