996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

More type 2 overrevs than type 1?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 PM
smdubovsky is infamous around these parts
More type 2 overrevs than type 1?

Hello,
I plugged my older (pro) durametric into my 'new' 2003 996tt today. It claims there are more type 2 overrevs than type 1. How is that even possible? Some of the other data its giving me is suspect so I think it may not be working right. FWIW, The dealer PPI said there were no ovverrevs so another reason to suspect the durametric is acting odd. I've contacted durametric about it.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 AM
drnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to behold
That does seem strange. Let us know what they report back

Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
If the car is flashed you might have not accurate readings about ignition ranges and operating hours...check out after number of ignition range one and range two it says engine operating hour when last range one and two ignitions occured...compare these hours to engine operating hours on next lanes to see if there is a match...If engine operating hours are less than hours when last ignition range one or two occured...there is something wrong...

Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Got an email back from durametric. They say type 1 and 2 are seperate. Its possible to have type 2 w/ no type 1 (the way I understand is that once into the type 2 range, it stops logging them as type 1)

Engine hrs > last overrev so doesn't look like foul play there. Unfortunately the last of EACH came only 1 hr ago (and there are alot). I've owned this car for 4 days and have generally diven it like a grandma (yes, I've goosed it in 2nd/3rd gears for a huge grin). I've been saving it for a track event on the 22nd. I have also been VERY careful to avoid redline since I was told it had zero overrevs. Don't know how, but obviouslly I have bumped it Sat night while w/ a friend but I sure as heck didn't do ALL of them. Funny thing is that I never felt anything. I have 3 other porsches, hold a nasa racing license (SpecE30), and even raced a '99 996 a couple years back, so Im not a complete newb.

Im wondering if its been flashed and has a really high rev limiter... The only way I know to test is slowly accelerate in a lower gear and wait until you bump it. Of course, thats going to log even more overrevs It shows 0.8-0.9 bar which is correct for an X50 (though its VERY hard to watch while driving).

The durametric doesn't show # of flashs. I'll have to take it to a mechanic w/ a PST2/PIWIS for that. Will call today.

Its all pending the outcome of a piwis scan, but Im currently thinking the dealer who did the PPI never plugged a scan tool in. I have the "certified pre-owned inspection checklist" from them, but no scan output. I called and talked to the mechanic who did the work and asked about it and they said "no faults, no overrevs, car is perfect". The only problem they found was the little rubber trim around the 3rd brake light is popping out a little. Visually, they are right. The car is in extremely clean shape.

The only reason I even plugged in my durametric was that it threw a psm/abs fault yesterday and I had seen a oil pressure sensor fail/ok message before (. Its actually logged 11 fault codes among the various ecus. No codes/no overrevs my butt!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Stephen, good luck with this. Hope I get to see it.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks Larry. I need to stop by sometime and pick your brain a little

I can get all the faults fixed under the 90day warranty they gave me (its some sort of massachusets state backed thing so it looks legit.) One is a maf P0102 - looks like that causes the PSM/ABS light so at a minimum I'll get a new maf out of it.

I was looking a little into some of the different tuners rev limits. The ones I found so far are:
GMG GIAC: 7000rpm option
Orton 700: 8000rpm

If the rev limit has set above the type 2 limit, would explain how type 2>type1 if you bump the rev limit (like in an autox.)

Old 08-10-2009, 08:27 AM
jasonfreed is infamous around these parts
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

The number of overrevs is completely overblown by many people.

Type IIs only worry me if, in fact, they were truly mechanical overrevs.

I can log type II just by hitting the limiter because I'm not stock.

Drive the car and enjoy it. Avoid mechaincally induced type IIs (ie: bad downshifts) but I wouldn't worry at all about logging more overrevs testing out the limiter for fear of what will happen when you try to sell the cvar later.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:28 AM
jasonfreed, I agree as long as none of them were bad downshifts (but you can never know)

Im thinking the rev limit must be set really high. There are ~5000 type 2 which is about 14s of time. I just don't know of a way to test w/o causing more but if thats what I have to do thats what I'll do.

Its just that the car was sold as "no faults, no overrevs" and thats not the case. Im not sure I have a legal leg to stand on since I must of caused one Sat. At a minimum Im going to get my mechanic to do a scan, get my money from the PPI back, and get every last tiny thing fixed under warranty at their expense.

Its still a crazy fun car

Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 AM
A mechaincal overrev resulting in that many type IIs would have caused an obvious motor problem by now IMO.

It's an ECU issue. I'd guess the car is chipped with a raised limiter.

It's easy, scan it. Record the number. Redline it in 2nd gear. Re-scan.

If the Type IIs go up, you have your answer.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:24 AM
If I just redline it, I won't need a rescan. It'll be obvious if the limit is over 7000rpm

If its been flashed it does bring up another issue: Why only 0.8 bar? Who would flash an X50 car just to raise the rev limit but not add 1 bar boost? Could be leaky diverters, etc causing the limit though. Now that I think(/know) the motors not bone stock its just more stuff I'll have to dig into. I have some records from POs, but none to show the mods. Maybe I'll log an acceleration run w/ the durametric on the way home w/ rpm, afr, & boost.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:27 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
If the rev limiter was raised, any revs over the original limit will read as an over rev. The limiter will only kick in at the new setting.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by smdubovsky
If I just redline it, I won't need a rescan. It'll be obvious if the limit is over 7000rpm

If its been flashed it does bring up another issue: Why only 0.8 bar? Who would flash an X50 car just to raise the rev limit but not add 1 bar boost? Could be leaky diverters, etc causing the limit though. Now that I think(/know) the motors not bone stock its just more stuff I'll have to dig into. I have some records from POs, but none to show the mods. Maybe I'll log an acceleration run w/ the durametric on the way home w/ rpm, afr, & boost.
Well, my X50 car ran 0.8bar. I'd see 0.9 occasionally - NEVER 1.0 bar.

When I went to have my ECU flashed for K24/18gs, EPL found that I had a soldered on chip from a LONG time ago.