996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt 2nd gear popout issue = class actionable?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
BMW has a history of making good on Class Action Suits, though. On the '95 E36 M3, the transmission could torque a tad clock-wise during hard driving, so a power shift from third gear would result in you pulling down into second gear, and not fourth. Needless to say, if you were at redline in third, coming off the clutch in second caused a mechanical overrev and the engine went boom. One item that probably hurt them was that they modified the specific engine mounts that caused this problem in subsequent years, and I believe even added a stabilizer for rigidity, implicity acknowleging that something was wrong. Unless Porsche has done the same, this case is a lot more difficult to prove. Also, I would assume that the volume of M3s produced was much higher than 911 Turbos. This means that the cost of litigation is shared over a smaller base, and makes it less likely that a legal firm would want to lay out that kind of money, or get class members to join. Good luck to all, though.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
update: not that anyone is paying any particular interest to this, but this is a VERY FLUID situation, and changing daily, it seems.

i have reason to believe that my dealership is now going to completely repair my car, under warranty coverage. while i am more than surprised at this latest turn of events, it seems as if they are INDEED poised to do the "right thing". they sure are "treating me differently" i must say!..and i'm not a huge believer in coincidence. so.. hmmm.

i don't know if that is because they are reading this sh*t, or simply that they were indeed telling me the truth when they spoke to me candidly and suggested that it might in fact BE a factory defect and inherent flaw in the way that the trans were built, which would obviously then have all replacement costs borne out by my extended Porsche Warranty!

my point is, that it seems i have some very real options and will know what more of them may be once i've met with these attorneys. it's comforting already to now at this early stage that my dealership is clearly leaning toward a complete repair, which is fact fair, as i never damaged the car in the first place.

they would CERTAINLY want to shut up someone who might be in lead position on a class action suit. i could see them doing all kinds of great stuff, like maybe even rolling me into a later model as my financing is with PFS also!

who knows.., it's getting more interesting, and to those of you who have pm'd me, about possibly joining in on a CL suit, please, keep em coming. im not sure how this'll all shake out but i do know, the more the merrier, in a suit like this! should there ever be one, that is.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:45 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone, it should be the NA guys who have engines fail at an astonishing rate due to intermix/ims failure/whatever.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 PM
euro_king is infamous around these parts
Recent lawsuit to Bmw is about the e46 subframe.

http://www.motorauthority.com/bmw-se...ed-models.html

Old 07-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I had the 2nd gear pop out issue on an 03TT w/less than 8k mi. I brought it to the dealer who was able to replicate the issue in a test drive. The immediately called a PCNA rep and in 3 days I had a new tranny and was driving.
After 7 Porsches I have never felt that the Porsche company did not stand behind their cars, if I did I would have stopped buying them and if the dealer did not play it straight they would lose my business too as they are our best ally in any dispute. We get to vote with our $'s and we should only do so where we believe we get the best product and service.
JS.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
sounds like your situation is the rarity rather than the norm unfortunately

maybe anyone with this popout issue should go to this dealer...problem solved

Old 07-16-2009, 08:02 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I had 2nd gear pop out and had it repaired. See my posts in the poll thread.

Go for it. My car was beyond the factory warranty....so I searched here and avoid the dealer...they were going to just sell me a stock tranny...probably with the same design flaw in it. That makes/made no sense to me...

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-16-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
I had the 2nd gear pop out issue on an 03TT w/less than 8k mi. I brought it to the dealer who was able to replicate the issue in a test drive. The immediately called a PCNA rep and in 3 days I had a new tranny and was driving.
After 7 Porsches I have never felt that the Porsche company did not stand behind their cars, if I did I would have stopped buying them and if the dealer did not play it straight they would lose my business too as they are our best ally in any dispute. We get to vote with our $'s and we should only do so where we believe we get the best product and service.
JS.
it's a bit different obviously, under those set of conditions. new, 8k miles, i mean them denying then would be bordering on the absurd, given they were able to replicate it. which is a very salient point, in all of this. as the issue has just developed on my car, although it is new to me, who knows whether or not this issue pre existed or was in fact, just "waiting to happen" as in my case i'm certain it was.

i'm still not sure they were able to "replicate it", and i think that they were not, but given all of these particulars unique to MY situation ( who knows, perhaps they've checked ME out with PCNA and know i've had two 911's albeit years ago?..) eg, (a) they "know" of the cars propensity for 2nd gear synchro/trans issues, and that (b) i'm a guy who is GOING to buy a new car from the shortly etc etc.

add to that, the fact that i've done my homework and sought counsel, etc etc..

it all adds up to they are going to fix my current car, and ultimately i'm going to mod and drive the living sh*t out of it, ( 2 yr warranty be damned ) and also but a new one, since they will indeed, have done the "right thing"

as i mentioned i have had to battle pcna with a once new 993, but at the end of the day, they DID warranty/fix the issue ( wiring harness ) and i've been a porsche lover all of my life, so they get to keep my business, and in fact this particualr dealer as well, so everyone wins. except they're out the 3k for the job it would cost ME 10k to fix if the circumstances, were different. doesn't even bother me, that i'm getting a stcok trans replacement. i've been told the steel synchros aren't really "right" for the car

Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
JS.

it's a bit different obviously, under those set of conditions. new, 8k miles, i mean them denying then would be bordering on the absurd, given they were able to replicate it. which is a very salient point, in all of this. as the issue has just developed on my car, although it is new to me, who knows whether or not this issue pre existed or was in fact, just "waiting to happen" as in my case i'm certain it was.

i'm still not sure they were able to "replicate it", and i think that they were not, but given all of these particulars unique to MY situation ( who knows, perhaps they've checked ME out with PCNA and know i've had two 911's albeit years ago?..) eg, (a) they certainly "know" of the cars propensity for 2nd gear synchro/trans issues, and that (b) i'm a guy who is GOING to buy a new car from the shortly etc etc.

add to that, the fact that i've done my homework and sought counsel, etc etc..

it all adds up to they are going to fix my current car, and ultimately i'm going to mod and drive the living sh*t out of it, ( 2 yr warranty be damned ) and also shortly buy a new one from them ( one of? the owners... he's been cool with me.. on a casual basis as i've run into him at a local car meet of exotics near the dealership.. and they only know i bought the cheapest car on their lot! so they didn't know me from "adam" initially, and would've had NO reason to treat me fairly, let alone deferentially, which i'm getting a "bit" of now..).. since they will indeed, have done the "right thing". and where i come from, that's what ya do, you bring your business back to the people that treat you right, as you have.

as i mentioned i have had to battle pcna with a once new 993, but at the end of the day, they DID warranty/fix the issue ( wiring harness ) and i've been a porsche lover all of my life, so they get to keep my business, and in fact this particualr dealer as well, so everyone wins. except they're out the 3k for the job it would cost ME 10k to fix if the circumstances, were different. doesn't even bother me, that i'll getting a stock trans replacement. i've been told the steel synchros aren't really "right" for the car, and know i know there's an "issue", i'll be very mindful of it. i'd rather be mindful of a new trans, than one that's popping out of 2nd friggin gear going down a 30% grade hill!, as i'm up and down hill, ALL day long where i live!

it's all gonna be fine...i'm still kinda curious, what this atty is gonna say about a "potential" C suit though, once he thouroughly reviews all this stuff etc.. this guy knows his sh*t, and wouldn't give ME the time of day, if it weren't a VERY winnable thing. we shall see. honestly, i'm not really feelin the whole "take up the cause for everyone" bit, especially since they're gonna fix my sh*t. ... but again, we'll see. either way, "right" is gonna prevail, and good on them, if they do it without being "forced", or "strongarmed". my choice will, and is always, peace over conflict. at the end of the day, all i want is my car not to pop out of 2nd gear. ha.

edit: sorry about the dbl post.. was using the keyboard that came with the factory PCM system. ya know, the one where the phone buttons don't even work with.. YOUR PHONE! ha!

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 07-16-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You just KNOW how to fight it the right way. They're not going to let you bring the whole house down.

Might be a good time to look into a GUARD LSD!