996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BOLO P-Car driver is a cop killer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 12:33 AM
Banned for Life
Cole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by collin996tt
Think I saw his car in the For Sale forum.
Great price. Any takers?

Old 11-05-2004, 12:40 AM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
That is ridiculous! I think the police are just embarrassed they couldn't keep up so their trying to put everything on this guy! I highly doubt they have anything on him, how are they going to find a porsche driver who was racing a bike one day on 95!! I dont think our police intelligence is even smart enough to pick up on him,....he's good to go!

Old 11-05-2004, 12:57 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
If the guy knew he was being chased, he should be charged, but from the other articles I read when this first came up it said the cop saw them fly by in the opposite lane and then gave chase, by then the p-car and bike were long gone. If the driver knew he was being chased he is responsible, if he didn't, he shouldn't be.

It's like when the cops spun that 18 year old girl off the road and she died. Can you charge the cop w/ murder? No it was the girls fault for running.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:48 AM
bppump911 is infamous around these parts
Actually, I am a lawyer, and the manslaughter charge could very well hold up. If the Porsche driver was driving in such a way as to show wanton and reckless abandon for human life, then any death that is proximately caused by that behavior may be manslaughter or, in extreme cases, second degree murder. The prosecution has a real case.

Old 11-05-2004, 02:11 AM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by bppump911
Actually, I am a lawyer, and the manslaughter charge could very well hold up. If the Porsche driver was driving in such a way as to show wanton and reckless abandon for human life, then any death that is proximately caused by that behavior may be manslaughter or, in extreme cases, second degree murder. The prosecution has a real case.
That is truly sad...

Old 11-05-2004, 02:21 AM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
... i feel sorry about the death ... but here in Dallas the DPD have a law that they can't pursuit over 80 mph unless it's a felony and they radio a Sergeant's permission ... maybe the State Trooper's who all think they're owed something ... even give DPD officer's tickets here should het their head out of their *** and adopt the same rules ....

Old 11-05-2004, 04:33 AM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
The Camaro guys always talk about how fast they can get their cars and everyone always responds "Just wait untill we get to the twisties and I'll blow your Camaro out of the water".

I guess the cops should rethink using a Camaro as a high speed pursuit vehicle. I think the naysayers were right!

But on a more serious note, my prayers go out to the Police officers family, but I don't think the Porsche driver should be charged for manslaughter. Even if he KNEW the cop was chasing him, I don't think he should be charged. Why? Because the Police officer made a choice to drive at high speed to try and catch the Porsche. If he felt it was unsafe to go that fast, then he should've called for backup.

- KJ

Old 11-05-2004, 06:28 AM
ChrisRC is infamous around these parts
The Porsche driver and the officer both share some responsibility for the accident. However, I strongly oppose high speed police pursuits and this tragedy only strengthens my beliefs. I have never seen any evidence showing police chases actually save lives.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by bppump911
I second the sadness of this. What does 'proximately caused'
mean? If the officer decided to blow out the tires of the
Porsche with a shotgun, and accidentally killed a bystander,
is it the Porsche driver's fault?
The officer did have choices with his behavior, even within
the strictures of his responsibility (if not choice) to pursue.
He was solely responsible for piloting his car within his and
it's capabilities.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:40 AM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
Let me get this straight ... if a cop decides to chase you and he crashes and dies, you get charged with manslaughter, vehicular homicide, and manslaughter of a law enforcement officer? I don't condone breaking the speed limit but that is insane ...
I agree also. My feelings are that as soon as you "know" you are being chased you are then at fault for anything that happens if you dont pull over.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Banned
Tommy Vercetti is infamous around these parts
If the cop was in the opposite lane and hit his lights, trust me both racers knew he was coming after them. They figured they had enough of a head start to beat him. I bet that poor sob porsche driver is at home w/ his car in the garage (or the bottom of the nearest lake) freaking out his life is over. I cant imagine the parnoia every time someone comes to the door or calls you at your office. I could not live like that, just turn myself in, get the best lawyer I could afford and get it over with just like Martha did. I mean a cop was killed in the line of duty, this isnt simply gonna blow over in a few weeks. Plus its looks better to turn your self in and say you had no idea the police were chasing you and didnt know anything happened until I saw it on the news. That or head to a non extraditing country or quick trade the car in on a M3.

Or your last resort call the FHP and say you got a glimpse of the P car plate, it said " AMG ETR" and quick hang up from the pay phone. Evan is young and doing 10-15 years wont kill him, he will still be young enough to do something like be a lot porter at Braman when he gets parolled. Plus his young , boyish charm will serve him well while in the state pen.

Last edited by Tommy Vercetti; 11-05-2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Why would the guy possibly turn himself in?

I think you are overestimating the guy's level of guilt.

High speed pursuits endanger the public. How many tragedies involving cops will it take for police departments to figure that out. There are so many other ways to catch people on the run.

Last edited by Hamann7; 11-05-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Banned
Tommy Vercetti is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Hamann7
Why would the guy possibly turn himself in?

I think you are overestimating the guy's level of guilt.
Well perhaps, if the guy was a fricken sociopath I guess it would not bother him. I knew if I killed a guy w/ a family at home waiting for him and he was dead because of my dumb *** childish behavior like street racing, I would feel extremely guilty. I had one close call one night and it was almost a nightmare come true.
I was being messed w/ by a slimy looking guy in a 04 330i w/ NJ plates. He looked like your basic fat , greasy NJ *** head that I cant stand anyway for coming to S Fla for da beach doh!!.
Anyway this einstein was chasing me down I-95 about midnight and I had enough and dusted him badly so I get off on my exit and I see in my rear view he did too. We end up next to each other at the first light and he starts talking sh*t in that obnoxious NJ accent that makes my skin crawl (I am from the deep south) and he just had another whooping in order. So off we go I blow his doors off, a red light is about 100yds ahead and the light is yellow , I jump on the brakes and the light turns red I half except to see him once again pull next to me, nope I get a flash from his xenons in my pass side mirror and he blows the red light at 80 mph easy, never saw it or what, but a ford explorer w/ 3 small child seats holding the kids, was going slowly thru the intersection
this guy would have nailed them right in the driverside rear door and killed them instantly. The 2 cars missed by mere inches. If she was going one mph slower it would have been cut in half.
I sat there shaking because I was 50 % at fault and I would have never got over that. So w/ that being said I have have a very guilty personality I guess.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Porsche Fiend
You would have felt guilty over that? Even though you had stopped for the red?

Tonight some kid in a WRX tried to chase down M5. He got smoked. But if he had crashed his car trying to get me, it would have been his fault, not mine. I never asked him to try to chase me in his ricemobile.

Some stupid kid in a dropped Civic once tried to race me on PCH, the first corner came up and he tried to follow me but instead lost control of his car as it was swapping ends and spun around. Not my fault... I wasn't racing, just doing my thing. Would I feel guilty if he crashed? Nope.

I would have thought, what a stupid *** for thinking that his Civic on cut springs could actually handle a corner...

Why feel guilt for ****ing morons who choose to be reckless?

Last edited by Hamann7; 11-05-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Porsche Fiend
BTW, there was once an incident where a local cop in his crown vic tried to chase down a friend in a GT3 through a canyon road.

Are you telling me the cop made a wise choice? The other cop who was in the car is a friend of mine and a car buff, and let's just say he became a fan of the GT3, and rather angry at his partner... His words, "Your buddy almost killed us, since my partner tried to chase him down and I was hanging on for dear life."

Funny thing was the friend in the GT3 wasn't even trying to run... he didn't even realize he was being chased until traffic hit and he had to slow down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BOLO P-Car driver is a cop killer