996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

X73 vs. PSS10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:20 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, also what other components did you add to the Coil Overs?
Robert

Old 09-04-2009, 04:24 PM
turbobob is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ABCar
Thanks Ralph...Is it just the springs and dampers that differentiate the standard susp vs. the X73 or are there other components?
I will probalbly go PSS anyways...do you mind me asking what it cost in parts and labor?
I think you were invited to Gingerman on Sept. 17th where a group of 6 Speeders will be playing. I will be there and be happy to show you the X73 set up on my car.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
Thanks, also what other components did you add to the Coil Overs?
Robert
only what the kit came with, nothing more.

I have mine set on 5 and it is quite stiff, but not brutal.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:46 PM
ABCar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by turbobob
I think you were invited to Gingerman on Sept. 17th where a group of 6 Speeders will be playing. I will be there and be happy to show you the X73 set up on my car.
Thks turbo bob.
I have the 17th on my calender to show up. We can talk then...
AB

Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
With PSS10 you can corner balance but you can also end up with too much camber and toe in the rear if you set them too low. Consider adjustable upper rear control arms, toe steer arms and adjustable drop links. The additional labor is minimal if you're going replace the stock struts with PSS10's and have it aligned anyway.

I wonder what you mean by too low? I was hoping to keep it simple with just the 10's...do you have numbers?

Old 09-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by porscheralph
I understand the major differences are that the X-73 is not height adjustable and not adjustable for firmness (the 1 -10 on the PSS10). I debated this for several weeks before I decided on the PSS10's - I am very happy with the result - lowered about 1.25 inches and the front set at 7, rear set at 10. The up side of the X-73 is that it is a Porsche part. If possible you should try to drive both and then decide.
OEM Porsche part shocks are Bilstein as well.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
With PSS10 you can corner balance but you can also end up with too much camber and toe in the rear if you set them too low. Consider adjustable upper rear control arms, toe steer arms and adjustable drop links. The additional labor is minimal if you're going replace the stock struts with PSS10's and have it aligned anyway.

this is true only if you go well below GT2 ride height. The angles are all perfect on my car at GT2 height. If I go a little lower, I don't think I will have issues, but if I bottom out, then probably, but that is about another 20mm or so, and I probably could not get the car into a driveway if it was that low.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:28 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I asked a local guy here in H town and they said it could not be done (set to GT 2 height)?? Now I am confused.
Robert

Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 PM
I asked a local guy here in H town and they said it could not be done (set to GT 2 height)?? Now I am confused.
Robert
I wonder why some people have issues with pss9 bumpstops and others can slam their car with pss9's and not have a problem. Mikelly for example. You are being told that pss10's can't go to gt2 height and mine are there plus/minus1-2mm and I can go another 20mm below that, but not sure if there will be other problems. I was told by my indi that it is usually install problems or not a complete kit with certain links that come with the 10's. But I don't know for sure.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by VEGAS BAIL
i have had the pss10 for a bit now and i cant figure out what the clicking noise is when i am turning at a low low speed, i have been told that it is normal but to be honest, it doesnt sound normal.... any ideas
Chances are that your installer did not reuse the Porsche OEM thrust washers that allow the front struts to rotate as the front wheels are turned. Without these, the springs will bind a bit as they are forced to rotate, then release. The front suspension makes a "pong" sound as the springs release. It is very noticeable at slow speeds.

The installation instructions that came with my PSS9's were not very clear about which Porsche parts were to be reinstalled with the new parts. This is an easy mistake to make if you've never installed the coil overs before. However, it's easily fixed, but will require a fresh alignment and corner balance after the thrust washers are installed.

Cheers,

Old 09-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Probs like that can really drive you crazy, especially if you do not have a tech that knows the finer points of installation of a suspension. Thanks fred!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
I wonder why some people have issues with pss9 bumpstops and others can slam their car with pss9's and not have a problem. Mikelly for example. You are being told that pss10's can't go to gt2 height and mine are there plus/minus1-2mm and I can go another 20mm below that, but not sure if there will be other problems. I was told by my indi that it is usually install problems or not a complete kit with certain links that come with the 10's. But I don't know for sure.

where did you get your kit from? who put your coils on?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
where did you get your kit from? who put your coils on?

vivid sold me the kit, which included replacement components in addition to the coil overs and two very experienced mechanics installed them. One was a 25 year porsche mechanic with an engineering degree and the other is a young porsche mechanic genius and is on this forum. A little overkill, but done right.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by last911
Chances are that your installer did not reuse the Porsche OEM thrust washers that allow the front struts to rotate as the front wheels are turned. Without these, the springs will bind a bit as they are forced to rotate, then release. The front suspension makes a "pong" sound as the springs release. It is very noticeable at slow speeds.

The installation instructions that came with my PSS9's were not very clear about which Porsche parts were to be reinstalled with the new parts. This is an easy mistake to make if you've never installed the coil overs before. However, it's easily fixed, but will require a fresh alignment and corner balance after the thrust washers are installed.

Cheers,
Which thrust washers do you refer 2? Photo? My garage reused everything there was plus fitted new top rubber bearings and I still get the pong sound occasionally when parking, I was told nothing to worry about. .

Old 09-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Robert
Rubish. Mine are set dead on GT2 height, and I have never hit a bump stop. The coilover adjustment is just under half-way and I could lower the car for another 25mm, easy - then I guess one could run into issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X73 vs. PSS10 upgrade