996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are modded Turbos more prone to problems than stock?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:19 PM
MIPorsche is infamous around these parts
Are modded Turbos more prone to problems than stock?

Was wondering if those of you who modded your cars or bought them already modded face more repair issues than those that are stock.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Not necessarily, but obviously it depends on the exact mods and DEFINITELY how the car is maintained and driven. It would be hard to argue that a modified 996TT is more reliable than stock though, so I won't even bother trying that.

My own car has a reflashed ECU with stock K16s, and this is quite common. I have no doubt that the turbos won't last as long as stock, but only time (and my driving habits) will tell how long. If I drive like a grandma, it would hardly be different than stock.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:16 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
From all I've read on the forums, it seems the very high HP cars are treading on shaky ground and need a lot of attention. But they are usually owned by guys who have a passion for it and accept the consequences as part of the game. Lower HP cars with some mods seem to be fine.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
IMO, I would say these cars up to 600whp are still very reliable and still a good DD. Mine is. Yes, it depends on how they are taken care of. ANY car that is modified is more prone to issues, as you are asking it to do MUCH more than the factory intended. As our cars are grossly over engineered, is doesn't seem to have the same, or as bad, an effect.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:47 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MIPorsche
So I am in the market for a 911 Turbo and given my budget and after surveying all the cars for sale, there are about 3-4 of them that I am interested in. Of these:

- one of them says it has a Stage 2 Kit and up to 600 HP along with the GT3 seats and coilovers along with the rollover bars. First of all, does a stage 2 kit (ad does not say what company it is from) ever give a Turbo 600 hp? Or is the dealer inflating the HP numbers? I thought a Stage 2 at best can give 500+ Hp. Is a car with that kind of HP and those seats and rollovers, all indicating that the car was probably tracked, etc more prone to problems?

- the other Porsche is stock, except for the fact that it has $$ options on the DVD nav/XM and GT3 rear wing, but after speaking to the owner, he seems to have used it as a DD and not raced it and that it was well taken care of with all service records.

Both of them have 4x,xxx miles and I could get either for about the same price (about $40). Both of them are out of state cars, so I would have to fly out to see the car, which makes it hard if I pick the first one and it turns out to be problematic once I do the ppi in person.

Just like all of you, I like more speed, so the "600" hp car appeals to me on paper, and either way, I would get a ppi done, but should I be worried about cars that have probably been tracked and modded in that fashion as the first one above and probably been raced hard? The 2nd one seems a safer bet from a purchase perspective since it is stock, but then again, it is stock.

\
You could buy mine for $55K and it has run perfectly (no problems) for
the $12,000 odd miles since Protomotive built it

Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
more extreme = mp (more probs)

Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
First, there is no generally accepted definition of "Stage 2". It is a totally meaningless term. Is this a used car lot, or a Porsche Dealer? Do not rely on ANYTHING they tell you unless it is in writing. Seriously.

Indeed, a stage 2 kit from flybynightracing.com versus a UMW stage 2 are night and day. Some vendors' stage 2 kits might (should) lower the price.

Without knowing EXACTLY what is on the car, receipts, etc, I personally would buy a well documented and cared for stocker and modify myself.

Or buy one from a well known member here with a well documented history!

It is fairly easy to troubleshoot stock cars, and when you know what you've modded, it is also easy to troubleshoot your own mods...but it can be a pita to chase issues on a car of unknown pedigree.

My 2 cents

A

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-13-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:29 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
it's all in the tune (and not buying cheap knockoff parts on ebay)

Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 AM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
I would say get Woodster's car if it in your budget. If not get Christian's car as I think he is only asking $40k.

If you can buy a properly modded and maintained Turbo it will save a lot of money vs. buying stock and then modding. I paid $49k for a stock 04' and put quite a bit in it already. If a car like Woodsters would have been around I would have picked it up in a heart beat.

Last edited by MSCaymanS; 07-12-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 AM
MIPorsche is infamous around these parts
Is Christian's a Tip? I am in the market for a Tip since traffic here is terrible.

By the way, I see all sort of different answers to this, but let me ask it here to get the honest truth - a stock 2001 Turbo takes how long from 0-60?

Also, if I buy one with 40k-50k miles on it, what are some of the things I should be looking for/try to scrutinize by asking the right questions to the out of state dealer/private owner? What are some things that start going bad/need replacing around 40k-50k miles?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:06 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I have gone through 4 different ECU upgrades and 3 different set of turbos and had not problems as of yet. But now......it may be a different story. GL

Old 07-12-2009, 12:14 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
have modded mine and the rear wing is broken huuummm that cant have anything to do with the fiske wheels i put on ?? really if your a hotrodder your always foolin around with your car. so your counting on things going wrong,and if they do it's accepted. but have a 05 cayenne and a 01tt they both run fine the t is amodded car my wife drive the cayennne so it must be modded (iguess) does this post make any sence??? wish i had spell check

Old 07-12-2009, 02:01 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
I think if you use good parts a good tuner..you will be ok

Old 07-12-2009, 03:38 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MIPorsche
Was wondering if those of you who modded your cars or bought them already modded face more repair issues than those that are stock.

YES and the more mods the more problems dont let anybody fool you.

I would not buy a modded car (unless it was Woodsters, which is/was a ridiculously good deal)

buy the newest car you can then mod the way you want, then it will be your fault when you start messing with it.

yes if done correctly you can mod and run the stock internals to near 600hp, but go with standard proven stuff from board sponsors.

good luck!!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I agree with Tom, to a point. I'd stick to less than 600WHP and I'd want to make sure the mods were done to the manufacturers specs, with the proper maintenance and care.

My car was modded by the original owner in 2002 and has been very happy with its upgraded turbos for most of it's life in that timeframe. That said, I'm not under any illusion that pushing the limits above 650BHP and then running the car hard for extended periods will absolutely kill the lifespan of the motor.

Buying one with a well documented history is the way to go, no matter what the year or the miles.

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are modded Turbos more prone to problems than stock?