996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

'04 996tt vs '09 cayman s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Mike, That will be one hell of a track car , especially all that HP in a super light car...Just killer. I really got to learn to drive before even i can think of something that fast.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 AM
toppower is infamous around these parts
A little lag

Car4me

keep in mind that a little turbo lag is still lag. At the track Guys with less Hp 996 GT3s and Caymans spank 996tt all day long. You will need to put aside $10,000 to make 996tt fun to drive. A stock 996tt is boring because it is so refined.

I love my car but are not in denial of what it is. My 996tt is a Bionic Pig!

GL with you hunt.

Originally Posted by Prche951
I think that with K16 good exhaust and a flash, there is very little lag. If you do a K16 hybrid kit again, there is little lag to deal with. These cars produce power very linear. They are not like most turbo cars where power doesn't come on till 4500 rpm. I start boosting at under 2k rpm. When you are on a track, you should never be at 2k-3k rpm anyway, so if you are driving in the correct rpm band, you will not feel any lag.

Having said that Mikelly is right, I think an NA car is a better learning car than a turbo. I have driven both 911 NA and Caymans on short tracks. They are loads of fun. And you don't have to worry about passing a truck on the freeway only to realize your at 130 mph.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 AM
kwerks has a spectacular aura aboutkwerks has a spectacular aura aboutkwerks has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by toppower
Car4me

keep in mind that a little turbo lag is still lag. At the track Guys with less Hp 996 GT3s and Caymans spank 996tt all day long. You will need to put aside $10,000 to make 996tt fun to drive. A stock 996tt is boring because it is so refined.

I love my car but are not in denial of what it is. My 996tt is a Bionic Pig!

GL with you hunt.
OK since your a 996tt owner I won't rip you apart for trash talking my beloved pig but I will adjust your statement to better the truth of the matter.

1. 996tt vs caymans va gt3....all about the drive

2. I'v passed gt3 drivers and caymans all day long with stock 996tt (just exhaust, pads and new metal diverters) its really about the driver.

3. Where this $10k figure comes from is beyond me. For 3k you can get KW V3 + better alignment to destroy just about anything you wish on track. (keeping in mind you figure out how to setup your car's balance...and if your not experienced then buy something other coilover set...) 996tt is an amazing chassis like all porsches so in essense since its a porsche you can't go wrong...unless you want to track a cayenne. for 10K you can buy Penske racing inverted quad shocks and springs and have 5 grand left over. 911 in stock form does a great job of hiding its weight and with an adjustable coilover set (good spring rates) you can forget that weight is an issue. Running in the 2min mark at VIR is possible....what cayman can do that? and if we are bragging in all out how about the 996 tt that ran 1'56' at VIR...pigs fly?

Won't deny caymans are quick and awesome sport cars.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm just a lttle tainted and really PO after having to pay double for any products designed specifically for the 996tt. My PSS10's were literally double that of a identical set I had on my BMW. My Milltek exhaust "oh....your car is a turbo?" 2x the price of a similar system for a NA.

TT=bend over and get ready for the bill

Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 AM
kwerks has a spectacular aura aboutkwerks has a spectacular aura aboutkwerks has a spectacular aura about
I'm just a lttle tainted and really PO after having to pay double for any products designed specifically for the 996tt. My PSS10's were literally double that of a identical set I had on my BMW. My Milltek exhaust "oh....your car is a turbo?" 2x the price of a similar system for a NA.

TT=bend over and get ready for the bill
you are too funny! Once you progress away from "standard aftermarket to motorsport level things the prices are the same for everyone"

Penske, JRZ, etc...are all the same price for everyone only varying in specification to cost ratio.

Plus its not hard to understand why certain sets like PSS10's for m3 are cheaper....ROI, return on investment...they made a billion m3's and expect to sell many sets.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Oh.....$10,000 is a easy spend!

$5000 Exhaust
$5000 PSS10s installed & aligned
$2000 GIAC Flash

Canadian currency $$$

Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future

$5000 Exhaust
$2000 GIAC Flash

Canadian currency $$$
I bought a used exhaust for $950, its a Milltek and its awesome sound and adds power as well. There are always options out there if you are on a budget. I personally would not pay 5 k for an exhaust, i can make my own for much better quality and lesser price.

I also agree , 996tt is not a great platform for tracking, atleast for someone like me trying to learn. I am planning to get an e36 m3 or something like that and make it a dedicated track car, much more fun and peace of mind!

Last edited by vbmw335; 08-10-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 AM

$5000 Exhaust
$2000 GIAC Flash

Canadian currency $$$
  • Canadian $.92 CAN = $1 US
  • PSS10 for 996 TT = $2,685.99 USD
  • Install = $400
  • Alignment (to factory spec or your own, with rolling check and driver add in if specified) = $175
  • Pads = $475
  • Exhaust = the less restrictive the unit is the earlier the turbo are able to spool and respond to gas input. So for this track specific route you should utilize an exhaust that will offer less than factory back pressure or none at all. In this case I'm having a custom straight pipe set built for me that goes from turbo hot side straight out into 3 or 4 inch pipes. I have been quoted $650 for this work from a local fabricator. I also have a fancy after market exhaust with cats for emissions which will run you $3500 but its less impressive on track.
  • CHIP / Flash / Tune = YES and NO ... I know its more power and everyone loves that but its not going to better a new driver in anyway in fact it will make you less aware of what your doing. New Flash to take advantage of the exhaust? Not very necessary as the stock ecu is programmed to achieve best spool based on physically mechanical things so your free flowing exhaust will give you the spool you want without ECU flash. If you are HP hungry then go for it but it will put more stress on the engine without benefit of race craft.
  • Brake fluid change to motul 600 = good idea if your fading on track but I'v been good with factory spec unless I am over 45min on track at one single time. I have motul 600 in my track car and its solid.

That should give you more than enough. (suspension is a detailed topic so lets say pss10's are great from factory spec. because if we get into deep discussion its all based on tires and LBS of aero your running)

Last edited by kwerks; 08-10-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You'll need to do a little more than that to get a 2.00 car at VIR, and this I know about...

With "just" any coil over, you're going to need enough camber to do the trick, and you won't get enough at the shocktower. You'll need the following to get the right suspension geometry that is predictable and reliable lap after lap, in order to build that consistancy:

For the rear:
Rear adjustable Toe links
Lock plates for the toe links
rear dogbones with quality heims/bushings
adjustable rear swaybar with adjustable droplinks
Solid Sub-bushings
Pillowballs
Thrust Bushings (adjustable to clock the camber setting)

For the front:
GT3 Lower control arms
Front adjustable sway bar and drop links
Upper Pillowballs
Thrust bushings (See above)
Front adjustable bumpstops.

This all means nothing without a proper scale and alignment.

Now, I know of ONE GUY who can run 2.00s at VIR in a TT/GT2 and that guy is Matt Callahan (930man here). Without the above list of parts and some MOTONs, I don't see anyone running a 2.00 at VIR full. Matt has cupcar experience, and more laps there than anyone I know that participates on this board, so I'm not trying to stir the pot, but that list, along with the resulting labor would easily hit $10K... And we haven't talked tires or brakes yet.

Mike

Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
You'll need to do a little more than that to get a 2.00 car at VIR, and this I know about...

With "just" any coil over, you're going to need enough camber to do the trick, and you won't get enough at the shocktower. You'll need the following to get the right suspension geometry that is predictable and reliable lap after lap, in order to build that consistancy:

For the rear:
Rear adjustable Toe links
Lock plates for the toe links
rear dogbones with quality heims/bushings
adjustable rear swaybar with adjustable droplinks
Solid Sub-bushings
Pillowballs
Thrust Bushings (adjustable to clock the camber setting)

For the front:
GT3 Lower control arms
Front adjustable sway bar and drop links
Upper Pillowballs
Thrust bushings (See above)
Front adjustable bumpstops.

This all means nothing without a proper scale and alignment.

Now, I know of ONE GUY who can run 2.00s at VIR in a TT/GT2 and that guy is Matt Callahan (930man here). Without the above list of parts and some MOTONs, I don't see anyone running a 2.00 at VIR full. Matt has cupcar experience, and more laps there than anyone I know that participates on this board, so I'm not trying to stir the pot, but that list, along with the resulting labor would easily hit $10K... And we haven't talked tires or brakes yet.

Mike
Mike I was not making a list to blue print a 2m car at VIR. My list was for someone who is new to owning a 996tt, that is what the thread is based on. Don't want to scare any potential 996tt owner away. lol

Last edited by kwerks; 08-10-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Sorry, must have have misread your post when you mentioned a 2.00 run at VIR... I wanted to clarify for anyone reading that simply bolting on some PSS10s or KW V3s won't get you there... I've unfortunately been down this road.

Mike

Old 08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Sorry, must have have misread your post when you mentioned a 2.00 run at VIR... I wanted to clarify for anyone reading that simply bolting on some PSS10s or KW V3s won't get you there... I've unfortunately been down this road.

Mike
All in good sense and thanks for the additional information!

There is actually a local GTR owner who states he ran 2:04 on the full course with just chip and exhaust. I don't know much about them but thats seriously fast! So in such case I'm seriously doubting the honesty of that mark. If it is true thats one heck of a deal then.

Last edited by kwerks; 08-10-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: sorry don't mean to hijack the thread into VIR talk
Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Man I'd have to see that one for myself... I know that when I was set up with 2.0 negative camber in the rear and 1.5 negative camber in the front, zero toe, I was KILLING my MPSCs... The outter edges would cord in less than 6 days and I was slipping and sliding everywhere... Cracking a 2:10 was impossible. Soon as I changed the camber to 2.9 up front and 2.5 in the rear, with the front swaybar set to the softest position, the tires were much happier and the car was faster right out of the box.

Mike

Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Man I'd have to see that one for myself... I know that when I was set up with 2.0 negative camber in the rear and 1.5 negative camber in the front, zero toe, I was KILLING my MPSCs... The outter edges would cord in less than 6 days and I was slipping and sliding everywhere... Cracking a 2:10 was impossible. Soon as I changed the camber to 2.9 up front and 2.5 in the rear, with the front swaybar set to the softest position, the tires were much happier and the car was faster right out of the box.

Mike
If thats where you are then its time. . . for the next step.

Dunlop Racing Slicks Medium Compound

Last edited by kwerks; 08-10-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 PM
aggiegator is infamous around these parts
My brother-in-law recently bought an '08 Cayman S and I have an '03 996TT X50 with some mods. He let me drive his... I had a hard time trying to push the pedal through the floor to find the acceleration. I love the corners, but more often than not, its the right pedal that I get to use the most. No comparison!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '04 996tt vs '09 cayman s