996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

to go catless

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Steve, FVD sells a SPACER that simply bolts between your secondary O2 senors and eliminates the CEL. http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...Extension.html

I would ask GIAC before removing cats.

I suggest you get a new exhaust. Cutting up that EP is a waste.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 08-15-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:12 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by steve harris
thanks guys guess the answere is to stay legal and stop globel warming... guess i'll have to find another cheap way to gain more hp(maybe i'll just drive down hill)
That answer is real easy. Toss them crappy Kevin turbos in favor of something that works much better. If you are addicted to the quick spool go with the Tial A2871 (48 trim). If you can live with a bit less response got with the Tial A3071 (52 trim). Both will give you night and day performance over what you have.

That Euro Pipe is way to nice to hack up for minor gains.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
toppower is infamous around these parts
Good call...

Originally Posted by steve harris
guess i'll just run my 100 cell cats and drive on..... thanks for the info
Enjoy!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:49 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
I have some spare FabSpeed CAT Bypass pipes if you need them....

Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 AM
cybersam69 is infamous around these partscybersam69 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I have some spare FabSpeed CAT Bypass pipes if you need them....
Are these still available?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Sold!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ari
Steve, FVD sells a SPACER that simply bolts between your secondary O2 senors and eliminates the CEL. http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...Extension.html

I would ask GIAC before removing cats.

I suggest you get a new exhaust. Cutting up that EP is a waste.
Anyone try these? Was it successful?

I've got a EP Loud with cat deletes that I"m installing and just getting prepared for the CEL that is likely going to pop up. The other alternative right now is Switzer's economy flash that will cure the CEL from the cat delete pipes, costing $1k + $300 cable. I really like the idea of the extra 60+ HP from the flash, and am not too opposed to paying the $, but I've also got an existing 2.2 year third party warranty that came with the 2002 996tt I bought. Comments here are much appreciated, feel free to PM. Thanks.

Last edited by MikeR397; 06-02-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
The exhaust will void the warranty same as the flash, although you can swap the exhaust I guess.

Why no cat? Same HP with and without cats on your motor

Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ard
The exhaust will void the warranty same as the flash, although you can swap the exhaust I guess.

I'm swapping the exhaust myself, so yes, that was my thinking as far as warranty and the exhaust.

No cats b/c that is how the exhaust came when I bought it used. It will let the turbos spool faster and improve sound likely too, perhaps a small HP gain is possible. Regardless, catless is the boat I am in right now, and I'm just trying to figure out what to do with what I have: (1) Warranty for 2.2 years (2) Catless EP Loud; AND what can I do (3) ECU flash for 60+ HP gain and fix catless CEL issue for $1300 or (4) O2 trick with second sensors like I quoted above for $60 or so that may or may not work. Decisions, decisions.

BTW, anyone know where I can find some cheap/used 70mm dual tips for the EP? I'm willing to trade my 70mm oval tips for the dual ones if anyone is interested.

Last edited by MikeR397; 06-02-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard

Absolutely not true my friend. More up top and faster spool w/ cat delete.
I did a direct comparo before and after. The difference is especially larger when you start going w/ bigger turbos.

The EP w/ cat delete is the best sounding exhaust around, IMO. Lots of people speculating on here....lol at Jay Leno, ask the people who have done it and they will tell you there is a definite performance boost. Ask Todd K. if you want an answer from someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

The only argument against is environmental, and that is a good one if you dd your car. It is unethical to run w/ out cats if you are putting 15-20K a year on your car, IMO. However if you want a weekend warrior/track car and you don't live in the peoples Republic of CA, cat delete is the way to go.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Steve,

You do know that in CA the Police can and will do a sniffer on your exhaust anytime they want...especially if they see flames shooting out. Here in Tx that violates our Constitutional rights all you have to do is pass an OBD hook up and my tuner tunes my car to pass

I personally would not even try to delete cats in CA. One of the reasons I live in a place like Texas is because my car habit would not be possible in CA. I miss the beauty of CA, and may move back someday but the types of cars I will have will have to change.

BTW, my 60 to 130 came down .3 seconds from the cat removal, the difference between winning and losing.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:43 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Absolutely not true my friend. More up top and faster spool w/ cat delete.
I did a direct comparo before and after. The difference is especially larger when you start going w/ bigger turbos.

The EP w/ cat delete is the best sounding exhaust around, IMO. Lots of people speculating on here....lol at Jay Leno, ask the people who have done it and they will tell you there is a definite performance boost. Ask Todd K. if you want an answer from someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

I said "your motor"... meaning his particular example, which I believe is a stock K16 without a flash, and is a tip....

EP2 w/Cat or EP2 Catless, my opinion is the difference will be minimal at best. However I agree we need someone who has tested unflashed K16s with and without.....lets see if 'Someone Who Really Knows' will venture a professional opinion- but it needs to be on a stock motor with stock tuning....and an EP2 with and without cats.

Also be interested to hear if it 'hurts' you elsewhere, especially on his car which is a tip.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:57 PM
When I did a before and after I was running hybrid Gt 28's w/ a k16 hotside, not really a big turbo.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
I said "your motor"... meaning his particular example, which I believe is a stock K16 without a flash, and is a tip....

EP2 w/Cat or EP2 Catless, my opinion is the difference will be minimal at best. However I agree we need someone who has tested unflashed K16s with and without.....lets see if 'Someone Who Really Knows' will venture a professional opinion- but it needs to be on a stock motor with stock tuning....and an EP2 with and without cats.

Also be interested to hear if it 'hurts' you elsewhere, especially on his car which is a tip.

I believe Steve has K16/24 hybrids, GIAC flash and runs race fuel. Catless may give him a bump in power, and may land him a giant fine as well.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Just got off the phone w/ my exhaust builder (a board sponsor who doesn't want his name associated w/ deleting cats...he is in CA)....I told him someone was arguing that deleting cats doesn't increase power...he laughed and said "of course it does."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to go catless