996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

WIll I pass Smog?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Merlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of light
WIll I pass Smog?

Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I am running a Speedtech 70MM exhaust and 100 Octane, will I have any smog issues in SoCal?

Thanks,

Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Former Vendor
Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !
I recently got a smog on my 996TT turbo and I was told by the smog shop that any mod to the car will need a Carb sticker or it wouldn't pass visual in CA. But most smog shops probably wouldn't know the difference between an aftermarket exhaust or a stock one.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Merlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of light
Thomas,

I was over at the shop yesterday setting an appointment with Betim and forgot to ask that question. Do you think the 100 Octane will be an issue?

Have we met?

Thanks,

Old 07-24-2009, 03:39 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Depends where you go. If it sounds loud, between the exhaust and the LWFW- and they smell the race gas- they might look real hard. From a tailpipe point of view I would think you should be fine.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Any suggestions on where to go?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:59 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
i would go to a dealership they just wanna get your car out there and don't know whats what (a non porsche dearlership) be sure you tellem u have all wheel dr they don't know that eather and the test is way easier. any way when i had mine done

Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Merlin
Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I am running a Speedtech 70MM exhaust and 100 Octane, will I have any smog issues in SoCal?

Thanks,
I passed the smog test in socal with flying colors with your same exhaust, giac ecu, on pump gas. You shouldn't have any problems passing the visual, as they are typically not very familiar with our cars. we also have an advantage since our cars are all wheel drive, so they can't put them on the rollers. If possible, i would switch back to 91 oct, although you'll probably do fine 100.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
I passed smog no problem with....

100 cel cats, GIAC, miltek exhaust etc.
The local smog guy just looked at the engine and said every seems fine then ran the regular tests - passed with flying colors.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Take it to the cheesiest smog place you can find where you know they've never seen a Porsche. I passed with flying colors.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Just exhaust u should be fine...but I don't know why you put 100 oct in there

Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The car won't pass the visual inspection but should pass the actual test no problem. If the guy is a jerk, he is going to put in the system that you have tampered with the smog equipment. That's what happened to me.

I would tell the technician that you have an aftermarket exhaust with a catalyst BEFORE actually signing up. Tell them you are not expecting any favors but don't want to even begin if they're going to fail you. At least you'll know if he's a jerk before he writes you up.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:21 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
The car won't pass the visual inspection but should pass the actual test no problem. If the guy is a jerk, he is going to put in the system that you have tampered with the smog equipment. That's what happened to me.

I would tell the technician that you have an aftermarket exhaust with a catalyst BEFORE actually signing up. Tell them you are not expecting any favors but don't want to even begin if they're going to fail you. At least you'll know if he's a jerk before he writes you up.
Sorry but that sounds like a bad plan. Smog shops are regularly tested by undercovers. If a shop has a stranger come in and say, essentially, 'legally you should fail me', who would go forward?

Finding the shop 'least likely for a Porsche dealer to choose' is a plan...

Old 07-24-2009, 11:29 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Don't sweat it....

Like I posted in another thread (and here) - simply take it to a regular smog shop which is unlikely to recognize an after market exhaust system.

I always use the one next to the ez-lube place in our area.

The owner / tech was more interested in the TT for what it was as he doesn't get many to smog and makes a change from the run of the mill.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 PM
thanks guys, I will drop the 100 down to 91, which suck btw, and fine a place. I was going to take it to AAA by my house, but that may be a bad choice.

I use the 100 because 91 blows. The 100 makes it run nice + with the exhaust I am seeing 1.0 bar.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:15 AM
ard
Originally Posted by Merlin
thanks guys, I will drop the 100 down to 91, which suck btw, and fine a place. I was going to take it to AAA by my house, but that may be a bad choice.

I use the 100 because 91 blows. The 100 makes it run nice + with the exhaust I am seeing 1.0 bar.
BTW, with the stock flash you can run 50-50% with 91 and 100 octane and get the same results. The stock program can only 'use' so much of the octane- basically around 95 octane.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WIll I pass Smog?