996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

to go catless

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
I believe Steve has K16/24 hybrids, GIAC flash and runs race fuel. Catless may give him a bump in power, and may land him a giant fine as well.
I was replying to Mike who resurrected the thread.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Prche951
I believe Steve has K16/24 hybrids, GIAC flash and runs race fuel. Catless may give him a bump in power, and may land him a giant fine as well.
Actually CA fines for this are usually a fix it ticket and sent to the smog ref to retest. The really big fines are only federally enforced and they affect every single state. The only problem is there is no one enforcing them.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Just got off the phone w/ my exhaust builder (a board sponsor who doesn't want his name associated w/ deleting cats...he is in CA)....I told him someone was arguing that deleting cats doesn't increase power...he laughed and said "of course it does."
Dr, my friend...with all due respect.

Mikes car is a car with stock programming. If you leave that out of the question it is not a complete answer. Ask this builder how the stock DME will be handling timing at 5k rpm as this car is seeing way more air than the design specs for that flash...then say "oh, then we'll delete the cat for more HP"...

As I said to Mike- for his situation, stock program and k16s, ... I suspect that the stock DME is already pretty maxed.

IMHO

But lets get an expert (first hand) opinion.

A

PS Nikolas- no need to worry- the feds are busy with all the immigration enforcement!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
ard,

Switzer will be tuning Mikes car.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Blah... Blah... Blah... Is all I am hearing!!

If you want real power just throw a pair of 3" straight pipes with no cats on if you want BIG power!!

I'll put ANY exhaust against the 3" straight pipes on my car to make the same power it does with them on...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I agree Chris...we know what will happen, as soon as Mike gets the flash he is going to fall in love with the power and want more. These motors are so capable it is a crime to not let them run free.

Fortunately, he lives in a state and close enough to a great tuner/shop that doing so will be pretty easy. Running cats in his case would be like dating a hot chick but not going past first base.

The big question is, will he be upgrading his tranny

BTW, my full 3 inch BBI (oops, I guess I blew Betims' cover) upgraded boost controller and Brockway are being installed and tuned right now, so maybe I can get a shot at the champ

Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I agree Chris...we know what will happen, as soon as Mike gets the flash he is going to fall in love with the power and want more. These motors are so capable it is a crime to not let them run free.

Fortunately, he lives in a state and close enough to a great tuner/shop that doing so will be pretty easy. Running cats in his case would be like dating a hot chick but not going past first base.

The big question is, will he be upgrading his tranny

BTW, my full 3 inch BBI (oops, I guess I blew Betims' cover) upgraded boost controller and Brockway are being installed and tuned right now, so maybe I can get a shot at the champ
You finally get the new version of the ProfecB or did you go another route? I have had that and the HKS EVC VI, and I really prefer the EVC VI. Though right now it's better looking because my HKS Knock Amp looks just like it so I gotta keep it pimpin ya know!

Let me know when she is all done. Summer is robbing our cars of power due to the heat, so we just have to count down till it finally gets cold here again to show the big power again! Though I still did make 840rwhp the other day so I know the motor hasn't given out yet

When you get everything buttoned up, we will get all the boys together and do some freeway runs. I'd love to see how I do against Rob (basically how many cars he's going to put on me LOL!!!). I'm suppose to race LMR's 1000rwhp 2010 Camaro soon so that will be a fun one also.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:57 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
I am running cat less and i really like it, the sound is ok the only inconvenient sometimes is the smell of gases.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
The catless EP Loud is on, finished installation myself last night. The CEL is NOT on and it runs great! I did only run for about 10 minutes b/c the right rear tire is down the chords on the inside, but no CEL, and I definately noticed an improvement in power and turbo spool.

As for sound, o yes, it is great! So much more gurgling and throatiness compared to stock. WOT is indeed intoxicating with windows down. Definately turns heads . Cold engine start in the garage almost made my dad spill his beer . I will admit you can definately catch a wiff of the gas smell occasionally, but nothing too bad.

To the "more power more power" gear heads here, I'm looking into doing a ECU flash with Switzer with is economy flash. I was planning on having to do it partly to fix the CEL from cat deletes, but since I don't need it for that reason, I'm going to spend a little more time researching (what it does, how it works, how it affects the rest of my car AND how it affects my warranty, if you can flash back to stock, can I do it myself, ect) and appreciating what I have now. I enjoy getting used to a lower level of power, then experiencing the bumps with each new mod, rather than just blasting to the top. We'll see how many days I can hold out . As I mentioned, my car is a TIP (again, I'm 6'6'' and don't have room to use the clutch in nearly any exotic), but I really do like the tip other than the power restrictions it imposees over manual. At least the 2002 got a stronger TIP than in the other 911's engineered for just for the turbo (I am pretty sure of this)...anyway, this is better in the "tip vs manual thread."

So, I'm happy I did the installation myself, and everything worked out well and I learned a lot about the car doing it. Time to go do a cold start .

Last edited by MikeR397; 06-05-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Good to hear, Mike, I hope that my new BBI full 3 inch sounds as good.

Get the flash and after you get used to the increased power, I would do Switzers' Billet 16 turbos.

Chris, going with the Profec B.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
My catless EP has been on for just about a month and I finally got the CEL the other day, as promised. The car is not in limp mode, and drives just the same, just get the CEL warning "drive car to shop" message at startup. Looks like I'll just have to get that Switzer flash done this upcoming week to take care of the O2 sensors and a little extra fun in the process .

Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeR397
My catless EP has been on for just about a month and I finally got the CEL the other day, as promised. The car is not in limp mode, and drives just the same, just get the CEL warning "drive car to shop" message at startup. Looks like I'll just have to get that Switzer flash done this upcoming week to take care of the O2 sensors and a little extra fun in the process .
After you will flash the car you will be like this I promise you!