996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Flying Viper is infamous around these parts
Tire question

I have Bridgestone Potenza S-02A 295/30 ZR-18 tires (rear)on my 04 TT.
A piece of metal in the road caused a flat tire.(big hole)
I was thinking of just getting a new one to match the others.
I see alot of opinions about tires, I dont want to waste money but, dont want to get a tire that is not considered good.
Any thoughts on the tires I have?
Thank you

Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
unless the tires have a lot of miles or age I wouldn't consider replacing all four...you certainly don't want to mismatch tires...as it is...if your other rear is worn you will have to replace both rears...when it is time to replace all four you might want to get "N" spec (Porsche specific) tires...probably Michelin or Pirelli

Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I've got significant power upgrades and I run the Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position. I never have traction issues they ride smooth and quiet and are significantly cheaper than any other comparable tire. Check 'um out if you've been happy with the bridgestones.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Flying Viper
I have Bridgestone Potenza S-02A 295/30 ZR-18 tires (rear)on my 04 TT.
A piece of metal in the road caused a flat tire.(big hole)
I was thinking of just getting a new one to match the others.
I see alot of opinions about tires, I dont want to waste money but, dont want to get a tire that is not considered good.
Any thoughts on the tires I have?
Thank you
How many miles are on your rear tires? You need to replace both if the answer is more than a couple thousand miles.

I've gone through more brands and designs of tires than I can count and the best one I've found so far is the Bridgestone KDW which is what I use on my STi, but unfortunately they don't make it in Porsche Turbo sizes. The Conti Sport Contacts are great tires in the dry but I hated them in the wet, especially their tendency to hydroplane. I tried the Toyo Proxes but they don't have as much grip as the other offerings out there. They were very good in the wet and wore slower than other tires, but at the cost of dry grip. I'll probably (once again) try another type of tire when my current Pilot Sports are worn out. I'm not entirely happy with them either.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback

I do have to replace all four tires. The one is damaged beyond repair and the other 3 are now going on 6 years old, and are showing signs of cracking in the thread area.

I have decided (judging by what other Porsche owners say) to go with the Sumitomo HTRZ lll .
What concerns me is that they are like half the price of the P. Zeros and the PS2's. I'm affraid of the "you pay for what you get" thing

Hope I'm making the right choice. ($600.00) for all four.

Thanks again guys

Old 07-30-2009, 02:20 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I'd go with the Bridgestones!!! You won't regret spending the extra money.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:35 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe I could help you out on tire prices. My buddy owns both Evans Tire (san diego) and Discount Tire. Shoot me a PM with what you need. I know for sure he can get a better discount than what you find on Discount Tire website.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by SSMugen; 07-30-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
^ Nice offer David!

To the OP, if you are just driving normally, I'm sure the tires you picked will be fine. I remember reading the HTR+ thread and the reviews were quite positive.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:48 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Many guys here are using the Sumitomos. If you are not tracking the car, you will be happy. Or you could pay twice as much for the Michelins. I wouldn't buy Pirellis again.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I went for a rather aggressive drive tonight and it was the first time I actually went to redline in 1st and 2nd on the street and didn't spin... Love my Sumi's!!!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ttboost
I went for a rather aggressive drive tonight and it was the first time I actually went to redline in 1st and 2nd on the street and didn't spin... Love my Sumi's!!!
The Sumi's are the best bang for the buck on the street. I am taking them to the track next week. Will let you know how they hold up. Haven't been since I put them on. I have been running with the Yokohama's so expectations are high....hope they don't dissapoint.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Sumi's have been superb on the street. Key will be for us as a group to learn the temperature management of these tires.....you can have the best tires but if you run them to high in terms of HP they'll stink....less PCA experience with these than with PS2s. Just want everyone to realize every instructor has had PS2's in the past and has a sense of them. Once we all understand the HTR z III's needs, I suspect they'll be just as good as a ps2 on track.

Rennlist had a nice, long thread on these tires in the 993 section. John, the originator of that forum and a PCA instructor, was very impressed on track with the tires.

No, they are not R cups....but for a Green/Blue person, they are probably ok. I have had them in rain at speed and they were great.

I think Dunlop and Sumi are partners, so these have the best rubber of that combination.....

TireRack tested them against some other tires on a BMW platform and they came out ahead of some pretty established tires....B tires and C tires...

JB

Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
SPECOPSCPT has a brilliant futureSPECOPSCPT has a brilliant futureSPECOPSCPT has a brilliant futureSPECOPSCPT has a brilliant futureSPECOPSCPT has a brilliant futureSPECOPSCPT has a brilliant futureSPECOPSCPT has a brilliant futureSPECOPSCPT has a brilliant futureSPECOPSCPT has a brilliant futureSPECOPSCPT has a brilliant futureSPECOPSCPT has a brilliant future
Kumho Ecsta

I bought a car with Kumho Ecstas and I am very happy with them, but I have only had them for a month...

Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Key will be for us as a group to learn the temperature management of these tires
Since I have that TPMS system that displays the psi and temp of the tire, I can tell you this.

90+ degrees outside temp spirited driving (not on a track)
Cold psi 36,44 (f,r) I have seen the psi at 41,49. I belive the temp of the tires were 108-111 but don't quote me on that. I will have to check again. The PSI readings are correct. Read on some other thread that +50 = lose traction - at 49 had plenty of grip.

At the track I am planning on lowering the psi 28,32 (f,r), running the $hit out of them and seeing were I get to. Going late afternoon/night so may not be a good first test.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/1779385-post3.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...=tire+pressure

Old 07-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks

Thanks again guys for the input. You all reassured me.
They are going on tomorrow.