996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

brake pad recommendation for 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 AM
horsepower1 is infamous around these parts
brake pad recommendation for 911 Turbo

Getting ready to change pads on my 2002 Turbo.

shopping around, looking for input. Anyone use Mintex?

Anyone re-use rotors and just swap in new pads?

thanks
brian

Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
OEM pads are fine for street use. Others will no doubt tell you their favorite brand. I strongly recommend staying with a street pad, rather than a race compound. Street pads are qquieter, make less dust, and stop better when cold than race pads do.

No reason to change rotors unless they are out of spec (cracks > 7mm in length, or less than minimum thickness). I'm not positive about the minimum thickness - 32mm? - someone else will chime in I am sure. I track my car, so it's always the cracks that make me replace mine.

Do not get talked into turning the rotors when replacing pads. Go out on a back road and do several sets of 85-->50 mph in succession, then drive a while to cool the rotors. That's all that is needed.

Jon

Old 08-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
If the rotors are in good shape and not out of spec they should be fine. For street use Pagid makes a nice sport pad that works well. The OEM pads are good also. I have used both pads and they both work fine, see which ones you find the best price on and go with them.

If you plan on tracking pagid yellows are the way to go.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:49 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have EBC reds (street and low end DE pad....). Did fine at VIR in Green ..SRF fluid. No fade at all. And we were moving fast (about 70% of Matt's speed...). 140 to 165 on the straights..perhaps one 170....mostly 150's. At the time, it was all I could swallow with the turn coming up coming off the oak tree...

I plan to move to EBC yellow. More dust...a bit more of a low end solo pad. I have been told Pagid makes the best track pads but that they are horrendous day to day (noise). The EBC's have no noise (red) at all. They have been nice to the rotors.

Jeff

Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 PM
ABCar is infamous around these parts
Anyone tried the pads from paul weston? He sells a variety of brands including a ceramic compound that I used on my Cayman S (with standard brakes). They dusted less and seemed to work quite well.