996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Misfires Fixed - Avoid Denso Iridium (IK20) Spark Plugs (pic)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:26 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I was actually getting a few misfires while I was completely stock (just barely enough to notice, but it was there). So these plugs need gapped not matter what...

Old 12-25-2009, 09:29 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by winnigt2
If you change plugs don`t hurry. Especially if you do it at first time.

Two possible ways:

First time and no experience: Remove the rear bumper and the IC and lower the engine.
Check your coil packs and renew the plugs...

experienced can do: only lower the engine and use good tools

You can make many little mistakes...and the result is that a very good Denso IK fails......and you must do it again

For shure a plug change on a 996 engine is not easy DIY

Excuse my english knowledge

A good christmas time.....with spark plugs

Doing plugs without taking the bumper off?? I call BS!!

I'd like to see a video of that. It's like changing a flat wihout raising a car...good luck

Old 12-26-2009, 04:54 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adam699

I'd like to see a video of that. It's like changing a flat wihout raising a car...good luck
+1 lol

If it could be done, and I am not saying it can, you would probably want to commit suicide afterward!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:58 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute

why so many have misfire after changing the sparkplugs? Is that wy this job is done correct?

Last edited by winnigt2; 12-26-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:54 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
why so many have misfire after changing the sparkplugs? Is that wy this job is done correct?

There were 2 reasons for the misfires.

1. I gapped the spark plugs wrong since I thought they came pregapped.

2. Two of the ignition coils I got were faulty.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:32 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
There were 2 reasons for the misfires.

1. I gapped the spark plugs wrong since I thought they came pregapped.

2. Two of the ignition coils I got were faulty.
I agree with you that this could be to possilbe reasons for misfire but it can be much more.

The more often reason for misfire after sparkplug change is a hair-crack in the porcelain of the spark..

Symtoms: under boost you get misfire, without boost engine runs....if you have a broken porcelain you will get more constant misfire

If you hurry at this job, it could be possible you bent the spark plug with the tools.

This is wy I say dont`t hurry at this job, take your time. Make space around the sparkplug area. (Bumper, IC) This takes only a little time.

I tested many brands of sparks and I never had a misfire with a beru,bosch,ngk,denso. Of corse it have different designs of electrode,material(platin,iridium,copper,silver) and one of these could work a little better...but it works without misfire.

I only like to give a possible failure not more......and if you have misfire before you change your plugs ....you have to check more and have more possible failures to check

Old 12-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I agree with you that this could be to possilbe reasons for misfire but it can be much more.

The more often reason for misfire after sparkplug change is a hair-crack in the porcelain of the spark..

Symtoms: under boost you get misfire, without boost engine runs....if you have a broken porcelain you will get more constant misfire

If you hurry at this job, it could be possible you bent the spark plug with the tools.

This is wy I say dont`t hurry at this job, take your time. Make space around the sparkplug area. (Bumper, IC) This takes only a little time.

I tested many brands of sparks and I never had a misfire with a beru,bosch,ngk,denso. Of corse it have different designs of electrode,material(platin,iridium,copper,silver) and one of these could work a little better...but it works without misfire.

I only like to give a possible failure not more......and if you have misfire before you change your plugs ....you have to check more and have more possible failures to check
I don't think rushing the job was the problem... First time took forever and was bad plugs / incorrect gap, etc.

I had it down to 2.5 hours and that was not rushing, it was just being prepared and knowing every bolt that needed to be removed and how everything was put together, etc... Plus that round fixed the problems...

I know what you are saying, but that is totally not the case... I was very careful and meticulous about everything I did. I just assumed the plugs were made for this car since they listed it as a fit... But I guess they may work if they are gapped differently then they came...

Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by raineycd
I don't think rushing the job was the problem... First time took forever and was bad plugs / incorrect gap, etc.

I had it down to 2.5 hours and that was not rushing, it was just being prepared and knowing every bolt that needed to be removed and how everything was put together, etc... Plus that round fixed the problems...

I know what you are saying, but that is totally not the case... I was very careful and meticulous about everything I did. I just assumed the plugs were made for this car since they listed it as a fit... But I guess they may work if they are gapped differently then they came...
i understand.....do you have a special tool used to adjust the gap? if you don`t have it avialable you can produce a failure on the electrode side (porcelain ...on electrode side)

if the coils have rust on the ironcore.... it could be a failure source....

again i dont like to give you a advice i only like to help so i can....

Old 12-27-2009, 08:56 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I don't have anywhere near the experience of JustinN but I do have enough to know that NGK is the best and most affordable brand hands down. From the $2 copper plugs ran in my old Honda to the same ones in my Supra that made way more power. NGK has never let me down.

After playing with my AEM on my Supra and running great around 850whp it was having some kind of electrical issue which we traced back to running NGK plugs of the NON-RESISTOR type which was causing too much electrical interference. I switched to NGK IRIDIUM plugs out of neccessity as they were the only resistor style plug that was in a 9 heat range (colder plug). Those dam things lasted forever on pump gas and race gas.

So when I did the plugs on my Porsche, I used the NGK iridiums in the stock heat range and I think the stock gap was .3 or .32 so I didn't bother gapping them but it certainly is possible just be careful. I'm using the same K16 EPL flash with no issues or misfires. I'm going to some GT28's soon and I'll probably end of swapping the plugs for one heat range colder of the same NGK Iridiums just to be on the safe side.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 AM
ClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura aboutClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura about
Denso's are a very good plug and have shown to give a hp increase over standard copper. The one problem with the plug is they are fragile. The tip won't take any detonation, it will shatter. A lot of Ford Lightning guys run this plug and experience the same problem. A couple ticks of detonation and you're replacing plugs.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:31 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
I'll probably end of swapping the plugs for one heat range colder of the same NGK Iridiums just to be on the safe side.
Both my car and Powell's car are running NGK Iridium one heat range colder than stock. I have at least 6k miles on my plugs without so much as one plug misfire.

Tony at EPL had no problems tuning Powell's car initially on the NGK 7s, and I haven't had a problem on his, or mine with the VPRO installed. Same plugs

Justin

Old 12-27-2009, 01:00 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
I prefer the flux capacitor deluxes for my pre-igniter,the double back whoosh bite is incredible.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
Both my car and Powell's car are running NGK Iridium one heat range colder than stock. I have at least 6k miles on my plugs without so much as one plug misfire.

Tony at EPL had no problems tuning Powell's car initially on the NGK 7s, and I haven't had a problem on his, or mine with the VPRO installed. Same plugs

Justin
Justin are you guys running the BKR7EIX straight out of the box (.032" gap)? (after checking them of course)

Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
I prefer the flux capacitor deluxes for my pre-igniter,the double back whoosh bite is incredible.
Must be a Texas only part...

Old 12-27-2009, 01:22 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
Justin are you guys running the BKR7EIX straight out of the box (.032" gap)? (after checking them of course)

I pinch mine down to .025.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Misfires Fixed - Avoid Denso Iridium (IK20) Spark Plugs (pic)