996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

my new snails vs standard 3076's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:06 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmym3
stock block.
My understanding of conventional thinking is that with a stock block and 3076s that tuning would have to allow for the turbos to hit less violently than they are capable so that rods are not bent and this would introduce alot of lag.

What is yours and Marks feelings on this?

Old 09-07-2009, 06:14 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
The OEM rods are strong! I don't know of anyone who has bent them? To further highlight this point, we can look at Scott's beast (Diverxxxtrem) he had OEM rods in his car and he never had any issues that I am aware of? I dont think the rods are the weak point. I hope this helps.
Robert

Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
My understanding of conventional thinking is that with a stock block and 3076s that tuning would have to allow for the turbos to hit less violently than they are capable so that rods are not bent and this would introduce alot of lag.

What is yours and Marks feelings on this?
On this set up you are correct as far as the tuning goes...
however, these spooled up 300 rpms faster then beat the 3076rs by about 30 rwhp at any given boost. from .8 bar 1.4 bar... (stock motor).
the tune is very conservative as well... yet it did run 5.7s a 1.4 bar on 104 octane.( our own car- gt2 with DRs).
These are very strong turbos... they actually did 932 rwhp on a 993TT...
We have 3 wheels for it.. Nick and Corey both have the middle one...
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
The OEM rods are strong! I don't know of anyone who has bent them? To further highlight this point, we can look at Scott's beast (Diverxxxtrem) he had OEM rods in his car and he never had any issues that I am aware of? I dont think the rods are the weak point. I hope this helps.
Robert
Rob,just and FYI.....Several people have bent the stock rods,I can think of quite a few right off the top of my head.I think it all comes down to the user at the 700+rwhp level whether or not if you are gonna bend them.If you are **** about the fuel and boost level and the car never sees a hint of detonation and you dont do any real hard launching from a dig the car should last a good time around the 700rwhp level.Anything more and you are really playing with fire.
P.S. Scott had Pauter rods in his car when he went to GT30'S.With the 24/18's and about 600rwhp it had stock rods.https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...al-mods-3.html

Old 09-07-2009, 07:22 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
On this set up you are correct as far as the tuning goes...
however, these spooled up 300 rpms faster then beat the 3076rs by about 30 rwhp at any given boost. from .8 bar 1.4 bar... (stock motor).
the tune is very conservative as well... yet it did run 5.7s a 1.4 bar on 104 octane.( our own car- gt2 with DRs).
These are very strong turbos... they actually did 932 rwhp on a 993TT...
We have 3 wheels for it.. Nick and Corey both have the middle one...
mark
Mark,Sounds good......and I would stop showing pics of them.If they are that good it won't be long before someone figures out what they are and starts copying these turbos and sells em cheaper.Happens all the time around here.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
Rob,just and FYI.....Several people have bent the stock rods[....but] if you are **** about the fuel and boost level and the car never sees a hint of detonation and you dont do any real hard launching from a dig the car should last a good time around the 700rwhp level.Anything more and you are really playing with fire.
That is my approach

Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
there not that strong i bent rods 5 and 6 on 18g setup at 1.3 bar... my problem not the right fuel for the 40 degree temps it detonated and bye bye rods

tim

Originally Posted by robmd99
Robert

Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Is it the horsepower or the torque???

Old 09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Bailey mark asewrd that for you .

and as Joe , said hes 100% on the money im extremely **** about checking my boost levels and AFR's constantly , and running good fuels. and i dont do runs from a dig just highway pulls. and Joe , man they are just that good as mark sais, im tottaly in awe with this setup .. i was contemplating in getting a Gallardo ,(yes tim i know LOL ) but not anymore ,the car puts a masssive grin on my face every time i get in it now just like the first day a bought it.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
its the torque that ussualy bends rods. we did have tune the torque down a bit cuase it was real torque monster lol.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Congrats on your set up! I bet you have a ton of power under the curve, which is the most important aspect of any power build.
Robert

Old 09-07-2009, 08:42 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
yup ur right it is the torque it was down low(rpm) in fourth when mine went.... o by the way im looking at a 05 blk gallardo this week

t

its the torque that ussualy bends rods. we did have tune the torque down a bit cuase it was real torque monster lol.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !

and as Joe , said hes 100% on the money im extremely **** about checking my boost levels and AFR's constantly , and running good fuels. and i dont do runs from a dig just highway pulls. and Joe , man they are just that good as mark sais, im tottaly in awe with this setup .. i was contemplating in getting a Gallardo ,(yes tim i know LOL ) but not anymore ,the car puts a masssive grin on my face every time i get in it now just like the first day a bought it.
Glad you are happy with it!!

Any plans to dyno? What do you expect to get?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Way to go and congrats bro!! I remember when Mark and I talked about these turbos a year ago when he was making his magic Great job Mark.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Combination of torque and detonation seems to be the rod problem. That being said this is the case with just about any engine combination, get too aggressive and bring detonation on, your rods are going to get abused.

Can't wait to see what these new turbos do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my new snails vs standard 3076's