996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is my problem UpSolute's fault?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 09:51 PM
dmilzoff is infamous around these parts
Is my problem UpSolute's fault?

I have had the UpSolute in my car for about 15K miles (19K miles total) and have been very happy. When I first had the dreaded PSM/ABS failure, the chip was reprogrammed. I have tracked the car 6 times since then with minimal problems BUT, at my track event yesterday the PSM/ABS failure returned. When it first occurred, right before the 'esses', PSM shut down and I spun out. It reoccurred 5 more times during the day, mostly when I was up in rpms (6000) or at WOT at lower rpms. Obviously, the place not to experience this is on track.
Question: Is there anything else, eg. worn spark plugs, which would cause the failure. Before I complain to UpSolute I want to know if it is their problem. If this can't be corrected, the chip comes out.
PS. One other time that the failure occurred I decided to continue the run anyway. After I locked up all four wheels at the end of a straight and blinded the car behind me with white smoke, I decided it wasn't worth learning the limits of the car without ABS and PSM this way.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:47 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
David,
I can't speak of the PSM/ABS failure other than I am sorry to hear it. I can say the results of the spark plugs going south has been a sputtering that occurs at full boost. This has been demonstrated on almost all of the "6 Pack" cars. We each changed out the plugs and restored the perfomance.
Keep us posted on your situation. Also, Bill (BCS996TT) may be able to help. He has been deeply involved with Upsolute's development and he has laptop diagnostic abilities. Try PM'ing him.
Regards,
Ken

PS What track were you at?

Old 11-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Ken
I ran Lime Rock yesterday (Sunday). Other than the computer failure which caused me to pit and reset twice each run, the day was great.
I do not get sputtering at full boost but I do have 19K miles. I may be getting missing which is causing the computer to fail.
I do not want to blame UpSolute if it is not their problem, but this is unacceptable.
I will PM Bill.

Old 11-08-2004, 01:14 AM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
I have an Upsolute and at WOT last night my lights both popped on again ... I continued to go but hesitate in the back of mind that my car is going this fast without being at a 100%j ... it did it a bunch awhile ago but went away ... what should I tell my mechanic to look for when I take it in?

Dario

Old 11-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
It is possible that your wastegate is set very close to the MAF limits programmed within the ECU. If you'd like to isolate the problem, lengthen the wastegate rod by about 1/4~1/2 turn of the nut that holds it in place. That should get you far away enough from a MAF limit trigger that occasionally shows up... and if it still comes back, it may be something else, such as a bum MAF, failing ABS sensor... failing wire for the ABS sensor... etc.

Old 11-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by StephenTi
.... lengthen the wastegate rod by about 1/4~1/2 turn of the nut that holds it in place. That should get you far away enough from a MAF limit trigger....
Sorry to HiJack, but how much of a turn gets you a 0.1 Bar variation?

Mike

Old 11-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Banned
Not scientific, especially considering the stock boost gauge, but based on my experience, it's around .1BAR... maybe slightly less.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Blazin Civic is infamous around these parts
By ABS failure are you saying the program is causing a ABS light to go on or actually causing failure to the ABS system in the car? If it is the later that seems to me like something that should really be looked into and fixed ASAP by UpSolute.

Old 11-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by StephenTi
Not scientific, especially considering the stock boost gauge, but based on my experience, it's around .1BAR... maybe slightly less.
Stephen, I was hoping you would answer.

Are you saying 1/4 - 1/2 turn gets approximately 0.1 bar?

Thanks, Mike

Old 11-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Stephen
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to lengthen the wastegate rod. If that doesn't work, I will try to hold the lights on and go directly to the dealer so he can read the codes (per Bill's -BCS996TT- suggestion).

Stephen - If lengthening the rod does helps, should it be returned to stock and then have UpSolute reprogram the chip?

Old 11-08-2004, 10:49 PM
aracerx is infamous around these parts
We have had several cars with this particular issue. Interestingly, MOST have been caused by a failed ABS sensor, of these, a majority have been the right front sensor OR the wiring to it....Chased the tail on altered programing, YES, some are caused by incorrect programing, but fewer that other failures in the cars systems.
When failure occurs, back off and pit the car, the only proper procedure. fortuna favet fortibus (fortune favors the bold) Mark

Old 11-08-2004, 11:04 PM
gneypiks is infamous around these partsgneypiks is infamous around these parts
where is the wastegate rod,clockwise/counterclockwise?tks

Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Banned
To be honest with you, most likely, it isn't the Upsolute. Considering how many people who've never had that issue with the lastest chip, which I believe mine was, dating back to at the earliest last last year.

.1 Bar equals approx 1 turn counter-clock-wise (lengthening rod).

Old 11-09-2004, 05:53 AM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
Call EVO and get the GIAC software before you get hurt! Like I told you before they are light years ahead of everyone else. Have your upsolute software downgraded to what is was before then sell it to someone who will give you their stock ECU in exchange. Then send the stock ECU to EVO/GIAC and be done with it. The pontential costs will be far less than if you wreck your car due to the problems you are having.

Old 11-09-2004, 06:04 AM
Banned
Wow... had no idea I was under such danger of "get'n hurt"... had the Upsolute for a year, totaling 9k miles... street, highspeed runs, traffic, open track days... not one belch or hicup... I must have been one of the lucky ones... oh yeah, I put down 455rwhp and 505rwtq on street gas with Cargraphic exhaust too... go figure...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is my problem UpSolute's fault?