996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

'04 996tt vs '09 cayman s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:22 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
996tt...

Old 08-08-2009, 03:37 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
Its hard to be content with a cayman after you drive a 996tt. The cayman is a nice car that does what everyone here has mentioned. However, the 996tt stock is a blast to drive, if you only flash it, will be completely diff beast! There is so much more potential with the 996tt. Ultimately you are part of the worst forum to make this kind of decision coz eveyone here seems to have the same disease! wanttogofastipolus, its a commonly found flu like sickness that causes erratic spending on 996tt turbos and modifications, stiffness of the right foot, which hyperextends that foot with enough force to almost put it through the floorboards, gas pedal n all!!
It can be treated with some 104 octane and numerous hours of hard driving. Sorry but 996tt all the way!! You want a cheap track car buy a miata!! lol !!! and get a 996tt for all else!!

Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 PM
diveganesh is infamous around these parts
[quote=say base 04 996tt vs base 09 cayman s. Thanks[/quote]

you might want to look into picking up a well mod'ed 996 TT rather than a base tt...chances are you will want to mod it someday (and as i'm learning, if you hang around here, that day will be soon) and there's value in buying someone else's project.

on the cayman front (since you do like the form), you could find something a little less recent and spend the $$ saved on a turbo mod, which seem to be the rage with the cayman folk.

realise this isn't really answering your question. happy hunting.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
if you don't want to go to jail and loose your license, get the Cayman. If you want to give passengers hair raising experiences that they need to smoke a cigarette after, get the 996tt

Old 08-08-2009, 05:46 PM
car4me is infamous around these parts
thank you for your inputs , 996tt it is.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:23 PM
bagherra is infamous around these parts
I remember test driving a Cayman S. I kept putting the pedal all the way down thinking...is this all it has??? Where's the power?

Still nice car, but the nod goes to 996TT.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM
sc_trojan has a spectacular aura aboutsc_trojan has a spectacular aura about
um..... go to your nearest porsche dealer and drive the two?? If a dealer is too far, then find two cars that are for sale and ask the owners if you can drive them. I really don't understand your question.

don't you know you are asking on a 996tt board? What kind of answer are you expecting since the majority of the people on this board are 996tt owners??

If you went to the caymen club forum, I would expect you get an entirely different answer.

there is no right or wrong, just what you personally prefer for your specific requirements and your specific tastes.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:16 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Let's look at it from a 3rd person perspective...

Wow, is it a turbo?
or
like my daughter said once... it's only a Cayman.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
The specs on the new cayman s pdk is pretty impressive.. but the 996tt is uncomparable and really a different level of power, plus you have a back seat..lol i've had the cayman S the first release it was a very fun car..
I know everyone says if your single or tracking the car get a cayman, but later on you will get a turbo anyways might as well do it now.. dont be crazy like me..hahaha

Old 08-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
What's your intent with the car?

If I were thinking about tracking it, I'd absolutely choose the CaymenS. It's a great platform to learn on. I liken it to the E36 M3 of Porsche. It's great handling, and the new model makes plenty of baseline power, and it's not as heavy as the 996TT.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with something besides the 996TT as a track toy.

Mike

Originally Posted by car4me
what would you pick? i have a hard time deciding between the two. I like the look of the cayman and the trunk, but the 911 just looks ok and much more powerful. Wonder which would win/more fun on the track? say base 04 996tt vs base 09 cayman s. Thanks

Old 08-09-2009, 05:43 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
What's your intent with the car?

If I were thinking about tracking it, I'd absolutely choose the CaymenS. It's a great platform to learn on. I liken it to the E36 M3 of Porsche. It's great handling, and the new model makes plenty of baseline power, and it's not as heavy as the 996TT.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with something besides the 996TT as a track toy.

Mike
I agree with Mike. From my very limited DE events, the Cayman was killer through the corners. The TT would pull it easily on the straight, then after a few corners my mirror was full of Cayman again... They handle very well out of the box... Plus I think there are some turbo options for them... At least some earlier models.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'll further expand on this:

It's cool being the swinging dick lapping everyone in your group, but are you really improving and learning, and if you are, are you learning at as fast a pace as you could be with less power, less distractions?

HP masks a lot of things, and that, to me is where I think a lower HP car would be more enjoyable, not to mention cheaper to run, which also translates to being able to run more events... which means you're learning, even more.

I see at every event guys in much more capable cars (GT3s, GT2s, Turbos, Vettes) getting lapped by more capable drivers in less capable cars. And I'd bet there are guys here in this category that fit that description.

If you want to be the center of attention at a track day event, or at your local starbucks, get the 996TT. If you want to learn to drive and be a better driver for it? Get the CaymenS.

Truth be told, If I could move mine and not take a bath on it, I'd be in a more capable car for my driving skills.

Mike Kelly

Old 08-09-2009, 06:35 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
that is way too funny!! BUT I can see it happening!!! cool lil girl!!! thumbs up to that!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 AM
toppower is infamous around these parts
Mike Kelly......poetry in his words.......

The end!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:39 AM
toppower is infamous around these parts
I love my 996tt but here is the issue.

Street driving you need to wait for the boost which is not fun.

The 996tt really hides your speed well so when you want to have fun in the city it's going to be at dangerous speeds.

On the track, my 996tt feels like a heavy pig but the PSS10's make it way better.

Why don't you try the 997 2S?

It's a better choice and a steal to buy!

"it's everything we know so far" Porsche!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '04 996tt vs '09 cayman s