996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Good Car Cover?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Good Car Cover?

Because I commute on the train, my car is basically a weekend driver. I was thinking of getting a car cover to keep the dust off in between weekends. I park in a parking deck, but it's open on the sides and sometimes weather blows in, so I think I need an outdoor cover. Also, I'd like something with a bit of padding to it to protect against the possibility of door dings from inconsiderate neighbors.
Any suggestions? I tried searching for car covers, but the search engine keeps locking up on me?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Because I commute on the train, my car is basically a weekend driver. I was thinking of getting a car cover to keep the dust off in between weekends. I park in a parking deck, but it's open on the sides and sometimes weather blows in, so I think I need an outdoor cover. Also, I'd like something with a bit of padding to it to protect against the possibility of door dings from inconsiderate neighbors.
Any suggestions? I tried searching for car covers, but the search engine keeps locking up on me?
There is no such thing as a "good" car cover unless the car is VERY clean and 100% dry every single time you use it. I wouldn't recommend using one unless you are committed to washing your car every weekend before you put it away.

Find a good storage facility in your area, I know of a couple that are fairly reasonable.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:08 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
And the cover collects dirt/dust after awhile; the car gets dirty because of that. I use a "California Duster" after the car is parked for awhile and it generally keeps the car is good condition between washes.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
If you get a good cover and use it religiously, you won't need to wash the car for 2-3 months. A duster and some quick detailer are good ideas too.

California car cover, coverking, covercraft all offer good covers. I recommend technolon (previously called evolution 4) as the material if you want ding protection. It comes either in 3 or 4 layers in material so it's thick and heavier. Otherwise, weather shield is best for a light weight, single layer material.

If you are not getting too much dust, I'd just use a duster and forget the cover. It isn't that much of a hassle to put it on and off but your car is already in a covered space so i'd not fret about it.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:11 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
New York garages, either indoors or out, collect a lot of dust. There's nothing that gets me more upset (well some things do) than parking my freshly waxed baby at 10:00PM on Saturday night, and picking it up on Sunday at 9:00AM with a millimeter or so of dust and crap on it. The California duster works, but gets filthy after the second wipe-down. I'll probably try a cover at some point, but I am concerned about the same reasons mentioned here. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:36 PM
dscottjr is infamous around these parts
Agree with Tony. You can't put a cover on a dirty car. You're only going to scratch it.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Although advertised a "the best car cover" or other adjectives....once there's dirt in bwtween the cover and the paint, scratches result. A cover can keep some of it out and reduce some of the obvious grime that collects over the course of the parking day, th ebottom line is that ANY dirt, dust, or particles tha tcolletct between the cover and the paint will result in those spider like scratches. no way to protect against that except for a good wash with a good foaming cleanser that floats away the particles that cause the scratches. I've put on a CarCraft cover INSIDE the garage, and had it collect dirt and particles underneath when the wind was blowing....an environmental bubble is the only way I know to keep it pristine. It is better than nothing, but it eventually will leave spider web scratchws.