996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OEM Seat Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
brn2drive is infamous around these parts
OEM Seat Options

I did a search and couldn't find anything regarding OEM seats.

I'm looking at 996 Turbos and noticed different seat options. What are the different seat options that were available? I've noticed that the "sport seats" seem to wear a little better over time.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
This might be related in a way, but I do recall reading that it's somewhat difficult to swap factory seats and retain all factory functionality (for power, movement, heat, etc.). For someone like myself who has standard seats but wishes I had sport seats, I'd be keen to hear more about this in case anyone has clarification regarding those comments.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 PM
AdamW81 is infamous around these partsAdamW81 is infamous around these parts
The sport seats are lighter by 15-20 lbs each and have the plastic backs (can be painted). The functionality doesn't cross because sport seats are not fully automatic (part of the weight savings). If you have heated seats currently you will have to find sport seats that are also heated for it to work. In general people like the looks of the sport seats more as well and they are more desirable.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AdamW81
The sport seats are lighter by 15-20 lbs each and have the plastic backs (can be painted). The functionality doesn't cross because sport seats are not fully automatic (part of the weight savings). If you have heated seats currently you will have to find sport seats that are also heated for it to work. In general people like the looks of the sport seats more as well and they are more desirable.
Thanks Adam,

In my case the comfort of the stock seats just doesn't seem that great (for me or my wife) but I also cannot say that the sport seat would be any better since I don't know that. I do like the idea of losing weight yet keeping OEM seats though, and I also agree that the sport seats look nicer overall too. I believe I read that the simple power adjusts (and memory features) will not work properly if you attempt to put sport seats in a car normally configured for standard seats, but I don't recall whether or not there was a fix for this.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I swapped out my stock seats for the 997 sport seats. The real difference between the seats is you sit ON the stock seats, you sit IN the sport seats. They really fit around your body. The sport seats have a power reclining back but the other adjustments are manual[higher or lower, forward or back]. The 997 SS are much improved over the 996 SS as far as looks and fit. The 997SS come with a side airbag that does not work in the 996TT, but maybe some electronics wiz could get it to work. I didn't bother. Memory function is absent on the 997SS. I advise you to sit in the seats before buying if you are much over 200 lbs just to be sure it is what you want. It really is a great upgrade.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone had retrofitted the 997 seats, did it take anything special/ custom brackets to get them to work?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
No, they are an exact fit on the stock 996TT rails. I got my seats from a GT3 so I have the Alcantara centers.

Last edited by landjet; 08-04-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Zeroh has a spectacular aura aboutZeroh has a spectacular aura about
Agree the 997 sports seats are a big improvement over the 996 sports seats - do you have heated seats and if so does it work with the 997 seats as per the 996 ?

This is something I would also consider if I could source a reasonably priced set of 997 heated sports seats...

Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
There are two different seats:

1. Standard (these were available with a "supple leather" option that can look old and frayed)
2. Sport (has wider shoulder supports) These came standard on GT3 and GT2 and was optional on the TT.

There is a "GT3" seat which is factory racing seat never offered officially offered in the US, but widely available.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 08-04-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Ari, are you talking OEM 996TT seats, or 997? 997 sport seats have much better bolsters all around compared to the 996 sport seats. Also, 996 sport seat may be a better fit for some larger drivers who want a medium bolstered seat, no offense meant.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Does anyone sell the 997 sport seats? Price? Not listed at sunset or pelican but they don't list everything.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Best place to snag a set is watch the GT3 section for sellers, and the regular for sale section. You have to be quick and ready if the pictures look good. Tell the seller that you want to buy them, get a price, and say done deal if pictures are in order. Or you can be proactive and contact new GT3 owners and ask to buy their seats if they should buy race seats for their car.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm just outlining 996 seat products.

I understand that 997 seats will fit as well.

Originally Posted by landjet
Ari, are you talking OEM 996TT seats, or 997? 997 sport seats have much better bolsters all around compared to the 996 sport seats. Also, 996 sport seat may be a better fit for some larger drivers who want a medium bolstered seat, no offense meant.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by landjet
No, they are an exact fit on the stock 996TT rails. I got my seats from a GT3 so I have the Alcantara centers.
May I trouble you for a pic? I'd love to see your setup.