996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

bad news boys.. motor is coming out again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:45 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
several stock.. i get your point

Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
How many turbo motors had this gentleman built that were of your power/boost levels or higher ?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
good info jay thank you!!
tim
Originally Posted by Jay Meagher
I think you have to take a good look at the factory system first before you make changes with hardware. The factory stud may yield/stretch more during assembly than the ARP one. If this is the case it doesn't relax as much after a heat cycle and has a better chance at holding the head down. You can't really say "ARP sucks" without really understanding whats going wrong. The next problem is ARP gives a torque value that the fastener starts to yield at and thats that... going in a small block chevy or a 997 a 7/16 or 11mm fastener gets a similar value. The block/cylinder/head is a whole lot more dynamic on the 997 so you can see where that may start to offer issues. If it was as simple( and maybe it is...) as going to a 12mm fastener life would be great.. But that 12mm fastener is going to take more torque to yield than the 11mm and that could cause more stress/distortion of the assembly, remember it's a system. Or the 12mm relaxes back to some yield that will hold the heads down without re torque? Were the studs installed to ARP's spec? or was someone "giving it a little extra"?

One thing I have done on engines that are a pain in the *** to retorque is heat cycle them on the engine stand. This can be done with a water heater and water pump. All fasteners/engines change after a heat cycle. For those of you that have gone rounds with copper gaskets it's all to present of an issue. I believe "they" said 30% of the stretch was lost in the first heat cycle.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 AM
update

well motor is going back together here is a couple of things notices along the way

leakdown test passed with flying colors
pistons had no signs of detonation thanks to the great protomotive tuning

the ARP studs were not at there original torque rate that we installed them at..... i did a ton of research and its just plain and simple engineering/and proper torque insturuction that matters and raceware fasteners provided both.... i attached the instructions that came with the raceware fasteners i do not have the instructions for the arp it was 2.5 years ago

and yes i will be putting the engine through a full heat cycle and removing the motor and re-torqueing ..yuck but necessary

i know there are a few people with the same issue with the ARP headstud kit please pm me if we can get a enough guys together we can push for some sort of compensation

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Raceware_1.png
Views:	102
Size:	511.6 KB
ID:	106863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raceware_3.png
Views:	109
Size:	585.8 KB
ID:	106865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raceware_4.png
Views:	87
Size:	624.3 KB
ID:	106866  
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
REELDEEP is infamous around these parts
hope it gets fixed soon...

Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 PM
REELDEEP is infamous around these parts
APR studs relly suck.....

Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Why is it ARP studs/bolts can't hold up in Porsche motors but have been perfectly fine in countless other motors (Chevy/Ford/etc) for decades?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Any updates Tim??

Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Absolute must do, very good work. Glad to hear things are moving up.

Originally Posted by colorinc
yes i will be putting the engine through a full heat cycle and removing the motor and re-torqueing ..yuck but necessary

Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
So sorry to hear this stuff. Hope it work sout in the end and you'll back at teh adventure with fond memories.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 AM
madduc is a jewel in the roughmadduc is a jewel in the roughmadduc is a jewel in the rough
Well come'on Color....UPDATES!!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
hey guys so idrove the car for the first time last night... the raceweare headstuds are holding perfectly its amazing how much faster the car is when the heads are bolted down correctly!! feels real good! added a rs flywheel and CM fibertuff disc... and a snow meth kit

Originally Posted by art4iza
Absolute must do, very good work. Glad to hear things are moving up.
thanks art took her out for the first time last night boy what a difference when the heads stay down!! the heat cycling is key although a huge pain!!

Originally Posted by ari
So sorry to hear this stuff. Hope it work sout in the end and you'll back at teh adventure with fond memories.
hey man.. made a great memory last night 1.41 bar second gear punched it the car hooked and started to torque steer LOl i had a smile on my face for an hour just typing this makes me smile...

Originally Posted by flash68
Why is it ARP studs/bolts can't hold up in Porsche motors but have been perfectly fine in countless other motors (Chevy/Ford/etc) for decades?
it has to do with he(case jug head) and the proper torque procedures included from the manufacture of the fastener

Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Glad you got it worked out Tim!

Now go grab some 60-130 data for us!!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Glad she's back together, Tim. You owe us a good 60-130(aka not 7 seconds)

Old 10-22-2009, 10:34 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Glad its back on the road Tim! Enjoy it before the roads go to hell!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:23 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXGold
Glad she's back together, Tim. You owe us a good 60-130(aka not 7 seconds)
Tim you know you do!!! if your not comfortable yet call me LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: bad news boys.. motor is coming out again