996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Driving Techniques for a 911 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Bankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these parts
Driving Techniques for a 911 Turbo?

With the weird awd distribution of the 911 turbo(I believe its 85 rear 15 front?), and an auto x/track event coming up possibly in the near future, I was wondering if any of you 6 speeders could shed some light on how to properly drive a 911 Turbo on the track? Thanks.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I have heard people said... go in slow, come out fast.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:55 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
first AFAIK, the typical distribution of power is 95 rear 5 front...as conditions change (PSM) it will go as far as 60 rear 40 front. How you drive depends on tire pressures, alignment, track conditions, etc. Do you have stock suspension? I believe the stock configuration tends to understeer. Of course this is why you take it to the track....to get a feel for how the car handles. If I were you I would simply take it easy the first time out...test some of the limits in a safe environment (not with a bunch of other cars around).

Old 08-19-2009, 01:32 PM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
I think its more like 35/65 front/rear weight distribution.
Go easy on the throttle while exiting tight corners.
Be smooth. Take the time to learn the track first before attacking it.
Talk to other 911 guys that have experience on that particular track.
You may even want to go out as a passenger first to really see how it is done properly.
I have done many DE's and still have much to learn
There is no substitute for track time and experience behind the wheel at track speeds.

Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlueFVD-575
I think its more like 35/65 front/rear weight distribution.
The debate was about power not weight

Old 08-19-2009, 02:07 PM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
I stand corrected, my bad.
Originally Posted by wross996TT
The debate was about power not weight

Old 08-19-2009, 03:10 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Out of slow turns don't get on the gas to abruptly, just feed it smooth (still fast), but if you do abrubt you'll lift the front wheels enough to push a lot. Once you're ON the throttle never let go, the car comes around ok if you just wait. Line may not be perfect but still decently fast.

Like someone said, slow in, nail the line, and then fast out. High revs needed on the turbo on AutoX since straights are too short for turbos to spool up if you're in low rev ranges. As you get skilled you can improve corner entry speeds but normally for rookies this means blown apexes and lots of understeer which is pretty boring and bad for your front tires. So slow in, turn the car and punch it out.

Neutral throttle and very very small adjustments on throttle through s-/slalom sections, just steer it. Have fun and good luck!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Bankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these parts
first AFAIK, the typical distribution of power is 95 rear 5 front...as conditions change (PSM) it will go as far as 60 rear 40 front. How you drive depends on tire pressures, alignment, track conditions, etc. Do you have stock suspension? I believe the stock configuration tends to understeer. Of course this is why you take it to the track....to get a feel for how the car handles. If I were you I would simply take it easy the first time out...test some of the limits in a safe environment (not with a bunch of other cars around).
Yeap I do have the stock suspension....so I track/drive with PSM on?

Originally Posted by MrWhite
Out of slow turns don't get on the gas to abruptly, just feed it smooth (still fast), but if you do abrubt you'll lift the front wheels enough to push a lot. Once you're ON the throttle never let go, the car comes around ok if you just wait. Line may not be perfect but still decently fast.

Like someone said, slow in, nail the line, and then fast out. High revs needed on the turbo on AutoX since straights are too short for turbos to spool up if you're in low rev ranges. As you get skilled you can improve corner entry speeds but normally for rookies this means blown apexes and lots of understeer which is pretty boring and bad for your front tires. So slow in, turn the car and punch it out.

Neutral throttle and very very small adjustments on throttle through s-/slalom sections, just steer it. Have fun and good luck!
The only thing I'm worried about is when I exit and I punch it, I'm just scared that my rear end will get loose...well I've never driven an awd car before only RWD...if I stay on the throttle will it correct itself?

THANK YOU to everyone who responded above!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bankai
Yeap I do have the stock suspension....so I track/drive with PSM on?
I would recommend you use it when other cars are around....if you get a chance to turn it off when you have some room you will be surprised how well PSM works. Keep in mind I am talking about novice track driving so don't flame me.

Originally Posted by Bankai
The only thing I'm worried about is when I exit and I punch it, I'm just scared that my rear end will get loose...well I've never driven an awd car before only RWD...if I stay on the throttle will it correct itself?
Again you need to get some time on the track. It is quite amazing how well the car responds to throttle. You will find it difficult to oversteer...so punch it as others have said.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 PM
stevengerard is infamous around these parts
Also if you are new and the track allows for it, don't worry about shifting, concentrate on your lines and smoothness of entry and exit. Last track event I was at I left it in third the whole time

Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 PM
killerbee is infamous around these parts
If you are not a member already, join PCA and then find the local chapter. Sign up for a track day and get some instruction. All the forum responses are not going to help in the least and there is no substitute for a knowledgeable instructor.

It will be a good experience and you will learn more this way than any other.

Have Fun

Old 08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
I would recommend you use it when other cars are around....if you get a chance to turn it off when you have some room you will be surprised how well PSM works. Keep in mind I am talking about novice track driving so don't flame me.

Again you need to get some time on the track. It is quite amazing how well the car responds to throttle. You will find it difficult to oversteer...so punch it as others have said.
Roger that! Thx!

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Also if you are new and the track allows for it, don't worry about shifting, concentrate on your lines and smoothness of entry and exit. Last track event I was at I left it in third the whole time
Ok!

Originally Posted by killerbee
If you are not a member already, join PCA and then find the local chapter. Sign up for a track day and get some instruction. All the forum responses are not going to help in the least and there is no substitute for a knowledgeable instructor.

It will be a good experience and you will learn more this way than any other.

Have Fun
Haha, I'll do that one day...