996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How my spouse ruined my driveway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 996garage
Purely by coincidence I had my contractor out this whole week to do some additional paver stone work on the side of the house. He'll be removing the stained stones and putting new ones in tomorrow, so it shouldn't cost me too much extra.

He said he could try chemically treating the stones and then power washing them, but since he's already there building a path from the driveway to the side of the house, he might as well just put new stones in to replace the stained ones.

I couldn't flip the stones because there's a slightly rounded ridge on the top side of each stone.
I bet you'd get 10% off or more just for telling him the reason why you need that driveway work to be done.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Back in the day I sold my winter beater, a sweet 1985 chevette to my cousin, told him the car runs perfect, which it did you just had to check the oil every now and then and add accordingly. Sounds simple right. I get a call a couple of months later and he says the cars making this weird loud clacking sound and it has trouble staying running also the oil light is on. But he says the oil level is full on the dipstick and can I come over. He proceeds to open the hood and show me the dipstick and he was right it was full, only problem it was the automatic transmission fluid dipstick. He never made that mistake again, but the chevette didn't last much longer(I miss those days)

Old 09-02-2009, 12:14 AM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
^Those darn dipsticks...why do they have to have TWO of them? LOL.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:23 AM
BGolden is infamous around these parts
If anyone ever spills oil on the driveway soak it up w/ oil dry. Then go to the laundry room get the laundry detergent (granulated kind, not liquid) pour it over the spot and rub it in w/ your foot. Let it sit a day or two and wash it off. Guaranteed to pull up the oil. 100% of the time it works all the time.

I found this out after dragging a few cars home w/ broken motors leaking oil. Because I like to build and tune my own motors and I also like a lot of boost. Mistakes happen and are costly, but its fun.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Bump for update and if any more lulz to be had.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 AM
996garage is infamous around these parts996garage is infamous around these parts
Fortunately for me, it only cost me around $125 to remove and replace the paver stones from the two puddles of oil on the driveway.

I did not bother replacing all the stones where the trail of oil tracked from the top of the driveway down to the street, as it was thin enough that I could live with it.

However last week she did just back the Audi A6 into a parking lot stucco wall and caused some damage. Not sure how that happened since the car has parking assist.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
what, i would have gone crazy....but its not that bad, she didnt burn out the engine on the car....4000 engine...

Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
However last week she did just back the Audi A6 into a parking lot stucco wall and caused some damage. Not sure how that happened since the car has parking assist. [/quote]

You think that is bad. I bought my wife an Acura MDX with Nav. and she still gets lost.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
Back in the day ... new wife with young kids went to the Zoo on a hot summer day. As she backs out of the parking spot she notices a big pool of oil on the ground from where the car was just parked. I also believe the "check oil/engine" light is on (~1992 Mazda 626 ES with about 55k miles.)

I later learned that the oil pressure sending unit was blown out. So she "thinks" the best thing to do is drive the car to me some 17 miles away, because I'll know what to "do".

I couldn't believe that motor survived the trip on a 90 degree day, driven across town.

Amazingly, I was able to put oil in that car and run it for the rest of it's life with us. I owe it all to Castrol Syntec. I sincerely believe that oil was the reason that engine survived with no apparent harm. At the time, they were running all those TV ads where they drained out the oil on two engines, and watch to see which one failed 1st. I am living testament to that storyline.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 AM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
wow, give it a little time, degreasers and rain, it will go away... maybe even do something as safe as pouring palm-olive dish soap concentrate over each area, i would think that might not bleach out the stone.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Michael-Dallas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996garage
However last week she did just back the Audi A6 into a parking lot stucco wall and caused some damage. Not sure how that happened since the car has parking assist.
I make my fiancee park outside.

///Michael

Does anybody use kitty litter anymore to clean up oil spills...?

Old 11-23-2009, 06:46 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
I make my fiancee park outside.

///Michael

Does anybody use kitty litter anymore to clean up oil spills...?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:10 PM
rbuisa is infamous around these parts
Had a buddy change the oil on his R32. A day later he pulled into his driveway with oil leaking everywhere and coming out the exhaust.

We went over to help a guy out. He was under the car cleaning everything up, intake filter, chasis etc.... checked the dip stick and it was full to the top.....like all the way up the dip stick. Checked it again to make sure. He wanted to start the car but we thought he should take a quart of oil out to drop the level down and check to see if the dip stick reading would change. He goes under the car and about 30 secounds later says...I'm done. Huh?.....that was not a whole quart..we said.... Turns out he was just draining the oil filter....not the pan.

So....heres how it goes....

1-he thought he was draining the orginal oil....he wasn't
2-he added new oil=10 quarts
3-car ran rough(shocker)..so he changed the oil again(drained the filter-added new oil)=15 quarts....

phew..............

Last edited by rbuisa; 11-23-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:11 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
My brother's fiance' hit a road sign going down the highway and she hit a parked bus.....I know.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:08 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
great story.... My wife the Dr. and Attorny who has over 12 years of college behind her can't even put gas in her car. Oil, never. She would not even know how to check the level.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How my spouse ruined my driveway