996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

handheld flashloader

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 11:09 PM
billhart is infamous around these parts
handheld flashloader

I hadn't really been keeping up with the latest developments on the engine management chip front, but this new product by GIAC seems to have appeal. Does anybody have it yet, has it been installed and run, what are the downsides of such a product, compared with others you might be running? (I am not necessarily going to make huge modifications to my GT-2, if that is required to get more performance with certain chip parameters; plug and play would be my approach- i have done only a few things, fabspeed exhaust, bailey diverters, better air filter). TIA!

Old 11-14-2004, 11:14 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
My understanding is that the flashloader has not yet been produced for the Porsche TT. 6speeders, please let us know otherwise.

TIA!

T

Old 11-14-2004, 11:51 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
i think the main disadvantage is that because there is no hardware encryptor, anyone can overwirte your program and detect it...

Old 11-15-2004, 12:42 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
All in due time folks. Not produced??? Don't believe all the rumors you hear. It still remains encrypted.The 5 chip loader will not be ready for sometime. Keep an eye out for the other though

Old 11-15-2004, 08:19 AM
J.Moss is infamous around these parts
Hello Bill,

Have been installing the "Flashloader" files and using the handheld for a few months in the VW/Audi products.

The transition from a soldered in chip has been seemless and without drama.

The handheld device is basically a switching box. All the extra maps are already installed in your ecu at the time of purchase as long as the options that you are requesting are available at the time.

As for the loss of programs. If you car gets reflashed you will loose your GIAC programs. How this is handled is that at the time of the original install the purchaser's (client) information is stored along with the VIN number is stored at GIAC and with your installer. This shows ownership of a GIAC chip and this information can be easily verified by GIAC or a GIAC dealer. So.. If your car is reflashed you can get reflashed by a GIAC dealer for only a small labor charge and not have to worry about losing your chips.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact your local GIAC dealer.

Jeff Moss

Old 11-15-2004, 10:14 AM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
Spoke to Garrett about this as well. You forgot to mention Jeff that the reflashes by the GIAC handheld does NOT trigger the internal reflash counter. On the Porsches there is a limit to the number of times the ECU can be reflashed. Since Garrett has found away around that this is not an issue.

Long time no talk Jeff. I still plan a trip to socal some day.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Let me know when you are coming down T.

Jeff

Old 11-15-2004, 10:56 AM
billhart is infamous around these parts
So, if i understand this correctly, you don't just buy the handheld flashloader and, as an end-user, effectively reprogram the ECU yourself; instead, the chip has to be preprogrammed by a GIAC dealer with all the variations; then, the handheld device is essentially a "switch" that enables the end-user to choose among the various programs that already have been installed in the ECU, right?
And, there is a question whether the product is available yet for the Porsche TT/GT-2?
I'm not entirely clear on Stephen's comment about the 5-chip loader. Is this the handheld device i was asking about, or something else?

Old 11-15-2004, 11:08 AM
The handheld and P-car flashing is not yet "Out." It has been in testing and will be released very shortly.

Your assessment of the handheld device being a switch is accurate.

Since the handheld is a switch it does not affect the flash counter. The programmer that many of the GIAC dealers will not affect the counter either.

Jeff

Old 11-15-2004, 11:40 AM
JC996TT is infamous around these parts
I have flashed with Garrett. There is no "chip" flashing is just loading new software. It is amazing technology and very dealer friendly as they can't see it. The Dealer sometimes reflashes ECU's and if they do this they will erase software. If they could not re-flash ECU you could get into a warranty issue. This new way they flash it and you take it back and get it reflashed by GIAC dealer no big deal. It will be out very soon and you will be able to use this "switcher" to go back to stock or use a race gas program. The best thing to happen to porsche since turbos... I for one am excited.

Old 11-15-2004, 11:43 AM
As we all are!

Old 11-15-2004, 11:44 AM
JC996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by billhart
So, if i understand this correctly, you don't just buy the handheld flashloader and, as an end-user, effectively reprogram the ECU yourself; instead, the chip has to be preprogrammed by a GIAC dealer with all the variations; then, the handheld device is essentially a "switch" that enables the end-user to choose among the various programs that already have been installed in the ECU, right?
And, there is a question whether the product is available yet for the Porsche TT/GT-2?
I'm not entirely clear on Stephen's comment about the 5-chip loader. Is this the handheld device i was asking about, or something else?
The flash loader is a device that reads and lets you switch ECU to various software that your GIAC dealer has installed. Stephen was just saying it will be a while before you can get fully loaded versions that are out already for the VW/Audi crowd (5 program software bundle) The switcher just selects between preloaded software you as the end user do not program anything.

Old 11-15-2004, 01:34 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Does this coming GIAC device flash over the stock ECU program by simply plugging into the OBD port under the dash like the way the dealer does it ? Or are we still talking about pulling the ECU box out of the car for a new chip or bench reprogramming , single or multiple ( switchable with a remote ) program options aside ?
I think that is Bill's real question and the answers above seem not to address it .

Old 11-15-2004, 02:51 PM
kwb
kwb is infamous around these parts
I purchased a "flash loader" that is made by a company based in Germany called RevoTechnik a few months ago and love it!

www.revotechnik.com

The program is loaded into the ECU via the data plug-in data port (the way it was meant to be done, not by taking out the ECU and soldering on top of it!!!). It comes with a small switch box that you can plug into the data port yourself and select one of several programs (all of which are already loaded onto the ecu), including: stock, 91 octane, 93 octane, 100 octane, vallet....) The car not only performs better - it just seems to run smoother....

There is another box you can get (I didn't) that has more programming options that let you control timing and boost pressures.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by MKW
Does this coming GIAC device flash over the stock ECU program by simply plugging into the OBD port under the dash like the way the dealer does it ? Or are we still talking about pulling the ECU box out of the car for a new chip or bench reprogramming , single or multiple ( switchable with a remote ) program options aside ?
I think that is Bill's real question and the answers above seem not to address it .

The ecu will not need to be pulled if you take your car to a GIAC dealer that can flash P-cars. If you are not near a GIAC P-Car dealer you can send your ecu out and the software can be bench flashed. The ecu will not be opened.
AFAIK the multi programs will not be available at first for the Porsche cars. Although when it becomes available it will be available as an upgrade.

The device shown above is what is currently used to switch programs for the VW/Audi product. When the Porsche multi program files are done the same device will be used.

Jeff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: handheld flashloader