996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

the common white smoke startup thing, but for 5-10 minutes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Dave, this is the fitting we are all talking about. It may or may not be your problem. I would call Tony and Tial and see if this is necessary with their turbos. It was necessary with Turbonetics and some Precision turbos I've used in the past.

Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2009, 09:41 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
Hey Dave!
I had same experiance immediately after I installed A28s. It was worse if I parked the car on a mild slope. It totally resolved after a few months with no intervention required.
Hey Mike, no kidding? Did yours happen on numerous occasions and it was the same billowing of white smoke for a good 5-10 minutes upon start? Interesting on the slope thing because both times it happened to me I was indeed parked on a mild slope behind my office..... hmmmm. So you weren't worried and didn't check anything out with it? What were you told it was?

Originally Posted by ttboost
Dave, this is the fitting we are all talking about. It may or may not be your problem. I would call Tony and Tial and see if this is necessary with their turbos. It was necessary with Turbonetics and some Precision turbos I've used in the past.
Thanks for the pics Mike. I am waiting to hear back from Tony - he has been out of the office recently. Hope to hear from him tmrw on this. I should try to reach Tial too - good idea.

Originally Posted by 04GT3RS
Like I said earlier I was not trying to insult or offend anyone and no that is not what I meant. It is great that people post and share but when you read and follow the thread and there is an explanation that is accurate sometimes it is nice if others would listen and learn from someone who is sharing his knowledge and experience.
Once again do not misunderstand my message. More times than not I may have poor delivery.
I appreciate the help.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I am going to give you the benefit of a doubt that you aren't talking about me...

Yes, the valves comes apart, been there, dont that as well. It's possible, and maybe probable that the OP didnt know the valves came apart, but who the hell are you to throw a fit because someone isn't (as far as you know) taking your advice? Btw, if you were talking about me, I didn't say the turbos were bad, I said take the intake hoses off, if there is oil, you probably have a bearing/turbo problem, and more than not, I would be right, but that's not the point. The point is to help a fellow motor head with an issue, better to have several possible options than none.

You may be right, but again, its no reason, nor do you have the right to be a d---k. Seriously, back it down a bit and you might have more "thanks" instead of who's the brat screaming no one's listening to me!

I challenge Dave from were ever he is to proof that the check valves, that is what they are called, have an orifice in the inlet or oulet that is as small as .060" or smaller. He probably does not even know that the ck valves come apart. See this is one reason why a dislike participating in any kind of forum. Most of the people that comment on here do not have the back ground, expertise or experience for that matter to even be discussing this. Well anyhow according to the next bonehead your turbos are bad. So go ahead and send them to Greg or Jake a Tial and if you can proof to them that they are bad put the next ones on and be ready to kill bugs because it will smoke if you do not restrict the oil flow to the cartridge. BTW Greg is the owner of Tial Sport whom I have had a working relation for over 15 years. Sorry if anybody thinks I am being too aggresive or a d--- but I stand my ground when I am right.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:27 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
^^ Thanks. Well said.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
Hey Mike, no kidding? Did yours happen on numerous occasions and it was the same billowing of white smoke for a good 5-10 minutes upon start? Interesting on the slope thing because both times it happened to me I was indeed parked on a mild slope behind my office..... hmmmm. So you weren't worried and didn't check anything out with it? What were you told it was?
Yes, lots of white smoke for 5-10 min mostly out of the side which was lowest on the slope. I was told not to worry by wrench so I did not. Now has not done it for close to a year. I can assure you it does not definitely mean your turbos are bad. I would think if turbos were bad the smoke would not stop after 10 min or so.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
I challenge Dave from were ever he is to proof that the check valves, that is what they are called, have an orifice in the inlet or oulet that is as small as .060" or smaller. He probably does not even know that the ck valves come apart. See this is one reason why a dislike participating in any kind of forum. Most of the people that comment on here do not have the back ground, expertise or experience for that matter to even be discussing this. Well anyhow according to the next bonehead your turbos are bad. So go ahead and send them to Greg or Jake a Tial and if you can proof to them that they are bad put the next ones on and be ready to kill bugs because it will smoke if you do not restrict the oil flow to the cartridge. BTW Greg is the owner of Tial Sport whom I have had a working relation for over 15 years. Sorry if anybody thinks I am being too aggresive or a d--- but I stand my ground when I am right.

For what its worth, I can confidently say...Dave has installed more sets of A28's then anyone else Im aware of.

Your message delivery was harsh. I understand that there is much misinformation that floats around these boards, but seriously. Taking shots are people is just plain immature and doesnt help the technical nature of this forum.

I notice you have had a "working relationship" with tial for sometime. Do you own a shop? Maybe its time to become a sponsor if you are going to continue posting.....

Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Dave- I will call you in a few to discuss further.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by MBailey
Yes, lots of white smoke for 5-10 min mostly out of the side which was lowest on the slope. I was told not to worry by wrench so I did not. Now has not done it for close to a year. I can assure you it does not definitely mean your turbos are bad. I would think if turbos were bad the smoke would not stop after 10 min or so.
Wow, very interesting. Makes me feel a little better now. Yeah I didn't think the turbos were bad (not that I know how to troubleshoot this or anything). Thanks.

Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Dave- I will call you in a few to discuss further.
Thanks Tony. I feel better after talking to you now. Anthony should be calling today too I think.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:36 PM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
Pull the intake hose off the turbo, if there is oil, you probably have a turbo/bearing problem.
This is the rubber hose that connect the turbo to the black molded plastic, I've had to do this a couple times.
unless there is excessive shaft play there is not a turbo/bearing problem

Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
True, absolutely correct.

Originally Posted by TiALSport
unless there is excessive shaft play there is not a turbo/bearing problem

Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 PM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
flash, you running mobil1?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by TiALSport
flash, you running mobil1?
Yep, 0-40.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
hey white smoke is water, blue smoke is oil blk smpke is fuel good luck

Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
noticed your near sf white smoke could be traped fog..... sorry seemed funny at the time, anyway any smell? my turbos went last year,it was the same deal but it got worse it was turbo bushings, the rebuilder blamed it on the oil(redline) he also said it was the tec who has installed my stuff fo 20 some years. who really knows i replaced them both no probs as of yet

Old 07-30-2009, 04:57 PM
well both times it happened I was parked for a few hours at my office in San Ramon.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the common white smoke startup thing, but for 5-10 minutes?