996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intake Plenium

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:17 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Intake Plenium

Is it a worthwhile bang for your buck to switch the intake plenium on a stock 996 Turbo, what are the resultant changes please?? How much labor is this typically ??

Old 07-18-2009, 11:20 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Turbo Mike is the IPD guru. Where do you live?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Switzerland

Old 07-18-2009, 02:37 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I think it will give you a little hp but its not worth the cost, labor, and PITA for a stock turbo. I would spend some more and get a flash. That is the most BFTB for a stock turbo, imo.
Here is a vid of several cars after the IPD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFmLlwKD69w

Last edited by MBailey; 07-18-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:35 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I agree, you don't need it. Your turbos don't flow enough air to need an intake like that. It's a lot like one person living in a 10,000 sq. foot house. It's very expensive and you can't use it all (unless you have a live in harem) lol.

Get a good flash, some diverter valves and an exhaust first.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Banned
BlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
I agree, you don't need it. Your turbos don't flow enough air to need an intake like that. It's a lot like one person living in a 10,000 sq. foot house. It's very expensive and you can't use it all (unless you have a live in harem) lol.

Get a good flash, some diverter valves and an exhaust first.
No, he does not need a plenum. No, he does not need a Porsche Turbo. No, he does not even need a Porsche. No, he does not need a nice house. No, he does not need to go on a $10,000 vacation. And NO, he certainly does not need a 360 Stradale.

Does he want more mid range TQ? If yes, a plenum will give him more mid range TQ.

Do you have an IPD plenum? If you don't, you are most likely not qualified to make any judgements.

There are parts that make power and there are parts that don't make you power and just cost $$$.

The IPD plenum produces a noticable power gain. This is a part that even makes power on a non Turbo car. As we all know this is much more complicated matter than using a gutted exhaust system on a turbo.

Read about my impressions after the install here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...urbo-mike.html

Last edited by BlackBear; 07-18-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Like the others have said, not really necessary until you do a bunch of others mods first, this would probably be one of among the last things you do

Old 07-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I had the RSS plenum on my 996C2 and did get a bit of midrange Tq and felt it was worth the money....but on the TT, until you get into the 7-800 HP ranges where you need to suck in more air....you really dont' seem to benefit much...RSS may have some dyno info on the TT that would be more scientific than my opinion....but in truth, on a 96TT platform....a good flash, well built exhaust, and a wastegate kit will give you more bang for the buck than just about anything else....but that's not even dealing with the suspension issue.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:23 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Blackbear I'm not sure what your problem is. I gave my opinion. No, I don't have access to a super computer right now nor computational fluid dynamics programs at the moment but I feel that I am qualified to give my opinion regardless of what side of the bed you woke up on today. I said his money would be better suited if he started with a flash, dv and an exhaust. I did not say he wouldn't get any benefit from what he wanted to do.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear: No one is knocking RSS or IPD...quite the contrary...there are a lot of kudos for the product line. I think what you're seeing is that for most of the guys/gals (we always forget about the gals) who run in the 500-600 HP ranges, their money is most likely better spent on the recognized mods first that have been proven to work on the 996TT platform...that being the flash, exhaust, DV's, and the wastegates. When you start really getting serious, then the size of the intakes, intercoolers, turbos, fuel rails, FPR, exhaust etc all get larger by necessity. That's all we're saying...you need to approach your mods by setting your objective first. Big HP...Big stuff. Not so big HP...not so much needed. No slight intended for the product line, but there's "want" versus "need"/

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 07-18-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:28 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I'll keep it simple based on my experience with one and without one. On my old set up with GT28 non ball bearing turbos....improved throtle response and quicker spool of turbos, hands down. I will not say I agree or disagree with anyone....my numbers speak for itself very simple like I said. Least amount of money spentfor a little mod which gave a great result. GL

Old 07-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Hey Art!

Yeah, your GT28s were monsters. I don't think anyone has any doubts that using that intake with your build was a very good idea. I don't know what they typically flow cfm but with your new turbos a y pipe intake may actually end up being a restriction. Are you going with a larger pipe or have you devised a way around it?
It's good to hear from you. How's your build coming along? I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more about it. Have a great weekend.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:17 AM
sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up My IPD Plenum Experience

Speaking from my experience... When I first got my K24/18G's on the feeling was real good. I was happy, kick was awesome and didn't feel much lag at all. Then when I got my 75mm IPD Plenum and Throttle Body on, my 18G's really turned on and the response got even better. I highly recommend it.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:50 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
The new Y pipe design is in there somewhere, much bigger one for more flow. We are currently designing the new IC's way way larger than before. Let me just tell you that the heads move a lot of cfm's, lots more. Getting close for sure. I will have more updates next week. Cheers

Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
Hey Art!

Yeah, your GT28s were monsters. I don't think anyone has any doubts that using that intake with your build was a very good idea. I don't know what they typically flow cfm but with your new turbos a y pipe intake may actually end up being a restriction. Are you going with a larger pipe or have you devised a way around it?
It's good to hear from you. How's your build coming along? I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more about it. Have a great weekend.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:04 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I installed the plenum/TB after I already had an EVOMS GT700 + ICs. My butt dyno checked out at about 625 crank hp so subjectively I cannot tell any difference after the plenum/TB. However, I can measure a difference with my Performance Box and I feel the gains are worthwhile.

Somewhat surprizingly, I can measure improved performance at the low end and especially at the high end of the power range. The midrange is surprizingly unchanged or maybe even a touch lower than with the GT700 alone. Somewhat concerned about the midrange I contacted EVOMS about some custom tuning for the new plenum/TB. Todd Z said that no tuning was needed. The overall improvement for my car across the whole power band is roughly 4-5%. At my level that is roughly 25 hp which is a little more EVOMS claimed it would be. The TB/Plenum has only been on the car a week so the ECU may adapt and improve performance slowly. (After the GT700 kit had been on the car for three weeks the high rpm performance improved 2% without having done anything to the car and outside conditions had gotten even worse for engine power ie heat & humidity).

Here is a P Box plot of 4th gear during 60-130 runs. The plenum speed line is red the non plenum speed line is blue. If you download the chart and look at it closely you can see the plenum is slightly but definitively superior to the setup without the plenum. (Conditions are roughly equivalent ie both hot and humid!!) As you can see the plenum reaches 130 mph 0.13s faster than the nonplenum. This only tranlates into ~2ft of difference in distance traveled by each car during the run. The third gear performance is similar but slightly less difference between the two. Most of the gain is in the upper rpms which agrees with the IPD site for modded turbos. This may not seem like much unless you are interested in bettering your 60-130 time. The plenum/TB gave me roughly 0.1s improvement in third gear and a 0.13s improvement in fourth gear thus dropping a 60-130 time by more than 2 tenths.

So should you get this for your first mod on a stock turbo. The truth is I dont really know because I never had one one a stock turbo. But my judgement tells me this is probably not the best initial mod. I still believe a flash+DVs+/- sport exhaust is the place to start. The k-16s probably dont move enough air to benefit much from this mod, imo. I believe its is a worthwhile mod on higher hp cars to improve spool time and high rpm hp.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake Plenium