996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dual Imput (Snorkel) Airbox for Stock Dry Filter (Comments)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:49 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Dual Imput (Snorkel) Airbox for Stock Dry Filter (Comments)

Tongue in Cheek!

The AP Dual Flow Carbon Air Intake Kit for the Porsche 996TT is a great idea. But IMHO very tacky. Why do people like the look of a Carbon Part stuck in the engine compartment. to me it looks like a bodge!

OK, maybe I am over reacting, but I would love this mod on my car if it looked the part. A Piece of Porsche plastic on the right, Carbon on the left, Porsche Plastic in the back and Carbon on the front, to me simply does not cut it and could not look any more of an afterthought. I wish people would design (from an astetic perspective) what we really want not what they think we want. If I was driving a $15k "Rice Rocket" full of aftermarket pods and other c#$p, I would understand, but I am not. I like to think I am driving an $80k Marque.

Why can't someone simply create exactly the same mod out of regular Plastic just like the stock airbox so it look as if it was meant to be there. I think it would sell a lot better.

Not to mention the $600 price tag. Do people actually buy this stuff?

Or even better a retrofit kit for the stock airbox, now that would be ideal.

Come on people, please design useful mods like this, but make them sensible. I would certainly get one if it was closer to the stock look.

Off Soap Box.

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Tongue in Cheek!

The AP Dual Flow Carbon Air Intake Kit for the Porsche 996TT is a great idea. But IMHO very tacky.
Do you show off your engine a lot? like "check out my flat 6"

Its a great mod, i think the CF actually looks good, I'd rock one!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:49 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I happen to agree with OP. Bling in the engine is not my thing...for some it is. I just want function. If CF was only 10% more expensive...bring it on!

Air doesn't care if the box is CF....

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-14-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:06 PM
enoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to behold
Im on it, Will report back with developmental stages, Anyone care to break into a suitable pricepoint for dual snorkel?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:38 PM
garrickl is infamous around these parts
I am for the stock look also ..... does the second snorkel unit design take into consideration water issues if it rains?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Michael-Dallas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LiNks
Do you show off your engine a lot? like "check out my flat 6"

Its a great mod, i think the CF actually looks good, I'd rock one!
Nope, I don't show off my engine at all. I don't even detail it.

So tell me why, again, it has to be expensive CF...

///Michael

Old 09-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
does the second snorkel unit design take into consideration water issues if it rains?
There is no problem with water. I have run it for almost a year now and in that time I have driven in some pretty strong downpours, as well as, extended hours in the rain on several occasions and can report that there are no issues with water. I happen to love the carbon fiber look and was delighted to see this product offered in CF. However, I ordered my car with full carbon fiber interior for $8,500.00 :-)

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I think the CF snorkel and front of the airbox look AWESOME, also that snorkel is larger than the stock one so it will allow more air in. But it does look REALLY tacky to only have one in CF and the back of the airbox in Plastic. Either do it completely in CF or completely in plastic, but bits and pieces in both does look tacky. And to those that talk about aesthetics being unimportant...go to ANY cars and coffee even and one of the first things you want to see when looking at peoples cars, is their engine compartments. So yes, function first, but why not make it look good too as long as it is functional. Infact if we didn't want to drive good looking cars, and only cared about performance, half of the modded cars here would be '91 camaro's with 1500hp (just threw up in my mouth a little) and still have money left over for a brand new Prius lol

Old 09-13-2009, 10:41 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
I dont think it would be too hard to make the passenger side in CF as well to get a more even look. Maybe an idea for Dan to work on.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dgreen78
I dont think it would be too hard to make the passenger side in CF as well to get a more even look. Maybe an idea for Dan to work on.
^That would make it 4000% better

Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I spoke to Dan about this and he can have it done. I am going to have mine done this winter...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 09-14-2009, 08:10 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
I used some carbon stickers and it looks great.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
can you get the dual snorkel set up and air box to work on a GT2 style decklid and wing?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I think the CF snorkel and front of the airbox look AWESOME, also that snorkel is larger than the stock one so it will allow more air in. But it does look REALLY tacky to only have one in CF and the back of the airbox in Plastic. Either do it completely in CF or completely in plastic, but bits and pieces in both does look tacky. And to those that talk about aesthetics being unimportant...go to ANY cars and coffee even and one of the first things you want to see when looking at peoples cars, is their engine compartments. So yes, function first, but why not make it look good too as long as it is functional. Infact if we didn't want to drive good looking cars, and only cared about performance, half of the modded cars here would be '91 camaro's with 1500hp (just threw up in my mouth a little) and still have money left over for a brand new Prius lol
No offense meant. Completely agree...if both were CV it would look a whole lot better...or both plastic.

Porsche always seems to zoom into the intake on the 997TT for what it is worth in adds/photo-ops, as does Top Gear....

I apologize if I offended.

Jeff

Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I wish they'd make it in a simple black plastic part too. I don't need bling in my me engine bay. I'd just like the extra airflow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dual Imput (Snorkel) Airbox for Stock Dry Filter (Comments)