996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need new tires; what's best for all around use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 PM
CAA
CAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to all
Need new tires; what's best for all around use?

Im in Southern California and I'm looking for input on new tires..Currently have 18" GT3 wheels. What do you guys think...I'm on a 01 996tt...

Old 07-13-2009, 08:56 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CAA
Im in Southern California and I'm looking for input on new tires..Currently have 18" GT3 wheels. What do you guys think...I'm on a 01 996tt...
PS 2's

Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I wanted to try Nitto INVOS, but they didnt have them in the sizes I needed so I went with PS2's

Old 07-14-2009, 05:41 AM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
I also have 18" GT3 wheels.... went from PS2's to the Sumitomo's...pleased as heck. Track, street, and strip. No issues, no excessive noise. No prob in rain. Looks like they will wear well. Half the cost of PS2's.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:49 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by BlueFVD-575
I also have 18" GT3 wheels.... went from PS2's to the Sumitomo's...pleased as heck. Track, street, and strip. No issues, no excessive noise. No prob in rain. Looks like they will wear well. Half the cost of PS2's.

100%....me 2...mich can keep the overpriced ps2...ive bought maybe 5 sets of ps2..no more till they cut the price in half..

Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
One more vote for PS2's

Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Can't comment on track use, but I've been very happy with my Sumi's for about 1500-2000 miles so far.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Why are people still saying ps2's after the tire rack test where they had an average finish, and even lost to tires 1/4 there price? I was 100% sold on the ps2 till they got thrashed by a $140 tire.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:58 AM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tvurt
Why are people still saying ps2's after the tire rack test where they had an average finish, and even lost to tires 1/4 there price? I was 100% sold on the ps2 till they got thrashed by a $140 tire.
Do you have the link to that Test??

Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Guys-
Let me explain it from my point of view, as someone who has had several sets of ps2's, including a set of them right now on my stocker wheels.

Guys like Marty are far different than the vast majority of us. He is a guy who actually drives his car to the edge or limit on a regular basis, whereby you might see an advantage in the PS2. For the rest of us who might take a Saturday trip up to the mountains through the "wigglies" [as my 12 year old son calls them], but the majority of our time is on the street at 10mph over the posted limit, I gotta say I think the Ps2's are an absurd purchase.

I have a set on my stockers, and when they wore out on my 19" Champions I went with Toyos. I cannot tell any difference whatsoever in the Toyo V the PS2 in my style of driving, other than the fact the PS2's wore out exponentially faster on the back due to the negative camber.

Maybe I just have a mangina and don't push my car hard enough on a regular basis to see the difference, but I gotta think I am in the majority rather than the minority of transgendered gina slimers......

Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Couldn't agree more with $Manager. Face it...most of us on these forums are "recreational users" of our cars....and the PS2 is really an overkill when you consider the price and how most of us use our cars. This doesn't include the track guys or folks who regularly do DE days....but then the semi-pros usually have another set of wheels and tires that they use for these sorts of events. There's no denying that the PS2 consistently comes out in the top spot in reviews....but are they really necessary for our driving habits?

Although there's a lot of experience thru the guys on the forum, we all have our favorites and biases. Some of our info comes from our friends, some from reviews and some are recommended by whatever it is we happen to be running on our cars. It would seem prudent to go to an expert who deals daily with the products...call or email Damon at the Tire Rack and ask him....he sees and sells hundreds of tires every month. I went to him just recently because I'm running a set of PS2 315/18's on the back and the options for the 315's are rather limited.....he cut thru the BS and gave me some great options based upon his knowledge gained from feedback from the drivers he sells to.... as well as test data and reviews. Actually, he was big on the Kumho Ecsta XS...but they're relatively new and not much feedback available yet. I could buy a complete staggered set for what I paid for the two rear PS2's. I doubt that in my runs thru the "wigglies" as $Manager called them....that I'd be able to tell the difference.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:25 AM
formulab is infamous around these parts
if money no object, ps 2's are hands down the best.

if price is a concern, others here have some good options. keep in mind, only thing between you and the road is that rubber. one of most neglected choices by many to save a buck.

ps 2's: good tire wear, very quiet, excellent grip, good in the wet.
my favorite easily

Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Couldn't agree more with $Manager. Face it...most of us on these forums are "recreational users" of our cars....and the PS2 is really an overkill when you consider the price and how most of us use our cars. This doesn't include the track guys or folks who regularly do DE days....but then the semi-pros usually have another set of wheels and tires that they use for these sorts of events. There's no denying that the PS2 consistently comes out in the top spot in reviews....but are they really necessary for our driving habits?

Although there's a lot of experience thru the guys on the forum, we all have our favorites and biases. Some of our info comes from our friends, some from reviews and some are recommended by whatever it is we happen to be running on our cars. It would seem prudent to go to an expert who deals daily with the products...call or email Damon at the Tire Rack and ask him....he sees and sells hundreds of tires every month. I went to him just recently because I'm running a set of PS2 315/18's on the back and the options for the 315's are rather limited.....he cut thru the BS and gave me some great options based upon his knowledge gained from feedback from the drivers he sells to.... as well as test data and reviews. Actually, he was big on the Kumho Ecsta XS...but they're relatively new and not much feedback available yet. I could buy a complete staggered set for what I paid for the two rear PS2's. I doubt that in my runs thru the "wigglies" as $Manager called them....that I'd be able to tell the difference.
Kumho XS are good in the dry BUT suck in the wet. We tested them on the track and @ the CMP wet skid pad. Turn in on the wet skid pad was non existent. Also the XS is a very soft compound and you will not get very many miles.

Peter

Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Peter: Good feedback. I'm basically a dry weather sailor...in the event I was driving in the rain, I would cut it back substantially regardless of the wet rating of the tires. I probably have another 6K miles left on the PS2's....and by the time I'm ready for another set, there will be much more information available. Thanks for the hands-on feedback...that's the sort of info I like to see...personal knowledge. Rep point for you.........sorry for the ignorance....but what's the CMP???

**I came back with an afterthought. What speeds did you notice the traction breaking loose? What sort of course were you running...i.e. how tight were the turns....did you have any hydroplaning?

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 07-14-2009 at 10:46 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need new tires; what's best for all around use?