996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New to Bay Area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:24 PM
85RUFHAUS is infamous around these parts
New to Bay Area

Hi 6speeders!

New to the west coast and and to the bay area...was wondering if someone could give me a hand on some secret details shops, mechs, and
painters.

1. Need a detail very badly but new to area so cant just trust anyone. Is there a place in the bay area or new bay area that is hands down the best? Like Phil @ detailer's domain on the east coast but who represents the west?
2. Any trusted mechanics who are very well known in the porsche community and is very conscientious of their work. They treat cars like
it's their own? anyone like that out here? Obviously very knowledgeable too! Or do dealers here do a good job taking care of their customers on the west? I dunno just thought i'd put the latter out there though cant be different.
3. Any well respected body painters known my the porsche community and do like factory work/results? We have Patarek Bros and the CT shop (dont remember name)...anyone here on the west that is just as good or even better?

thank you all so much for any assistance you can provide!

Jim

Old 08-22-2009, 06:54 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Alex at Sharkwerks is there in the bay area, so you're quite lucky to have such a great shop locally. PM him on here if you need anything. Maybe he can chime in and give you some references for a good detail shop.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:04 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
SharkWerks uses the same detailer all the time, I saw him a couple of times but forgot his name. For painter touch up, Louis in the area is quite good (www.lmcartochup.com). SharkWerks does my performance stuff; for maintenance stuff, I use The Rennshop in Santa Clara.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:30 PM
whoa...the mobile paint touch up guy? NO WAY! he's that good even though he's mobile? That's amazing...i guess he doesnt take the bumper off to repaint it but should you to make sure no spots are missed? Is he the way to go for complete painting of the bumper and even maybe my wing that goes up/down? I have a chip in it...but my fear is that he doesnt know how to remove parts and then reassemble.
Sorry for being a pessimist. Does sharpwerk not do maintenance stuff too it's only geared for performance? thanks a bunch!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:34 PM
wait...i hope LM uses glasurit paint as well. I'm he knows if he's that good.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Sharkwerks fro performance.. service rennshop s good, for dealership

Brian at Carlsen... for detail Bob from Auto Concierge

Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks!

Thanks, I'll use Brian at Carlsen...but no one knows of another maintenance shop besides rennshop which is far away from me..I'm in SF.
So from SF to Santa Carla...there is no one else? If not then I will have to go down south. BTW, can anyone recommend any other painters besides LM? Or you guys swear by him and I shouldnt look elsewhere?

many thanks!

Jim

Old 08-23-2009, 12:55 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
if ya wanna drive to san rafael chek out s cargo (rob) if you drivin an 89 or so as pictured he will be a great help....

Old 08-23-2009, 03:49 PM
earlymidlifecri is infamous around these parts
i go to Tony Heyer of Heyer Performance in Mountain View, a little better than Santa Clara. There is another guy in Daly City, I think, but I have forgotten his name.

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Wow, no good porsche mechanics for every day maintenance in SF? I'm shocked. I wonder why SF does have it's own Porsche dealership either...strange.

Anyone recommend any paint/body shops who are superb?

Thanks again,
Jim

Old 08-23-2009, 08:34 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
I am in the city and I use Jimmy @ Junipero Serra Auto in Daly City. He knows Porsches well and just works on Porsche and Benz. Nice clean shop and he is RUF trained.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 PM
996flyer has a spectacular aura about996flyer has a spectacular aura about996flyer has a spectacular aura about
BR racing for for maintence but they are in los gatos
brrperformance.com

Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 PM
996flyer has a spectacular aura about996flyer has a spectacular aura about996flyer has a spectacular aura about
BR racing for maintence but they are in los gatos
brrperformance.com

Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Jim,

I notice yuo have what appears to be a Ruf BTR. You might want to consider that this particular sub-forum is dedicated to the water pumper turbos. A very different animal in terms of keeping them running well. I don't think the 930 forum here gets that much active traffic.

In the City; you might contact The Stable. They have been around a very long time and even do good work on early 911s. S Car Go is good, but very pricey. There are other shops, but you have to be very careful.

I can tell you ABSOLUTELY, do NOT take your car to any of the bay area Porsche dealers. In fact, most Porsche dealers stopped doing decent work on older Porsches quite some time ago. They don't do training on the older cars and don't really care. I have seen some terribly inept work on 930s from dealerships. The 930s, and of course, Ruf cars, are unique animals and you need someone who understands them. Unfortunately, the dealers do not. If you were in SCal I would send you to my brother. He is an independent and has a few BTR customers. But that is... rather... far. On my 930, I either do my work myself or if it is something major drive/ship to my brother.
Good luck.
John Rice

Old 08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by john rice
Jim,

I notice yuo have what appears to be a Ruf BTR. You might want to consider that this particular sub-forum is dedicated to the water pumper turbos. A very different animal in terms of keeping them running well. I don't think the 930 forum here gets that much active traffic.
I don't think he mentioned it here in this thread, but through a pm he told me that he has a 996TT, so I think he has both. Honestly I think we should all be that lucky to have a 996TT AND a Ruf BTR

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to Bay Area