996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HRE's clear coat chips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 05:30 AM
bking is infamous around these parts
HRE's clear coat chips?

When I got them there was a small chip in the clear coat (chrome rim, brushed spoke), now after 5/6 months I have several other areas. They also stain easily where it's chipped. What if anything is done about the chipped clear coat, what to do to keep in clean? Thanks for any help.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:31 AM
ChrisNJ is infamous around these parts
You should probably consider sending them back to hre and have them re-clear them. In the mean time you can use mothers billet alum polish on the brushed alum, and some mothers chrome polish or vm on the chrome area. Using a polish on clear coats however may, after time, begin to show signs of light scratching due to the abrasiveness of the metal polish. You can treat the clear on wheels like you would your paint. But, those products will clean up the areas that are no longer clearcoated and remove any dirt, making it less obvious that area is missing clear coat.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:28 AM
TCM
TCM is infamous around these parts
I am assuming the chip is in the inner spokes and not on the polished lip? HRE usually refised to clear the outside lip for anyone due to chipping. I woudl suggest sending them back to get refinished and then wax them before you put them on your car. Road rocks are going to chip the centers no matter what you do, so just try to put some protective coating on them and enjoy them. Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:45 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by TCM
I am assuming the chip is in the inner spokes and not on the polished lip? HRE usually refised to clear the outside lip for anyone due to chipping.
Since when?

BKing.......is your issue on the rims?......or on the centers?

Old 11-01-2004, 12:14 PM
bking is infamous around these parts
Clear coat is on brushed centers only. Thanks for info. Looks like I need to send them back. This is not uncommon I guess?

Old 11-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Red C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to behold
Contact HRE and send them back. The wheels shouldn't chip. I never had a problem with my 547s.

Old 11-01-2004, 04:34 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Red C5
Contact HRE and send them back. The wheels shouldn't chip. I never had a problem with my 547s.
I thought you only used American Racing?

Old 11-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Red C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by sharkster
I thought you only used American Racing?

Do those look like Kinesis to you? Don't hijack the thread.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:21 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
ROFL... ah that bring back memories. Our first day out at the track eh? Back in the summer of 69...