996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thinking of building your motor? New EVOMS Head Studs...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:03 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
just trying to make a point.
Everyone should just make their point at the TX Mile.... a lot simpler this way!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
FWIW,

Installation procedure is CRITICAL and I agree with some of what has been stated. This is not our first rodeo with building high powered Porsche engines. We have built over 150 996TT engines throughout the years and we have learned many things along the way. There is no Porsche manual that tells you how to do some of this. Let’s face it, we are pushing these engines well beyond what some components had ever been intended to withstand. Neil at PD has been doing this a long time and I respect what he does. Also, he did not wake up one day and have all of the answers either. This is a learning process and figuring out better ways of doing things and developing new products to improve upon the entire process is how we are ALL able to continue to push the envelope.

Every engine we build gets assembled using tested procedures from Porsche as well as ones that we have developed. Regarding the head stud installation, this is an area where I agree 100%. Here is a quote from our product release:

"Besides creating a stronger head stud, we incorporated features to make them easier to install and developed an installation procedure to help ensure proper head sealing. Our multi step torque process was developed to minimize installation torque variables and yield the most accurate clamp pressures."

Installation errors can be reduced with an assembly procedure that minimizes error. There are a lot of variables when torque is applied to head studs that were mentioned. I agree that many failures can be attributed to installation, however we have seen some that point to other reasons, thus our desire to create a better head stud that addressed some of the concerns we had with others.

All in all, I believe that we are on the same page with a lot of the different opinions that were stated. I also believe that there are many ways to fix the same problem. Here are a few examples of problems – problems solved:

Example 1: Porsche race engines that made tremendous power lived under tremendous boost. Solution: Weld the heads to prevent lifting.

Example 2: Big powered air cooled 993 turbo engines. Solution: Nirosist ring (flame ring) the heads and cylinders to help prevent the side of the head blowing out when the heads lift.

Example 3: 996TT engine making tremendous power with stock head gaskets and head studs. Solution: increase head sealing pressures and combustion containment with additional copper or steel o-rings in the head

Example 4: 996TT engine making well over 1100 HP and 30 PSI of boost. Solution: 12mm head studs with more clamping pressure and a stronger head gasket without additional copper or steel o-rings in the head

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 09-14-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
FWIW,

Installation procedure is CRITICAL and I agree with some of what has been stated. This is not our first rodeo with building high powered Porsche engines. We have built over 150 996TT engines throughout the years and we have learned many things along the way. There is no Porsche manual that tells you how to do some of this. Let’s face it, we are pushing these engines well beyond what some components had ever been intended to withstand. Neil at PD has been doing this a long time and I respect what he does. Also, he did not wake up one day and have all of the answers either. This is a learning process and figuring out better ways of doing things and developing new products to improve upon the entire process is how we are ALL able to continue to push the envelope.

Every engine we build gets assembled using tested procedures from Porsche as well as ones that we have developed. Regarding the head stud installation, this is an area where I agree 100%. Here is a quote from our product release:

"Besides creating a stronger head stud, we incorporated features to make them easier to install and developed an installation procedure to help ensure proper head sealing. Our multi step torque process was developed to minimize installation torque variables and yield the most accurate clamp pressures."

Installation errors can be reduced with an assembly procedure that minimizes error. There are a lot of variables when torque is applied to head studs that were mentioned. I agree that many failures can be attributed to installation, however we have seen some that point to other reasons, thus our desire to create a better head stud that addressed some of the concerns we had with others.

All in all, I believe that we are on the same page with a lot of the different opinions that were stated. I also believe that there are many ways to fix the same problem. Here are a few examples of problems – problems solved:

Example 1: Porsche race engines that made tremendous power lived under tremendous boost. Solution: Weld the heads to prevent lifting.

Example 2: Big powered air cooled 993 turbo engines. Solution: Nirosist ring (flame ring) the heads and cylinders to help prevent the side of the head blowing out when the heads lift.

Example 3: 996TT engine making tremendous power with stock head gaskets and head studs. Solution: increase head sealing pressures and combustion containment with additional copper or steel o-rings in the head

Example 4: 996TT engine making well over 1100 HP and 30 PSI of boost. Solution: 12mm head studs with more clamping pressure and a stronger head gasket without additional copper or steel o-rings in the head
Great post +1

Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Wish I was taking my motor apart while we were doing my new turbos. I really could uses these studs!

Great Post from Evolution Motorsports by the way!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:50 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
WOW i cant believe all the bashing that goes on here! Guys what the heck! EVOM puts out a good product, Sharky is promoting it and its up to us the end user if we want to buy it, try it and use it. I understand fulling that as soon as you mod a car it stands a chance of breaking at any point. Hell i built a Blower mustang 6 years back and the motor had to come out after the car broke a steel crank in the burn out box! STUFF happens!!

Congrats to Evoms! great product Development!! Glad to see that the 996 is not being toss to the side and development has stopped.

Alex Again. Great thread you started! Cheers!!

Last edited by UrbanHotrod; 09-14-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW,

Thanks for your expert comment.
With example 4-- are you satisfied with this solution ie is it succesfull? Where would you go from there?

Old 09-14-2009, 03:54 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PALETTE
WOW i cant believe all the bashing that goes on here! Guys what the heck! EVOM puts out a good product, Sharky is promoting it and its up to us the end user if we want to buy it, try it and use it. I understand fulling that as soon as you mod a car it stands a chance of breaking at any point. Hell i built a Blower mustang 6 years back and the motor had to come out after the car broke a steel crank in the burn out box! STUFF happens!!

Congrats to Evoms! great product Development!! Glad to see that the 996 is not being toss to the side and development has stopped.

Alex Again. Great thread you started! Cheers!!
Cheers for the support PALETTE... Sad to see it to but yes there's a lot of politics and behind the scenes passive-aggressive stuff going on but the fact does remain that whether it's an EVOMS, Protomotive, SharkWerks etc... built engine more often than not in the past ARP head studs were recommended and/or used during the build and issues have been found with the consistency of the metallurgy of the ARP's... Luckily EVOMS has got this solution which they've proven to work in cars with 700-1000hp

Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Cheers for the support PALETTE... Sad to see it to but yes there's a lot of politics and behind the scenes passive-aggressive stuff going on but the fact does remain that whether it's an EVOMS, Protomotive, SharkWerks etc... built engine more often than not in the past ARP head studs were recommended and/or used during the build and issues have been found with the consistency of the metallurgy of the ARP's... Luckily EVOMS has got this solution which they've proven to work in cars with 700-1000hp
+1 and I am sure you have seen the case they came in and the accompanied torque specs which were suggested by ARP that were absolutely wrong.I bet some of the techs that installed the ARP studs went with the ARP suggested torque specs.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by evolution motorsports
fwiw,

installation procedure is critical and i agree with some of what has been stated. This is not our first rodeo with building high powered porsche engines. We have built over 150 996tt engines throughout the years and we have learned many things along the way. There is no porsche manual that tells you how to do some of this. Let’s face it, we are pushing these engines well beyond what some components had ever been intended to withstand. Neil at pd has been doing this a long time and i respect what he does. Also, he did not wake up one day and have all of the answers either. This is a learning process and figuring out better ways of doing things and developing new products to improve upon the entire process is how we are all able to continue to push the envelope.

every engine we build gets assembled using tested procedures from porsche as well as ones that we have developed. Regarding the head stud installation, this is an area where i agree 100%. Here is a quote from our product release:

"besides creating a stronger head stud, we incorporated features to make them easier to install and developed an installation procedure to help ensure proper head sealing. our multi step torque process was developed to minimize installation torque variables and yield the most accurate clamp pressures."

installation errors can be reduced with an assembly procedure that minimizes error. There are a lot of variables when torque is applied to head studs that were mentioned. I agree that many failures can be attributed to installation, however we have seen some that point to other reasons, thus our desire to create a better head stud that addressed some of the concerns we had with others.

all in all, i believe that we are on the same page with a lot of the different opinions that were stated. I also believe that there are many ways to fix the same problem. Here are a few examples of problems – problems solved:

example 1: Porsche race engines that made tremendous power lived under tremendous boost. Solution: Weld the heads to prevent lifting.

xxxxxxx

example 2: Big powered air cooled 993 turbo engines. Solution: nirosist ring (flame ring) the heads and cylinders to help prevent the side of the head blowing out when the heads lift.

example 3: 996tt engine making tremendous power with stock head gaskets and head studs. Solution: Increase head sealing pressures and combustion containment with additional copper or steel o-rings in the head

example 4: 996tt engine making well over 1100 hp and 30 psi of boost. Solution: 12mm head studs with more clamping pressure and a stronger head gasket without additional copper or steel o-rings in the head
xxxxxx

Last edited by cjv; 05-06-2022 at 02:56 PM. Reason: removing images per photobucket
Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by m42racer
If I came across arrogant it was not my intention. If you took it this way, then all I can say is sorry.

I have absolutely nothing against the EVOMS Head stud. They look like they are made by A1 and this company make some great fasteners. My beef is and has always been how the ARP stud has taken it in the shorts when the problem is and has never been with the stud.
We have used ARP studs for many years. If the average shop assembles a Porsche engine with ARP studs and uses the torque procedures that are recommended by ARP, there can be problems. Additionally, there are other issues that you mentioned when comparing the thread strength of the case vs. the stud strength. There are other procedures that have to be performed to increase the case strength that they make no mention of in their assembly instructions. So, this goes back to experience, understanding these engines, and recognizing the weakest link and improving upon it. The ARP is a decent stud but not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that their installation procedure is not even close makes them a liability for the average engine builder doing a few of these engines a year.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by cjv;254027

[img
https://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/cjv996tt/IMG_5074.jpg[/img]

Or you could do this . Thank you Chad. I knew I could count on you to combine a majority of these technologies Nirosist ringing has been around since the 70's on the boosted Porsche race engines. Since their were no head gaskets, the air cooled heads had a weak spot around the combustion chambers. If the heads lifted, the cumbustion energy could blow out the sides of the heads if they did not have this "flame ring" installed. Typically they were a 1.5mm thick stainless steel ring that were ~ 3mm tall. There was a receiving groove cut into the heads around each combustion chamber that was ~ 1.5mm wide by 1.5mm deep. This same ~ 1.5mm wide by 1.5mm deep groove was also cut into the top of each cylinder. This created a wall around the each combustion chamber that allowed some head movement without causing leakage.

As Chad has shown, a version of this can be accomplished on a water cooled 996TT engine and can be very affective to contain cylinder pressures. There are many different methods of head sealing that can all have the same end result. There are also methods of increasing clamp force on the heads to create a better seal. This can be done by dispersing the clamp force across a wider area around each stud as well as increasing the strength of the case. There also comes a point that the force of the head clamping can have an adverse affect on the entire case and start to distort the main journals. Lets face it, if the block were steel and built like a supra, alot of these problems would not be an issue.

Last edited by cjv; 05-06-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:18 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Or you could do this . Thank you Chad. I knew I could count on you to combine a majority of these technologies Nirosist ringing has been around since the 70's on the boosted Porsche race engines. Since their were no head gaskets, the air cooled heads had a weak spot around the combustion chambers. If the heads lifted, the cumbustion energy could blow out the sides of the heads if they did not have this "flame ring" installed. Typically they were a 1.5mm thick stainless steel ring that were ~ 3mm tall. There was a receiving groove cut into the heads around each combustion chamber that was ~ 1.5mm wide by 1.5mm deep. This same ~ 1.5mm wide by 1.5mm deep groove was also cut into the top of each cylinder. This created a wall around the each combustion chamber that allowed some head movement without causing leakage.

Question on the Receiver groove.
When you have Cut the head for the O ring i assume that the head has been squared first, Are you running a Ceramic seal through the cooling system to ensure that headstuds and o rings are not leaking? I have seen the head studs leak through the threads and through the water jackets, Not 100% sure if the Porsche 996 block has the water passage going underneath the studs.
I just want to ask so no one on the board says "well no one told me" That's why we have ENGINE BUILDERS!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Former Vendor
BBI Betim has much to be proud ofBBI Betim has much to be proud ofBBI Betim has much to be proud ofBBI Betim has much to be proud ofBBI Betim has much to be proud ofBBI Betim has much to be proud ofBBI Betim has much to be proud ofBBI Betim has much to be proud ofBBI Betim has much to be proud of

As Chad has shown, a version of this can be accomplished on a water cooled 996TT engine and can be very affective to contain cylinder pressures. There are many different methods of head sealing that can all have the same end result. There are also methods of increasing clamp force on the heads to create a better seal. This can be done by dispersing the clamp force across a wider area around each stud as well as increasing the strength of the case. There also comes a point that the force of the head clamping can have an adverse affect on the entire case and start to distort the main journals. Lets face it, if the block were steel and built like a supra, alot of these problems would not be an issue.
Great post +1, For readers who are not behind the wrenches(and the ones behind the wrenches), this is an extremely informative read. Good stuff.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Well, not sure how many studs per cylinder Porsches have, I'd say it's 4 looking at CJV's pictures, however I remember that Ford engines had the same problem when used in boosted applications and GM was far superior since it was using 5 fasteners per cylinder. I'm no expert on porsche engines and am yet to take one apart, althou someday I'm sure I will.

I believe that the problem might not be with just the fasteners itself, but how loads are distributed on the surface. Also, let's keep in mind that temperatures also make the block and the heads expand and contract. The oil sweat you see around the heads, probably doesn't happen when the engine is warmed up and running but rather when cold.

O- ringing has been around for years and is nothing new, but keep in mind that headgaskets usually don't blow unless there is detonation in the cylinders.

The way I see it the way the engine was made from the factory the HG is a safetynet. I'd reather pop a head gasket than bend a rod, crack a block, piston or the head.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !

I actually do not believe the material is nirosist. I can't remember exactly what it is.

Our heads and case is set up for 12 mm studs that have all the tricks re taper, thread, cut washers etc. Certain water passages to two cylinders have been re worked to provide additional cooling. You can see the combustion chambers and exhaust ports have been ceramic coated. The head temperatures in previous engine dyno runs were running about 800 degrees cooler.

Don't forget the pistons will also incorporate extra cooling a la oil chambers under the domes. The liners also have hugh 965 type liner squirters that provide more cooling to the liners. The GT1 oil oil pump is three index and one index pulls the oil right off each head.

Now enough of being off topic before Joe gives me a another reprimand.

Again, a big thank you to EVO for advancing the state of the art for the 996/996tt with their new product.

Last edited by cjv; 09-16-2009 at 07:31 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of building your motor? New EVOMS Head Studs...