996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thinking of building your motor? New EVOMS Head Studs...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:01 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Todd
Congrats on the new addition to the EVOMS family! I do know what is required to run high boost in 996 turbos. I think I might have been the first turbo to break many barriers when it came to boost, displacement and horsepower. So once again I am asking on the comment made by Alex, did you guys run 30 lbs of boost using these studs? If so was it only the studs or did you guys have to do what I think we all have to do to run high boost which includes special head gaskets, O rings and few more items? If not, then WOW you guys are making magic! Please do not take this the wrong way, I am just curious to know the capabilities of these studs.
Congrat on the new baby
Robert

Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Big congrats to SharkWerks and EVOMs; especially the new addition to Todd's family.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m42racer

There is a stud presently on the market sold by 3 companies, designed by one of them that addresses the real reason and is more about the application not the stud.

What companies?
What is the real reason?

Old 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
Robert,

There are MANY different factors to consider when building an engine and how a head stud will perform. 30 PSI of boost is not the only determining factor when it comes head sealing. Factors such as head flow, combustion, cylinder temperatures and other critical occurrences during an engines power producing process will also dictate how an engine can handle 30 PSI of pressure. If the engine is properly built, with good flow, these studs will allow enough head clamping pressure to hold 30 PSI of boost without the other head sealing procedures that you listed above.
Thanks for posting-my question is sort of on the same theme.
With some of your more public builds ( Joe,Kevin, Ben etc) what head sealing methods have been used eg O rings,EVOMS head gasket,12mm studs on each of these builds and others . What is the ideal direction in these types of builds--presuming no cost restrictions!

Last edited by Red 9; 09-12-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:44 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
+1 ...
Originally Posted by red 9
what companies?
What is the real reason?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Red 9
What companies?
What is the real reason?
My guess by the posters name (m42 being a bmw engine) he is referring to or is in someway associated with Performance Developments.

Again, this isnt fact...just my guess.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:11 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
My guess by the posters name (m42 being a bmw engine) he is referring to or is in someway associated with Performance Developments.

Again, this isnt fact...just my guess.
And a pretty darned good guess at that

Old 09-12-2009, 06:17 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Red 9
Thanks for posting-my question is sort of on the same theme.
With some of your more public builds ( Joe,Kevin, Ben etc) what head sealing methods have been used eg O rings,EVOMS head gasket,12mm studs on each of these builds and others . What is the ideal direction in these types of builds--presuming no cost restrictions!
Red, not sure about Ben, but I have just ARP and EVOMS gaskets. Joe and Tom have 12mm studs, EVO gaskets and no o rings. Joe's car has taken near 30 psi with no o rings. Mine has seen a Max of 26psi but has run flawlessly so far at 24 on the street....We will see how it holds up at the mile....

Old 09-12-2009, 06:47 PM
KPG
To be clear about my post, I find nothing wrong with the new studs been offered, nor do I find anything wrong with the ARP studs. My issue is that the ARP studs are getting a bad wrap, when in fact the reason Head gaskets fail has nothing to do with the studs.

Installation procedures, inspection of all parts and a full understanding of the whole problem are the reasons and within lies the solution.
For the benefit of the community as a whole....care to enlighten us?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
For the benefit of the community as a whole....care to enlighten us?

Yeah, Mr. Cryptic...

Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
To be clear about my post, I find nothing wrong with the new studs been offered, nor do I find anything wrong with the ARP studs. My issue is that the ARP studs are getting a bad wrap, when in fact the reason Head gaskets fail has nothing to do with the studs.

Installation procedures, inspection of all parts and a full understanding of the whole problem are the reasons and within lies the solution.
hey m42racer we appreciate any insight/comments etc... But here's what we do know is that the ARP's don't always have the same metallurgy. Is that manufacturing? Is it QA? How come some cars with the same hardware (exact) have heads lifting at 1.1bar and others are fine at 1.3bar-1.5bar etc... Some cars are working better with the same build but using factory/stock head studs.... Begs the question. This is the case with multiple tuners around the country that we know of too My first TT had this very same issues at 1.35bar with ARPs... I'm sure Todd can fill us in more...

Old 09-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !

There are a many different reasons why head gaskets fail and some of the failures are related to the head stud design, quality of the material used and installation procedure. If what you are stating is true, then perhaps the OEM head studs can handle 1000 + wheel HP.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 09-13-2009, 01:32 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
I cannot speak to all the reasons why some of these engines have failed. I was not involved in any of them. But it seems some here that were involved did not get involved either. It seems that the stud has gotten all of the blame. One post here stated some studs were different from one another. If this was the case, did you inspect these before installing them? Something as critical as a head Stud should always be inspected by the engine builder. This is something done by any good builder. Any part installed and or sold should always be tested and not taken for granted.

Yes, I agree there are many reasons why Head gaskets fail. If it can be directed towards the head stud, typically it can be found upon installation. Studs should be installed so that they can turn under tightening and should always be tightened with angle and not a torque. This takes the friction out of the equation. But most of the time it is because of other reasons. You need to look at what is going on when the studs are stretched. Everything. My advice is to look at everything and not just think its the studs.

The OEM studs may be OK if everything else is OK. Remember the other Porsche 4V water cooled Turbo engines of the 80's. These engines are a simplified version of those engines, and they used to make 800 HP in qualification spec with lots of boost. They were smaller displacement so the Cylinder pressures were higher verses bore size. They had 10.00mm studs, and nothing special I'm told. Many other engines have or make well over 1000HP and either use ARP studs or some other type and do not have issues with Head gaskets as a fault. Experience gives some a leg up over those with little or none. This goes for many things in life and its not any different in engine building.

Head Studs are are an important part of any engine, but today if you know your stuff, should not be an issue. Apply good engineering, good product and the problem will no be an issue.

It would not be fair of me to post here what to do to make these engines last. 3 companies offer this proven solution and to state what it is so that those other companies that do not know or have failed to find a solution could find out here for free, is not right. This is about business and the investment should be protected.
Now you are talking in circles with nothing to back up your claims.You can talk sh*t all you want but fact is the stock studs suck,period......and so do the ARP.......who the hell wants to pull their motor after every track day.I can bet you that if you go and look at a new 997 turbo (stock) after 5000 miles the heads are sweating on the ends and there is a spray of oil near the timing chain housings .Hell every turbocharged Porsche flat six ever made has oil sweating problems.except for one that i know of.........drumroll.....that's right mine...well BBB'S too.Want to know how I know?Because Evoms took it apart after a thorough break in, God knows how many dyno pulls and three passes at the Texas mile all over 220 mph and running 28 lbs of boost for the whole mile.These studs work and have been tested.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Any part installed and or sold should always be tested and not taken for granted.

Remember the other Porsche 4V water cooled Turbo engines of the 80's. These engines are a simplified version of those engines, and they used to make 800 HP in qualification spec with lots of boost.
I would have thought something promoted and sold in a sealed packet with instructions and a specification of the product attached-- might actually be of that specification.

The second part of the quote-- these later engines are far superior design to earlier engines( I am presuming you mean air cooled earlier engines--earlier watercooled engines were especially dubious in turbo applications) . Many of the lessons learned in those earlier engines the factory designed out lot of the problems.
Many of the problems referred to here are at significently higher boost than was run in the past.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Not going to get into taking sides... but my car has stock head studs and even stock gaskets... thats a mid 900 rwhp car.. I know we ran 1.63 bar...
I also know that Bobby.s 993 that did 1000+ rwhp and is running 30+ psi has stock studs as well..
that's all I wanted to share..
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of building your motor? New EVOMS Head Studs...