996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Time for a Full Boost Containment Kit.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Time for a Full Boost Containment Kit.

Hi all. I just blew some sort of boost fitting or boost hose,
and it cost me two races. The shop won't know exactly
what's wrong till Monday...

I'm running high boost now, and I guess the EVO hose kit,
F-hose and diverter valves I'm running is not the full solution.
Does anyone have a full list of every boost-carrying part/hose
and/or clamp/fastener? I'd like to deal with this issue once and
for all, with appropriate t-bolt clamps, aero-quality hydraulic
wire-embedded hoses etc.
Joe

Last edited by Joe Weinstein; 08-23-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Here's what it was: The hose from the intercooler to the
Y-pipe/plenum blew off at the Y-pipe end. (lefthand side). The
technician said that the Evo clip for holding the hose onto the
stock Porsche intake was not exactly correctly shaped, so it
didn't fit well into the groove of the intake. He did some work to
get it shaped well enough to fit into that groove. They tested
and tightened as many fittings as they could conveniently reach,
and all others including the same intercooler fitting on the other
side seemed fine. They smoke-tested (I didn't ask to what psi)
and found no leaks.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
What boost are you running now?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Depending on what gas I run, up to 1.4-1.5

Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
One connection that is easy to secure is the hose from the compressor to the intercooler. The intercooler connection has a little shoulder (maybe 1.5-2.0 mm)that goes in flush with the intercooler inlet. You can encircle that flange first from the right side and then from the left with 0.41 safety wire. Use twist pliers and get a long run of twisted wire and after snugging it to the flange, run the twist all the way up to the lower brace for the intercooler and loop around it and secure. Take another piece of wire and go circumfrentially around the intercooler inlet an inch or so up and wrap and secure the 2 vertical twists you've already done. Snug that up and you should be pretty secure at that connection. At the compressor outlet, there is room for 2 clamps if you get the right width.

I've never had the Y-pipe issue and never studied a way to make that connection more secure. Perhaps you could weld some little "****" with small through holes on either side of the Y-pipe just above the connection and do much the same as I described above. That's just a first-blush idea. I've never studied the area closely enough to know for sure it would be feasible.