996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I dont' think there's a need to apologize for your "thesis"....but I have a slightly different viewpoint. Most of the guys/gals who take their car into an indy do so because either they don't have the experience, tools, time, or ability to fix the problem themselves. They go to the indy or dealership looking for advice from someone they trust has the knowledge and expertise to diagnose the problem and fix it. Granted, they may have hit the forum or taken it by a friend's house to try to get a readout on what might be wrong. I think it's incumbent upon the indy to try to set the folks right and provide insight into what they feel the problem is. If the owner says I want you to fix the squealing waterpump, but the indy thinks it's something else...then why would they just go ahead and fix something that really didn't need fixing just because the owner thought it was the pump? Doesnt' the indy have the responsiblity for correcting a misconception rather than going ahead and doing exactly what a misinformed owner might have instructed? That's why there's a phone...you call and say...Mr. XX, I looked at your car and it appears that it's not the pump, its an idler wheel, a pulley...or whatever. I cant' imagine an owner insisting that it's the waterpump and ordering the indy to stick to the original incorrect diagnosis.

It's different if you're a painter and the lady tells you she wants the room chartreuse and you feel the color is going to clash with the furniture. In that case you do what the owner wants regardless of your personal opinon.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Well I didn't know what the noise was coming from. I was afraid it was the motor. They made the diagnosis that it was the PS pump. They gave me the choice to get a rebuild or a new one. I chose a new one because of the 2 year warranty. I have an appointment next week and will calmly tell them that I have been very happy with all previous work they have done, that I am happy with our relationship, but the $2500 spent was a waste of my money and they misdiagnosed the problem, and they should take responsibility and make it right. Just hope they don't roll the loss into other work I will be having done.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:28 AM
VEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really nice
im totally with you on that, if you tell them what they did wrong then your always gonna have in the back of your mind that they are gonna try and make it up another way. Thats what sucks about not working on your own car, its so hard to trust them. And to top it all off we are driving an expensive car so our mechanics automatically see $$ signs. I guess for those of you that have techs. that you trust, keep them close because it seems that if you try to stand up or question what you think is right that we will never know if they are being honest. Good luck and i hope everything works out for the best.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.