996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

lighter jack sucks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
lighter jack sucks

my cigarette lighter jack sucks, my cell phone and valentine chargers do not fit it and fall out after any slight bump, am i the only one with this problem ?

i'm probably going to run a wire with a seperate decent cigarette lighter jack and put it in the center console armrest box so i can have it hidden

Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by buzzm
my cigarette lighter jack sucks, my cell phone and valentine chargers do not fit it and fall out after any slight bump, am i the only one with this problem ?

i'm probably going to run a wire with a seperate decent cigarette lighter jack and put it in the center console armrest box so i can have it hidden
I have the same problem with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Not sure if it helps, but here is what I did. On the passanger side of the center console (i.e where the Nav DVD and climate control is),

1) there is a leather panel that is easy to remove.
2) behind that panel is a carpet that is also easy to remove.

Once you have those 2 things out, there is a telephone prep cable that is easy to access.
3) remove ashtray
4) Unclip the ring for gear shift so you can see between the telephone prep plug and ashtray.
5) fish a cable from the ashtry to the passanger side area where the telephone prep plug is located.

Telephone prep plus is:
Brown - ground
Yellow/Black - telephone mute
Green/Black - switched 12 volts
Red/Green - unswitched 12 volts

Existing cig lighter adapter was black, red green. I combined the red and green (cig lighter) and connected it to green/black (tele prep). Connected black (cig lighter) to brown (tele prep). This will only turn your device on when the key is turned. (Function12 - member - helped me out)

It takes about 1/2 hour and anyone can do it. Could post pics if you want, but its really not hard.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ange-tpms.html

Old 07-20-2009, 11:51 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
The little tabs that create friction on the inside are probably bent back. Remove the horsehoe with a plactic spatula, and then unclip the lighter from the power harness. With the lighter unplugged (meaning literally not plugged in anywhere) you can pry those tabs out a bit with a screwdriver. The whole process should take 5 minutes.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
I have no problem using my V1 in it

Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
The little tabs that create friction on the inside are probably bent back. Remove the horsehoe with a plactic spatula, and then unclip the lighter from the power harness. With the lighter unplugged (meaning literally not plugged in anywhere) you can pry those tabs out a bit with a screwdriver. The whole process should take 5 minutes.
excellent, i'll try that

think i will also run a seperate lighter to the armrest box so i can hide my phone charger

Old 07-20-2009, 03:42 PM
smdubovsky is infamous around these parts
IIRC, there is a metric/euro socket standard thats a little different than the US one. Its slightly larger so many US plugs don't fit snug. My VW even mentioned it in the user manual. Maybe porsche used the same one? There are adapters you can get. Or just bend the tabs...

Old 07-20-2009, 03:46 PM
smdubovsky is infamous around these parts
Found it. Porsche had the same problem on 97-01 vehicles. Good to know Im not loosing my mind

"In 1997-2001 model Boxster (986) and Carrera (996) vehicles, many of the plugs and power adapters for accessory devices fit too loosely in the slightly larger diameter sockets. This causes intermittent contact or loose connections. This kit features the newer style DIN/SAE Standard cigar lighter assembly and fits most accessory plugs and adapters better. No mechanical or electrical modifications are necessary, it is a direct replacement."

Code: 99665210210AND

Price: $17.95

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=POTEBXCM

Old 07-20-2009, 04:08 PM
rep point for you, great memory, you just saved me a bunch of hassle and gave me a nice little simple weekend project to keep me out of trouble, parts just ordered

thank you very much

Stephen

Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 PM
aviography is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by smdubovsky
Found it. Porsche had the same problem on 97-01 vehicles. Good to know Im not loosing my mind

"In 1997-2001 model Boxster (986) and Carrera (996) vehicles, many of the plugs and power adapters for accessory devices fit too loosely in the slightly larger diameter sockets. This causes intermittent contact or loose connections. This kit features the newer style DIN/SAE Standard cigar lighter assembly and fits most accessory plugs and adapters better. No mechanical or electrical modifications are necessary, it is a direct replacement."

Code: 99665210210AND
Price: $17.95

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=POTEBXCM
I was just given this solution from a Rennlist post, however it seems this part number is "not available at the moment", whatever that means.....