996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dual Imput (Snorkel) Airbox for Stock Dry Filter (Comments)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by winnigt2
the second snorkel is from 997tt inlet decklid.....i cut out the opening for the 997tt inlet ....but it is not so easy to find the synchronisation between the opening from the airbox to the modified opening in the decklid, but possible to do. My first test was doing with the original Airbox. I cut the opening in the oem Airbox, but the flow from the Agency Airbox is a little better.

sorry my english is not the best
Thanks... Now i have a better understanding...

Old 10-09-2009, 12:32 PM
sc_trojan has a spectacular aura aboutsc_trojan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by enoyskt
Hi guys, Im actually in stage 1 of development of a all plastic one. Will report back with some mold pictures soon Also working on a few other goodies ::shhh::
count me in for a more economical option.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM
garrickl is infamous around these parts
Secret snorkle project

I am interested also.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Me Too!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 PM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
As with many great ideas, often , someone already has thought of it.

I believe CJV had this exact mod in his car back in 2007. I hope he doesn't mind if I suggest that those interested should PM him for details.I recall that some of the parts were commercially available, but not sure where.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Tongue in Cheek!

The AP Dual Flow Carbon Air Intake Kit for the Porsche 996TT is a great idea. But IMHO very tacky. Why do people like the look of a Carbon Part stuck in the engine compartment. to me it looks like a bodge!

OK, maybe I am over reacting, but I would love this mod on my car if it looked the part. A Piece of Porsche plastic on the right, Carbon on the left, Porsche Plastic in the back and Carbon on the front, to me simply does not cut it and could not look any more of an afterthought. I wish people would design (from an astetic perspective) what we really want not what they think we want. If I was driving a $15k "Rice Rocket" full of aftermarket pods and other c#$p, I would understand, but I am not. I like to think I am driving an $80k Marque.

Why can't someone simply create exactly the same mod out of regular Plastic just like the stock airbox so it look as if it was meant to be there. I think it would sell a lot better.

Not to mention the $600 price tag. Do people actually buy this stuff?

Or even better a retrofit kit for the stock airbox, now that would be ideal.

Come on people, please design useful mods like this, but make them sensible. I would certainly get one if it was closer to the stock look.

Off Soap Box.

It probably has to do with the fact that fiberglass and carbon fiber are easier to lay up in limited numbers and molds are easier to be made than forms for injection molded plastic.

Same reason why aftermarket DV are CNC machined.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rafiki
As with many great ideas, often , someone already has thought of it.

I believe CJV had this exact mod in his car back in 2007. I hope he doesn't mind if I suggest that those interested should PM him for details.I recall that some of the parts were commercially available, but not sure where.
Perhaps CJV can offer some comments via this thread.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:46 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wross996TT
nope

nope...unlike some other intake mods...LOL
Sort of off topic, but I just spent a bunch of time on the dyno chasing other problems and took the opportunity to try different filters. I dyno'd my stock paper filter (which I run all the time in my stock air box and piping), a K&N and NO filter. I was careful to make sure all pulls started at 185deg or so, to try to keep it somewhat consistant. At my power level (600whp ish) there was a 2-8hp difference over the length of the curve with "no filter" having the advantage on spool. My car doesn't make that much more power with a K&N than it does with the stock paper filter and I attribute that to the unbelievable surface area of that filter. The paper filters WAAYYY better than the K&N and I will stick to paper.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:33 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
Sort of off topic, but I just spent a bunch of time on the dyno chasing other problems and took the opportunity to try different filters. I dyno'd my stock paper filter (which I run all the time in my stock air box and piping), a K&N and NO filter. I was careful to make sure all pulls started at 185deg or so, to try to keep it somewhat consistant. At my power level (600whp ish) there was a 2-8hp difference over the length of the curve with "no filter" having the advantage on spool. My car doesn't make that much more power with a K&N than it does with the stock paper filter and I attribute that to the unbelievable surface area of that filter. The paper filters WAAYYY better than the K&N and I will stick to paper.

+1

I don't want dirt in my engine....

For the price of all of this and the time, you could do a few days of DE. For me, DE is the better value.

Jeff

Old 11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Any update on the development of a plastic alternative to the carbon fiber pieces?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 PM
a66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider

Why can't someone simply create exactly the same mod out of regular Plastic just like the stock airbox so it look as if it was meant to be there. I think it would sell a lot better.

Or even better a retrofit kit for the stock airbox, now that would be ideal.

Come on people, please design useful mods like this, but make them sensible. I would certainly get one if it was closer to the stock look.
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I wish they'd make it in a simple black plastic part too. I don't need bling in my me engine bay. I'd just like the extra airflow.
I agree, just want it to look stock and in plastic.

I think that if more people actually considered dropping an extra 25 pounds off their backside, their cars would go faster and you would save all that $$$$$'s to spend on great go-fast mods.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
a66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by adam699
It probably has to do with the fact that fiberglass and carbon fiber are easier to lay up in limited numbers and molds are easier to be made than forms for injection molded plastic.

Same reason why aftermarket DV are CNC machined.

If that is the case, then why is Carbon Fiber so darn expensive? I mean in the end, isn't it just a fancier and stronger version of fiberglass?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Alexcwt is infamous around these parts
a fiber infused ABS injection mould for the air box would cost somewhere in the vicinity of $60k depending on quality. Not to mention the design, CNC, testing, etc. Then each run will be 10k pcs before anyone will tool up their machines. They will have to sell a whole lot of air boxes to recover that investment.

High quality CF is expensive because the raw material and the process (laying, pressurized baking, curing, etc.). But much smaller initial investment as they have to make one at a time. Fiber glass on the other hand do not need the baking and curing. Just let the epoxy cure and your done.

If you don't like the CF look, go buy a can of spray plsti-dip and spray it. You'll have a rubberized look much closer to the factory look.

If you use regular "plastic", it will warp from the engine heat in no time.

Last edited by Alexcwt; 11-16-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:05 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alexcwt
a fiber infused ABS injection mould for the air box would cost somewhere in the vicinity of $60k depending on quality. Not to mention the design, CNC, testing, etc. Then each run will be 10k pcs before anyone will tool up their machines. They will have to sell a whole lot of air boxes to recover that investment. High quality CF is expensive because the raw material and the process (laying, baking, curing, etc.). But much smaller initial investment as they have to make one at a time.

If you don't like the CF look, go buy a can of spray plsti-dip and spray it. It'll have a rubberized look instead.

correct...cf is also expensive as there are not a lot of manufacturers of the material...simple supply demand...

Old 11-17-2009, 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by Scottslaw
Any update on the development of a plastic alternative to the carbon fiber pieces?
We Can only wish.

Originally Posted by Alexcwt
Just Like the Stock One does?

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 11-17-2009 at 03:37 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dual Imput (Snorkel) Airbox for Stock Dry Filter (Comments)